Idle temps

Old January 11th 04, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Brett Tyre

Default Idle temps

I ended up getting an Athlon XP 3000+ due to the simple lack of availability
of the 3200+ in my area (special order only).

I set the basic system up last night (m/b, ram, video card) and put it in
the case (Thermaltake Xaser VM2000).

BIOS reads the the CPU idle temp as 46-47C;. it seems to hold steady at that
point and system temp as 27-28C. I know in Windows the idle is generally a
litte lower. I've got three case fans running along with the stock AMD
heatsink and fan.

In any case, is this considered a "normal" temperature? Its been a few
years since I've built an Athlon, and I know on my old one I actually
acheived low temps compared to other people.
--
NP:
Brett Tyre

www.geocities.com/brett_tyre
London Drugs, Comp. Dept.
"I have something I want to tell you.I'm not like other guys.No, I mean I'm
different." -Michael Jackson "Thriller"

Old January 11th 04, 04:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Arthur Buse

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, "Brett Tyre" wrote:

I ended up getting an Athlon XP 3000+ due to the simple lack of availability
of the 3200+ in my area (special order only).

I set the basic system up last night (m/b, ram, video card) and put it in
the case (Thermaltake Xaser VM2000).

BIOS reads the the CPU idle temp as 46-47C;. it seems to hold steady at that
point and system temp as 27-28C. I know in Windows the idle is generally a
litte lower. I've got three case fans running along with the stock AMD
heatsink and fan.

In any case, is this considered a "normal" temperature? Its been a few
years since I've built an Athlon, and I know on my old one I actually
acheived low temps compared to other people.

In my humble opinion, the BIOS puts the CPU under full load. Windows
contains a Halt instruction which lets the CPU idle. Dos and BIOS do
not.

--
Arthur.

email address is bogus, real email adr is zathras at freeuk dot com
Old January 11th 04, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
J. Clarke

Brett Tyre wrote:
I ended up getting an Athlon XP 3000+ due to the simple lack of availability
of the 3200+ in my area (special order only).

I set the basic system up last night (m/b, ram, video card) and put it in
the case (Thermaltake Xaser VM2000).

BIOS reads the the CPU idle temp as 46-47C;. it seems to hold steady at that
point and system temp as 27-28C. I know in Windows the idle is generally a
litte lower. I've got three case fans running along with the stock AMD
heatsink and fan.

In any case, is this considered a "normal" temperature?

That's fine. Generally speaking if you're not overclocking then
anything under 60C on the motherboard sensor (or 70 or so on the
internal diode) under load is fine--if you're idling 47C then you'll
likely be well under 60 under load. If you're going for maximum
overclocking you want the processor as cool as you can afford to run it.

Its been a few
years since I've built an Athlon, and I know on my old one I actually
acheived low temps compared to other people.
--
NP:
Brett Tyre

www.geocities.com/brett_tyre
London Drugs, Comp. Dept.
"I have something I want to tell you.I'm not like other guys.No, I mean I'm
different." -Michael Jackson "Thriller"

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)