Ping : Zak

Old April 24th 06, 03:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Ping : Zak

Zak, just wondered if you saw my reply I posted around lunch time today
posts today and I never saw mine posted here. Usually you have some
comments but I didn't see any messge back from you which is fine. I just
wondered if my message got posted.

Mary

Old April 24th 06, 07:50 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Zak, just wondered if you saw my reply I posted around lunch time today

I replied to a message a moment ago... if that is not the message you
are refering to then I didn't see it. I was a tad busy today. Before
chucked out a desk I wanted to paint the replacement. For a time I was
deskless in seattle.

Old April 24th 06, 05:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"zakezuke" wrote in message
oups.com...
Zak, just wondered if you saw my reply I posted around lunch time

today

I replied to a message a moment ago... if that is not the message you
are refering to then I didn't see it. I was a tad busy today. Before
chucked out a desk I wanted to paint the replacement. For a time I
was deskless in seattle.

You replied to a message last night about an ip4000 but that wasn't me.
So I guess you didn't see my message. Here is my message below which I
posted last night:. I changed a couple of my comments a little, when I
re-read my last nights message.

Zak, I'm a bit behind in posts now so didn't get a chance to reply to
this message.

"zakezuke" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary wrote:

The feature is disabled in North America, as in USA Mexico,

Canada.
South America too from my understanding. this gent, Golgota in

Peru
for example didn't have the feature enabled on his.

If the feature is disabled on printers in all of North America (US,
Canada,Mexico), how can you use it no matter where you got the

parts?

You enable the feature. Your ip1500 for example had a setting for
destination... in your case Japan or not Japan. The ip3000/4000/5000
etc etc etc have a setting for a few countries. Set the printer to
Europe for example, and CD printing is enabled. This info is in the
service manual.

There is no setting on ip1500 for any other countries, or I can't see
anything about that. Just in the iptool menu and though it said Japan
and Europe, it didn't matter what I said, it was still in English.

I got the refurb ip1500 yesterday sent from Canon. I would have got it
on Wednesday, but Puralator won't deliver to apt. buildings if the
sender does not have your access code for the apt.. I had to make a
re-delivery appointment for last Friday. They deliver from 8 a.m. to 5
pm, so
you have to stay home the day they come. Thats why I don't get anything
delivered by courier unless in this case, thats how Canon have to send
me the printer. Its a hassle. Maybe they do things differently if you
live in a house. For me Postal s more convenient and they leave a card
in your mailbox to say they were there. I have to deal with Puralator
one more time so go through the same procedure in reverse.

The refurb 1500 seems to work ok except for one thing. -The
status monitor which tells you how much ink is left in the cartridges
doesn't work. The color and the black carts, stay looking like
they are full, but I know they are not. I had to change the black ink
cart and it showed full even when it was low and again when it needed
replaced. So no low ink warning came up on the screen. I checked
printer properties
where you set you set low ink warning and its ok. It was ok on my
previous ip1500. It doesn't matter if you are only printing one or two
pages, but if you are printing a bunch, and the ink cart runs out, you
wouldn't know in advance. I phoned Canon today to confirm
my settings were ok and they seem to be, and the guy suggested using
another USB port or reinstalling the drivers, which I already did.
Maybe the cartridges dont know they are in a different printer - LOL.

I don't know about the other printer you gave me the URL for. I don't
particularly like the store who has it and had a negative experience
with them one time..They have changed names, but have the same products
and policies.
They are ok for things like cables or batteries.
They are not like dealing with Staples or Future shop or
Best buy. I phoned one store and they said those the
printers are display models which have been on the shelf for a while-
none are new in a box.. Most were sold out when you found the URL.

At least now when I print photos, the pink cast I was getting with my
old ip1500 is gone and photos look fine. I had to put in the new
print head of course.

Maybe in a few months I will see something else I want to buy- not the
ip4200 unless it gets Staples compatibles.

