Problem with ATI X1650, X1950 and OCX I wrote

Old December 6th 06, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
GuyWithDogs

Default Problem with ATI X1650, X1950 and OCX I wrote

I've got an OCX written in Delphi 7 that works well on older ATI
graphics hardware, current Intel graphics chipsets (on a GX620 and
GX720), and on an nVidia GeForce 7300 GS in the GX620 and GX720. It
plays back video files, including MPEG-2, AVI and WMV. On this list of
hardware, my program works great. OS is Windows XP SP2 with latest
updates, DirectX 9.0c runtime from 10/10/2006, and Windows Media Player
11.

However, I need to use an ATI X1650 (I've got an ASUS EAX1650 board).
I've also tried it on an X1300, an X1600 and an X1950. I've tried
various Catalyst drivers from 6.7 to 6.11.

What I'm seeing is that while one video plays back, I preload the next
video. On everything but the ATI X1nnn series, the playback works well.
The preload works great and the output looks wonderful. On the ATI
X1nnn hardware, the preload causes the video to become choppy and
"stuttery" for about 2 seconds, and then the frames blast along to get
back to the proper place in the playback. Audio, if present, is
unaffected.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior before? I'm going snaky trying to
understand what's causing the problem. I need to support the ATI
hardware - that's the target that we want to use. Sadly, the X1650 is
the board of choice, and it's showing the worst effects.

I talked to ATI Customer Care. They don't want to talk to a developer,
and told me to talk to ATI Developer Relations. Sadly, they couldn't
point me to ATI Developer Relations, and the www.ati.com web site can
get me to a page about Developer Relations.

I'm leaning towards a driver issue as the explanation, since the other
hardware works well. However, that doesn't help me solve the problem,
or pin it down for sure, and I'm needing to provide some sort of
guidance to my superiors on what we can do to address the problem.

Thanks.