ASUS P5W DH Deluxe board - CPU Temperature vs. CPU Core Temperature

Old January 1st 07, 11:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Smith

Default ASUS P5W DH Deluxe board - CPU Temperature vs. CPU Core Temperature

My Core duo CPU is reported as having a temp of 23 C w/both cores at 35C.

How to I interpret that. Which figure is more relevant.

BTW - this is done w/out a CPU fan - I am using the new Thermalright HR-01
with the fan duct. However, w/no CPU fan and no power supply fan (Antec
semi-fanless PS), the system is no quieter than my last one. The two case
fans, while quiet, don't produce a quiet PC.

Old January 2nd 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Phil

"John Smith" wrote in message
. ..
My Core duo CPU is reported as having a temp of 23 C w/both cores at 35C.

How to I interpret that. Which figure is more relevant.

BTW - this is done w/out a CPU fan - I am using the new Thermalright HR-01
with the fan duct. However, w/no CPU fan and no power supply fan (Antec
semi-fanless PS), the system is no quieter than my last one. The two case
fans, while quiet, don't produce a quiet PC.

They are both relevant. The CPU temp displayed in the BIOS, ASUS Probe 2, or
Speedfan, is measured by a thermal diode on the CPU die, while core temps
are measured by a digital thermal sensor near each core. The location of the
two digital thermal sensors is significantly hotter than the location of the
single thermal diode.

-phil

Old January 2nd 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Phil

"John Smith" wrote in message
. ..
Are the readings below reasonable/safe.

"Phil" wrote in message
news
"John Smith" wrote in message
. ..
My Core duo CPU is reported as having a temp of 23 C w/both cores at
35C.

How to I interpret that. Which figure is more relevant.

BTW - this is done w/out a CPU fan - I am using the new Thermalright
HR-01 with the fan duct. However, w/no CPU fan and no power supply fan
(Antec semi-fanless PS), the system is no quieter than my last one. The
two case fans, while quiet, don't produce a quiet PC.

They are both relevant. The CPU temp displayed in the BIOS, ASUS Probe 2,
or Speedfan, is measured by a thermal diode on the CPU die, while core
temps are measured by a digital thermal sensor near each core. The
location of the two digital thermal sensors is significantly hotter than
the location of the single thermal diode.

-phil

Actually, your temps seem lower than what is typical for air-cooling, with
this board/CPU. Assuming they are correct, though, they are fantastic temps.

-phil

Old January 2nd 07, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mitch Crane

"John Smith" wrote in
:

Are the readings below reasonable/safe.

I'd call them excellent.

"Phil" wrote in message
news
. ..

--
ybbxvatyvxrnobeantnvayvivatyvxrnurergvpyvfgravatgb neguheyrrerpbeqfznxv
atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqg urerfgbsgurvetrareng
Old January 5th 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
nospam

Mitch Crane wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in
:

Are the readings below reasonable/safe.

I'd call them excellent.

"Phil" wrote in message
news
"John Smith" wrote in message
. ..

My Core duo CPU is reported as having a temp of 23 C w/both cores
at 35C.

I am using Coretemp and my temps for both cores (E6600) are 50C under
normal/light use. Is that Ok?

Shane
Old January 6th 07, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Phil

"nospam" wrote in message
Mitch Crane wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in
:

"Phil" wrote in message
news "John Smith" wrote in message
. ..

My Core duo CPU is reported as having a temp of 23 C w/both cores
at 35C.

I am using Coretemp and my temps for both cores (E6600) are 50C under
normal/light use. Is that Ok?

Shane

Yes. Under 70C and you're good to go.

-phil