Sorry if my message has some blank spaces. thats what happens
sometimes with OE when you re-send a message.

Mary

Old April 25th 06, 01:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Mary wrote:
"zakezuke" wrote in message
oups.com...
Zak, just wondered if you saw my reply I posted around lunch time

today

I replied to a message a moment ago... if that is not the message you
are refering to then I didn't see it. I was a tad busy today. Before
chucked out a desk I wanted to paint the replacement. For a time I
was deskless in seattle.

You replied to a message last night about an ip4000 but that wasn't me.
So I guess you didn't see my message. Here is my message below which I
posted last night:. I changed a couple of my comments a little, when I
re-read my last nights message.

I did see this and did respond to this.. google must have dropped it.

There is no setting on ip1500 for any other countries, or I can't see
anything about that. Just in the iptool menu and though it said Japan
and Europe, it didn't matter what I said, it was still in English.

Thos are the other countries. Japan or Not Japan. Other printers
offer more. It wouldn't really change the language or anything along
those lines. Just enable region specific features such as which inkset
to use, cd printin as with the ip3000 and above series, that sort of
thing.

The refurb 1500 seems to work ok except for one thing. -The
status monitor which tells you how much ink is left in the cartridges
doesn't work. The color and the black carts, stay looking like
they are full, but I know they are not. I had to change the black ink
cart and it showed full even when it was low and again when it needed
replaced. So no low ink warning came up on the screen. I checked
printer properties

The carts, the bci-24, have no chips. In fact I have no idea how
metering is done on them, but I "imagine" that taking them out of the
old printer and putting them in the new one would result in it
forgetting how full they were. This is just as a guess.

I phoned Canon today to confirm
my settings were ok and they seem to be, and the guy suggested using
another USB port or reinstalling the drivers, which I already did.
Maybe the cartridges dont know they are in a different printer - LOL.

Canned responce when they don't know what else to do. I shouldn't be
critical as it is basic troubleshooting. Start at one end, move tward
the other. But the cartridges don't know they were in another printer.
They have no chips, no memory, and I don't think they even have any
sort of prisms like the bci-3e/6 does.

I don't know about the other printer you gave me the URL for. I don't
particularly like the store who has it and had a negative experience
with them one time..They have changed names, but have the same products
and policies.

Well, if you know you want the product, you can always deal with Canon
and not the store. This seems to be one culture difference... our
friends to the north actually talk to the store about such issues,
where I deal with the company directly by default. There are good
stores who employ them selves to do customer service such as costco.
The places I usually shop make it clear the warranty is with the
company unless it's a prodcut made by the store.

But a restocking fee of 5% or anything is crap when they don't plan to
restock it, when the product doesn't work. They should replace or
refund it. Restocking fees are generally for those people who "changed
their minds".

They are ok for things like cables or batteries.
They are not like dealing with Staples or Future shop or
Best buy. I phoned one store and they said those the
printers are display models which have been on the shelf for a while-
none are new in a box.. Most were sold out when you found the URL.

Ah ok, not just "old models" still in the box. Perhaps there is a good
reason they were not sold yet. I would likely avoid display models....
though I would ask canon about the subject first and say "look, it's a
display model, does the warranty apply, would you give me a new head
if it's clogged".

But the website didn't reflect "that" info, they simply said they were
available.

But hey.. I would still save my pennies pending the day that the ip4200
gets aftermarket chips. There is a solution in the works from my
understanding, just mass production is pending. And from what i've
seen the ip1500 is a somewhat limited life product due to head and
diaper size.

Old April 25th 06, 04:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"zakezuke" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary wrote:
"zakezuke" wrote in message
oups.com...
Zak, just wondered if you saw my reply I posted around lunch

time
today

I replied to a message a moment ago... if that is not the message

you
are refering to then I didn't see it. I was a tad busy today.

Before
chucked out a desk I wanted to paint the replacement. For a time

was deskless in seattle.

