Vista Bitlocker

Old February 15th 07, 07:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mike

Default Vista Bitlocker

I have a Asus A8n32-sli deluxe

I have installed M$ Vista Ultimate 64 bit
all is fine and running good. I want to turn on
Bitlocker. But is says my (TPM) is disabled or
missing. I have read that if your mainboard
has this feature, you turn it on-off from your
system bios. Does the A8n32-sli deluxe have a
TPM chip ? If it does have this, How do it turn
it on ?

Thanks
Mike

Old February 15th 07, 01:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Mike wrote:
I have a Asus A8n32-sli deluxe

I have installed M$ Vista Ultimate 64 bit
all is fine and running good. I want to turn on
Bitlocker. But is says my (TPM) is disabled or
missing. I have read that if your mainboard
has this feature, you turn it on-off from your
system bios. Does the A8n32-sli deluxe have a
TPM chip ? If it does have this, How do it turn
it on ?

Thanks
Mike

https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/faq/TPMFAQ/

"Is the TPM required for BitLocker?
If so, is it only the 1.2 version?

For BitLocker to make use of a TPM, it must be a
1.2 version and the system must have a BIOS that
meets TCG requirements. While it is possible to
use BitLocker without a TPM by storing the keying
material on a USB flash drive, this is not the
preferred customer configuration, nor is it expected
to be typical usage due to the cost and manageability
challenges associated with this mode of use."

That blurb implies the BIOS must be TPM-aware. And
that a module be plugged in. I've heard of a
Gigabyte motherboard (GA-M59SLI-S5), that had a header
provided to plug in a module, but the trick in that case,
is finding the module. A quick search is not turning up
anything of interest right now. And even if you did somehow
attach a module to the motherboard, then there is the
issue of the BIOS not knowing about it.

There are some pictures of proprietary TPM modules he
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport..._DD030611_CW01

To me right now, BitLocker looks like it is best suited
to a brand new shiny computer, where the TPM is built
in. The idea of storing a key on a USB stick isn't too
appealing. Imagine the USB stick fails to operate, how
happy you'd be.

Paul

All in Wonder on Vista, never [email protected] Ati Videocards 19 February 9th 07 03:46 PM
BE7 and Vista Marcus Homebuilt PC's 18 February 1st 07 04:30 AM
BE7 and Vista Marcus Overclocking 17 January 31st 07 01:24 AM
Vista and A8R-MVP? Jerry Asus Motherboards 10 January 29th 07 10:11 AM
Vista OS? Miss Information Matrox Videocards 1 August 11th 06 04:13 PM