Suggested fan speed settings for X1650 Pro

Old December 15th 06, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Armando

Default Suggested fan speed settings for X1650 Pro

Hi @all

I just bought a Sapphire X1650 Pro AGP.
Its fan is always at max speed and I'd like to preserve my hearing... :-)

So I just downloaded AtiTool 0.26 and I'm going to override Fan speed by
setting dynamic fan control.

So what are the temperatures and fan speed % You suggest me?

Thank You!
Armando
Old December 17th 06, 01:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Armando

Do You think these settings are good?

38°C-30%
42°C-40%
44°C-50%
46°C-60%
48°C-70%
50°C-80%
52°C-95%
54°C-100%

Or could I choose higher temperatures - lower % fan speed?

Thank You!
Armando
Old December 17th 06, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

Something simpler like this will work just fine. Don't let the duty cycle
drop below 30% or the fan may stall.

60°C 30%
60°C 50%
70°C 80%
80°C 100%

The default fan speed schedule for my X1900 brings the fan to 100% at 95°C.
Remember the chip is silicon; the psychological 100°C barrier for boiling
water is meaningless. If the card does overheat, you'll get artifacts and
game lockups long before any hardware damage.

Old December 18th 06, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

Also consider that running the card at 95 deg. will stress it more from
thermal expansion of all materials. You will reduce its useful life,
and things inside the chip are really small and crack easily.

First of One ha escrit:

Old December 19th 06, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

Thermal expansion is only a problem if you have materials with different
rates of expansion. This is accounted for in a chip's design with that
rubbery adhesive used to attach the die to the organic package. Remember the
cards are baked to something like 200 deg for the solder to cure in the
manufacturing process, and even higher temps for RoHS-compliant cards with
lead-free solder.

And even if the elevated temps reduce the card's life, they won't affect its
*useful* life. An X1650's useful life is two years tops... It is already too
slow for some of today's games. :-P

ups.com...