You replied to a message last night about an ip4000 but that wasn't

me.
So I guess you didn't see my message. Here is my message below which

posted last night:. I changed a couple of my comments a little, when

re-read my last nights message.

I did see this and did respond to this.. google must have dropped it.

They must have because I never saw it on my news server and its not on
google groups either.

There is no setting on ip1500 for any other countries, or I can't

see
anything about that. Just in the iptool menu and though it said

Japan
and Europe, it didn't matter what I said, it was still in English.

Thos are the other countries. Japan or Not Japan. Other printers
offer more. It wouldn't really change the language or anything along
those lines. Just enable region specific features such as which

inkset
to use, cd printin as with the ip3000 and above series, that sort of
thing.

What I meant is my ip 1500 has no settings about choosing countries or
regions.
Japan is not mentioned anywhere.

The refurb 1500 seems to work ok except for one thing. -The
status monitor which tells you how much ink is left in the

cartridges
doesn't work. The color and the black carts, stay looking like
they are full, but I know they are not. I had to change the black

ink
cart and it showed full even when it was low and again when it

needed
replaced. So no low ink warning came up on the screen. I checked
printer properties

The carts, the bci-24, have no chips. In fact I have no idea how
metering is done on them, but I "imagine" that taking them out of the
old printer and putting them in the new one would result in it
forgetting how full they were. This is just as a guess.

That might be the case that they would forget how full they are and if
so, it should straighten itself out as soon as the levels of ink go
down. There is a setting for low ink warning and when cartridges are
empty warning. These are set in Properties/Maintenance and they are
enabled. I had my old ip1500 for a year, and it always showed the ink
level picture on the screen every time you print and if the black or
color is only half full, the cartridge picture on the screen shows half
full. its not exactly 100% accurate, but is a good guide. The way the
refurb printer is, the color and black show full all the time, even
though yesterday, the black one was empty which should give a warning so
you know to change it before printing a lot of copies. This way, it will
just run out of ink and you will have to change the cart in the middle
of printing. Its not supposed to be like that, but I have set all the
settings to activate this feature and none have worked.

I phoned Canon today to confirm
my settings were ok and they seem to be, and the guy suggested

using
another USB port or reinstalling the drivers, which I already did.
Maybe the cartridges dont know they are in a different printer -

LOL.

Canned responce when they don't know what else to do. I shouldn't be
critical as it is basic troubleshooting. Start at one end, move tward
the other. But the cartridges don't know they were in another

printer.
They have no chips, no memory, and I don't think they even have any
sort of prisms like the bci-3e/6 does.

Well, they are the tech support people and without them seeing the
printer, they could only suggest to try checking various things. Even
though no chips or memory, normally the printer gets a message from the
carts that one or the other cart is low on ink. That worked in my old
ip1500, which went back to Canon today. I phoned Puralator and 10 mins.
later they picked it up. Nothing like when they delivered it and had to
get a re-delivery. I guess with pickups, they are quicker since they
haven't got the money yet LOL

I don't know about the other printer you gave me the URL for. I

don't
particularly like the store who has it and had a negative experience
with them one time..They have changed names, but have the same

products
and policies.

Well, if you know you want the product, you can always deal with Canon
and not the store.

Well, that is true I guess. One person I talked to at one store, said
they (RS) warranty the printer, and maybe they mean you take it to them
and they send it to Canon. I would rather deal with Canon myself than
deal with RS.

This seems to be one culture difference... our
friends to the north actually talk to the store about such issues,
where I deal with the company directly by default.

Well, you can't go only by me. I have no idea what other people here do
as to whether they deal with stores about such issues or deal with
manufacturers directly. I usually dealt with Staples as they will deal
witih Canon for you, but you can deal with Canon direct as I did,
though
I hadn't thought of it till you mentioned about the print head, and now
I see that what I did may work out the best as I see no other printers I
want right now. Staples and probably other stores probably want more
business, and the first year you have a product, if you have extended
warranty with Staples, even though you are still under warranty with
Canon or whoever, they will let you get another printer the same price
or pay a little more. If you do not have an extended warranty, you
probably have to deal with the manufacturer yourself. I dont know. That
could be why RS say they give you a year warranty for certain products,
though I only spoke to the one guy and half the time they give you
wrong information. I always confirm things and have a healthy skeptism
when it comes to sales guys and a lot of other things.

