Epson 1280 primes all the time

Old January 6th 07, 07:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Meander Holefield

Default Epson 1280 primes all the time

My Epson 1280 recently began malfunctioning.

If it is off for more than about 15 seconds, then powered up, it goes
through a prime or clean and then at first print it says new non-OEM carts
are installed. It does this every time it's been turned back on after
being off for about 15 seconds or more.

If it's only off for about 10 seconds, a power up does not cause it to go
through a prime/clean.

I used to get that new cart message only at the first print after I changed
a cartridge. I wouldn't see that message again until the cart was changed
at empty. Now that it's malfunctioning, it's telling me both cartridges
are new and non-OEM.

I'm using the same 3rd party inks that I've used for a couple of years.
Never had trouble with them before. I've changed the carts twice from
different lot numbers and still the same problem. They're not auto-reset
chips because the ink counters aren't affected by this malfunction.

It's acting like it's forgetting that cartridges were installed during
prior sessions. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a secret button press
sequence that can get me out of this?

I guess I need a service manual. Where can I get a "real" Epson manual? I
see many sold for $30 to $50 on the web and that's an okay price but I'd
rather not buy some manual that was pieced together from other models. I'd
like to get a "real" Epson 1280 manual. Can such a thing be had?

Please, let me know what you think. No matter how technical. I can handle
it.

Without knowing anything, it sounds to me like a capacitor, NiCd coin, or
Dallas clock is not maintaining some chip's registration or something.

Thank you all.
//rus\\
Old January 6th 07, 08:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Meander Holefield wrote:
My Epson 1280 recently began malfunctioning.

If it is off for more than about 15 seconds, then powered up, it goes
through a prime or clean and then at first print it says new non-OEM carts
are installed. It does this every time it's been turned back on after
being off for about 15 seconds or more.

If it's only off for about 10 seconds, a power up does not cause it to go
through a prime/clean.

I used to get that new cart message only at the first print after I changed
a cartridge. I wouldn't see that message again until the cart was changed
at empty. Now that it's malfunctioning, it's telling me both cartridges
are new and non-OEM.

I'm using the same 3rd party inks that I've used for a couple of years.
Never had trouble with them before.

It takes time but now you do. Just buy a complete set of Epson ink and
the problem will most likely go away.
I've changed the carts twice from
different lot numbers and still the same problem. They're not auto-reset
chips because the ink counters aren't affected by this malfunction.

It's acting like it's forgetting that cartridges were installed during
prior sessions. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a secret button press
sequence that can get me out of this?

I guess I need a service manual.

No you need Epson ink

Old January 6th 07, 08:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Meander Holefield

Hmmm.

Just found some manuals on line for 870-1270. Don't know if this 1280 is
similar.

Anyway ... there's a CR2032 Lithium coin in that 870-1270 series. Guess it's
time to crack open my 1280 looking for a battery?

Anybody else think so?

//rus\\

Old January 6th 07, 09:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

"Meander Holefield" wrote in message
5.254...
Hmmm.

Just found some manuals on line for 870-1270. Don't know if this 1280 is
similar.

Anyway ... there's a CR2032 Lithium coin in that 870-1270 series. Guess
it's
time to crack open my 1280 looking for a battery?

Anybody else think so?

//rus\\

Your speculation of the battery being exhausted is a plausible thought from
what you're saying about the different cartridges being found each time the
printer is turned on.. However, give your post at least a day before
cracking the case. Someone may come up with an alternative theory here.
How many years old is your printer?
There may be a trick to get to the battery without disassembling the
machine to the point of re-alignment or necessity to remove many parts if
this is in fact what must be done.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old January 7th 07, 12:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Meander Holefield wrote:
Hmmm.

Just found some manuals on line for 870-1270. Don't know if this 1280 is
similar.

Anyway ... there's a CR2032 Lithium coin in that 870-1270 series. Guess it's
time to crack open my 1280 looking for a battery?

Anybody else think so?

//rus\\

I'm not sure but I think the 1280 is the A3 version of the 880. If not it is
very similar to the other printers in the 1200 series.
Usually there are 4 screws to remove, lift the cover off (after moving the PG
lever to the + position) followed by a shield over the main board and the
battery should be visible.
The battery does indeed affect the timing of printhead cleaning cycles as you
have correctly determinded so it is well worth the effort to replace it.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old January 7th 07, 06:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Meander Holefield

Meander Holefield wrote in
5.254:

Hmmm.

