Western Digital My Book 500GB Not Installing on my WIndows XP, Help?

Old November 26th 06, 04:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default Western Digital My Book 500GB Not Installing on my WIndows XP, Help?

I just pcked up a Western Digital My Book 5000GB Essential Edition.
According to the install guide WIndows XP should automatically
recoginize the drive when connected. I've had no such luck. The drive
does not show up when connected. A "New Hardware" found shows up when
connected but does not find the driver when I go to install.

Anyone run into the same problem or know how to fix?

Thanks,

- Dave

Old December 9th 06, 01:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Hahnemann

Just got mine today (320 GB) at Best Buy. Installed on Mac OS X using
FireWire and it works like a charm. Tried it on Windows using USB and
got the same error

Why is Windows such a pain?

- Hahnemann

Old December 9th 06, 03:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Hahnemann wrote:
Just got mine today (320 GB) at Best Buy. Installed on Mac OS X using
FireWire and it works like a charm. Tried it on Windows using USB and
got the same error

Why is Windows such a pain?

Because they have a near-monopoly and people do not know they could
get something far, far superiour. Personally I think that by now Linux
system administration with Debian (decidedly not the easiest to handle
distro) is far easier than with XP. I can change CPU, mainboard,
Graphics card and Linux does not care, while XP has a heart
attack. The best one was were I changed the CPU and XP would only boot
into safe mode and it took me a day to get it working again by
reinstalling every driver. Linux did not care at all...

Arno

Old December 9th 06, 02:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Hahnemann

I would still like to make this work on Windows. Did you ever figure
out how to make this work? I've tried everything I could think of with
no luck.

- Hahnemann

Old December 23rd 06, 02:41 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Impmon

On 9 Dec 2006 03:30:12 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

Because they have a near-monopoly and people do not know they could
get something far, far superiour. Personally I think that by now Linux
system administration with Debian (decidedly not the easiest to handle
distro) is far easier than with XP. I can change CPU, mainboard,
Graphics card and Linux does not care, while XP has a heart
attack. The best one was were I changed the CPU and XP would only boot
into safe mode and it took me a day to get it working again by
reinstalling every driver. Linux did not care at all...

Same with Macintosh when I used it last. Moved a hard drive from one
Macintosh to a completely different Macintosh and it booted as if
nothing's wrong.

Move the hard drive from one PC to another PC and you'd be lucky to
get Windows to start at all. Winblowsveryhard don't like changed
hardware at all. Once I was ordered to reactivate XP after a simple
memory upgrade when memory upgrade isn't supposed to do it.
Old December 23rd 06, 04:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Impmon wrote:
[...]

Mindless pig ignorant silly stuff, particularly with data drives.

Completely trivial to do a repair install with a boot drive with XP too.

Once I was ordered to reactivate XP after a simple memory
upgrade when memory upgrade isn't supposed to do it.

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

And its a hell of a lot easier to change the hardware with a PC anyway.

Old December 23rd 06, 11:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Impmon wrote:
[...]

Yea. This kind of reduces the value of system backups. All in all
just a sign that Windows still is not a professional product...

Arno
Old December 23rd 06, 05:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jimbo

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously Impmon wrote:
[...]

Nope, a repair install fixes that trivially.

All in all just a sign that Windows still is not a professional product...

Nope, that it aint a free product so they need to slow thieves down.

Old December 24th 06, 04:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
John Turco

Rod Speed wrote:

Impmon wrote:
[...]

Hello, Rod:

As the world's most popular commercial operating system, by far, it's
painfully obvious why Windows has been victimized by so many rip-offs;
hence, the need for Microsoft's more stringent anti-theft measures,
starting with XP.

On the other hand, Linux is freeware, and Macintosh OSes can only run
on Apple's hardware. Not much incentive for crooks to bother with such
"niche" players, is there?

Not that those blissfully ignorant Mac/Linux clowns will ever understand
anything so elementary! :-P

Cordially,
John Turco