internal memory card readers

Old November 7th 06, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Phisherman

Default internal memory card readers

I'd like to add an internal memory card reader, 3.5" or 5.25" is
better. I'd like to be able to read/write a variety of cards
including Secure Digital and all types of Compact Flash cards. It
would be nice to have a IEEE1394 firewire port and audio connectors.
It must be able to reliably connect to a MSI K8N Neo4 mobo.

Which brands are good? Brands to avoid? If anyone can point me to
some comparison reviews I'd greatly appreciate it. I've already been
googling for an hour and got mostly vendor sites. Thanks!
Old November 7th 06, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I'd like to add an internal memory card reader, 3.5" or 5.25" is
better. I'd like to be able to read/write a variety of cards
including Secure Digital and all types of Compact Flash cards. It
would be nice to have a IEEE1394 firewire port and audio connectors.
It must be able to reliably connect to a MSI K8N Neo4 mobo.

Which brands are good? Brands to avoid? If anyone can point me to
some comparison reviews I'd greatly appreciate it. I've already been
googling for an hour and got mostly vendor sites. Thanks!

Stay away from the ones that are 20 in 1 and drop 20 drives/letters in "My
Computer"

Old November 7th 06, 10:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 19:48:29 -0800, "JAD" JOHN DOE@ PORN ADDY
HARVESTER.com wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
I'd like to add an internal memory card reader, 3.5" or 5.25" is
better. I'd like to be able to read/write a variety of cards
including Secure Digital and all types of Compact Flash cards. It
would be nice to have a IEEE1394 firewire port and audio connectors.
It must be able to reliably connect to a MSI K8N Neo4 mobo.

Which brands are good? Brands to avoid? If anyone can point me to
some comparison reviews I'd greatly appreciate it. I've already been
googling for an hour and got mostly vendor sites. Thanks!

Stay away from the ones that are 20 in 1 and drop 20 drives/letters in "My
Computer"

Most these days have a drive letter per physical slot on the reader.
I've got a 12 in one that has four slots and uses 4 drive letters.

Old November 7th 06, 11:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Phisherman

HARVESTER.com wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
I'd like to add an internal memory card reader, 3.5" or 5.25" is
better. I'd like to be able to read/write a variety of cards
including Secure Digital and all types of Compact Flash cards. It
would be nice to have a IEEE1394 firewire port and audio connectors.
It must be able to reliably connect to a MSI K8N Neo4 mobo.

Which brands are good? Brands to avoid? If anyone can point me to
some comparison reviews I'd greatly appreciate it. I've already been
googling for an hour and got mostly vendor sites. Thanks!

Stay away from the ones that are 20 in 1 and drop 20 drives/letters in "My
Computer"

Why? Are there issues initializing USB devices on startup? Which
ones don't drop multiple drive letters? I'd guess this is in the USB
driver software. So then is it better to get an external unit?
Old November 7th 06, 04:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tomcat (Tom)

Phisherman wrote:
Why? Are there issues initializing USB devices on startup? Which
ones don't drop multiple drive letters? I'd guess this is in the USB
driver software.

It probably isn't in the driver software. I would imagine a universal
card drive is nothing more than a USB hub with a bunch of USB drives so
when the computer starts up it will naturally try to map them all. I
think what is needed is an on/off switch in the card reader so it only
makes a USB connection to the computer when you are ready to use it.

Old November 7th 06, 04:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

HARVESTER.com wrote:

[...]

There is no problem really, just very annoying when trying to find the
proper drive letter that has the memory stick in it and clutters the file
manager.

Old November 7th 06, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Tomcat (Tom) wrote
Phisherman wrote

Why? Are there issues initializing USB devices on startup?
Which ones don't drop multiple drive letters? I'd guess
this is in the USB driver software.

It probably isn't in the driver software. I would imagine a universal
card drive is nothing more than a USB hub with a bunch of USB drives
so when the computer starts up it will naturally try to map them all.

It shouldnt do that if there are no cards plugged into the reader.

I think what is needed is an on/off switch in the card reader so it only
makes a USB connection to the computer when you are ready to use it.

No need with a properly implemented card reader that should only
see a drive letter allocated to a particular card when its been inserted.

Old November 8th 06, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Uwe Sieber

Rod Speed wrote:

It probably isn't in the driver software. I would imagine a universal
card drive is nothing more than a USB hub with a bunch of USB drives
so when the computer starts up it will naturally try to map them all.

It shouldnt do that if there are no cards plugged into the reader.

I think what is needed is an on/off switch in the card reader so it only
makes a USB connection to the computer when you are ready to use it.

No need with a properly implemented card reader that should only
see a drive letter allocated to a particular card when its been inserted.

Under XP this can be done by the right softwa
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Uwe
Old November 8th 06, 09:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Uwe Sieber wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It probably isn't in the driver software. I would imagine a universal card drive is nothing
more than a USB hub with a bunch of USB drives so when the computer starts up it will naturally
try to map them all.

It shouldnt do that if there are no cards plugged into the reader.

I think what is needed is an on/off switch in the card reader so it only makes a USB connection
to the computer when you are ready to use it.

No need with a properly implemented card reader that should only
see a drive letter allocated to a particular card when its been inserted.

Under XP this can be done by the right softwa
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

You dont need any software to do that with XP.

Old November 8th 06, 11:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Uwe Sieber

Rod Speed wrote:
Uwe Sieber wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It probably isn't in the driver software. I would imagine a universal card drive is nothing
more than a USB hub with a bunch of USB drives so when the computer starts up it will naturally
try to map them all.

It shouldnt do that if there are no cards plugged into the reader.

I think what is needed is an on/off switch in the card reader so it only makes a USB connection
to the computer when you are ready to use it.

No need with a properly implemented card reader that should only
see a drive letter allocated to a particular card when its been inserted.

Under XP this can be done by the right softwa
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

You dont need any software to do that with XP.

Correct, if you have a cardreader which behaves that way. Most
card readers assign one drive per slot. XP cannot assign a drive
letter when the user inserts a media and remove the drive letter
when the media is removed.

Uwe

Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA? Dan_Musicant Storage (alternative) 79 February 28th 06 08:23 AM
RAM problem Alb Asus Motherboards 9 January 31st 06 12:48 PM
A7V880 - 4x1GB DDR400 Unbuffered Modules...Is it possible? News su Libero Asus Motherboards 2 April 11th 05 09:40 AM
fsb speed - why does it matter? James Hanley Overclocking 52 November 7th 04 12:04 PM
16mb buffer hard drive in a laptop Dan Irwin Storage (alternative) 49 November 4th 04 04:18 PM