Just found some manuals on line for 870-1270. Don't know if this 1280 is
similar.

Anyway ... there's a CR2032 Lithium coin in that 870-1270 series. Guess

it's
time to crack open my 1280 looking for a battery?

Anybody else think so?

//rus\\

Cracked the case. Pulled the board. No battery there. A large block
capacitor is in its place. Battery must have been used some time ago.

The printer is just under a year old. It's still under warranty but I
don't feel light fighting with Epson over 3rd party carts. That's all I've
ever used in this 1280.

Now to search for a replacement capacitor. It will be easy to replace if I
can find a suitable sub. Or, I guess I'll see if I can get a decent price
on a new mainboard and a copy of the service software.

//rus\\
Old January 7th 07, 08:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Meander Holefield wrote:
Meander Holefield wrote in
. 45.254:

[...]

The information I have indicates there is a Lithium Battery in the 1280 (it is
a Stylus Photo 1280, is that right?).
E-mail me if you would like more help. I can also help with service adjustments.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old January 7th 07, 04:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Meander Holefield

Tony wrote in
news
Meander Holefield wrote:
[...]

Nope. Battery idea must have been shelved some time ago. In place of the
battery there's what's known as a "super capacitor." Works like a
rechargeable battery except that it won't develop a memory effect. A
capacitor shouldn't require but a few seconds to charge although specs for
similar memory backup capacitors suggest a 24 hour charge time ... that's
wierd. I can't believe that's correct. Oh, well.

There's still about 45 days warranty left. I see there's an Epson service
facility about 15 miles from me. I'll call them Monday and see if they can
perform warranty service. If so, I'll haul it in.

If I have to ship to Epson for warranty, it's probably not worthwhile to
seek remedy under the warranty. It's about $38 U.S. to ship it to Epson by
UPS. Then, if Epson denies service because of the 3rd party cartridges,
they're going to charge me to ship it back to me unrepaired.

$38 shipping to Epson and $38 shipping back to my house = $76 blown and
printer still broken.

If they repair it at cost to me, I'll presume I'll still have to pay
shipping both ways and I know there will be some repair cost.

Looks like for about $99 I can get a new mainboard and be done with it.
It's easy to remove and replace. Only snag is that I need the Epson
service floppies to make those simple adjustments for the new board. I
haven't inquired yet about the board. Seems that the service adjustment
software should be part of the main board price but I'll bet it's not.
Actually, I'll bet the program isn't even available to the end victim like
myself.

Oh, well. Lesson learned. From now on, I'll just stick to the low-end
Epsons that can be considered disposable.

I should have known that the first time I embarked upon a considerable
investment in Epson equipment, it would fail me. If me and 20 people each
buy the same thing, I'll be the one who gets the bad one. Story of my
life. I had been dreaming about the R1800. Guess I'll forget that idea.
It will just turn out to be a nightmare like this 1280.

For the benefit of those who use 3rd party ink, I'll come back to report on
my warranty attempt. I'm not going to hide them even though I've got some
Epson OEM carts. I'm leaving the 3rd party carts in the slots when I take
it to the local facility. Maybe if I play fair, Epson will as well.

To be continued ...

//rus\\
Old January 8th 07, 12:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

"Meander Holefield" wrote in message
.252...
Tony wrote in
news
Meander Holefield wrote:
Meander Holefield wrote in
8.45.254:

[...]

The problem you've explained seems to have nothing to do with 3rd part
cartridges and I would expect Epson to deal as such. and fix your machine.
They could use some good publicity for all the negatives they've been
getting in the past year. For what it's worth, since you've got this dream,
I've been using a R1800 for a year and a half (half a year with cartridges I
fill) and it's a delight to use.

--
Jan Alter

or

How To Get 1 Million Visitors Without Paying A Dime In Advertising sevil ince Gateway Computers 3 October 21st 05 11:07 PM
Epson 1280 graphics unclear Gary Printers 1 October 17th 05 12:19 PM
Epson 1280 graphics unclear Safetymom123 Printers 0 October 16th 05 01:13 PM
Epson 1280 - HELP Trevor Printers 9 February 29th 04 09:19 AM
Epson 1280 - HELP Trevor Printers 8 February 29th 04 02:27 AM