There are good
stores who employ them selves to do customer service such as costco.
The places I usually shop make it clear the warranty is with the
company unless it's a prodcut made by the store.

They may do that in many stores here, but for printers and electronics
which is mainly what we are discussing, Staples is good to deal with and
will do what they can to keep you as a customer. I bought my daughter a
cordless phone for $60.00 last year with a year warranty with GE (no
extended warranty with STaples) and it conked out last month and I took
it back to Staples even though I had no receipt and they said as long as
the item is still listed in their computer at the last price it was sold
at, even though discontinued, they would give me another phone, and I
paid $10.00 and got them another GE phone. I thought it was pretty good
when most stores freak out if you have no receipt.

But a restocking fee of 5% or anything is crap when they don't plan to
restock it, when the product doesn't work. They should replace or
refund it. Restocking fees are generally for those people who

"changed
their minds".

Yes, its crap. A lot of small computer stores here charge a restocking
fee. The one person I phoned said there was a restocking fee for the
3000. another one I phoned just to see if they said the same said if you
used the printer and didn't like it, you have to pay the cost of the
ink, and as we know, the cost of the ink would be more than $75.00, so
basically if you get the printer, you are stuck with it unless its
defective, then they want you to take it back to the store. So their
rules are a bit different from Staples and they have a lot more rules
and regs.

They are ok for things like cables or batteries.
They are not like dealing with Staples or Future shop or
Best buy. I phoned one store and they said those the
printers are display models which have been on the shelf for a

while-
none are new in a box.. Most were sold out when you found the URL.

Ah ok, not just "old models" still in the box. Perhaps there is a

good
reason they were not sold yet. I would likely avoid display

models....
though I would ask canon about the subject first and say "look, it's a
display model, does the warranty apply, would you give me a new head
if it's clogged".

Yes, I wonder if the same warranty applies with Canon. Maybe thats why
they are a clearance, but the one sales guy said they have the original
box and all documents and CD's, and the printers have never been hooked
up as a demo. I've seen them on the shelf, though not that model and
most are not hooked up.Maybe some haven't been on display for long, and
maybe they are OK. but who knows? I like to get a printer or stuff like
that, new in a box.

But the website didn't reflect "that" info, they simply said they were
available.

Thats right. They may have one in a box at one store or something. They
have dozens of stores
in this city. I think it would be wiser for me not to get anything like
that from RS. As I said, they are ok for small things that are very
unlikely to have a problem with. For electronics and printers or
computer items, I deal with STaples or Future shop, though FS don't have
many electronic stuff like hard drives. mainly computer systems or
monitors. For hard drives and motherboards I go to one of the small
Chinese stores where they have good prices for do it yourself. I do all
my own computer upgrading and have done so for 10 years.

But hey.. I would still save my pennies pending the day that the

ip4200
gets aftermarket chips. There is a solution in the works from my
understanding, just mass production is pending. And from what i've
seen the ip1500 is a somewhat limited life product due to head and
diaper size.

Well, I read somewhere they are trying to get a solution for the ip4200
but who knows when that will be. In the meantime, the ip1500 will be ok
for me. I don't mind it, as long as it works ok, but I would have liked
it if the carts ink levels showed up as they are supposed to and they
worked ok on my ip 1500 I just sent back to Canon.
By the way, this ip1500 , though its the exact same as the one I sent
back, this one uses a different driver which is also on the CD I got
with my other 1500. Maybe a different driver version?

Mary

Old April 25th 06, 05:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

What I meant is my ip 1500 has no settings about choosing countries or
regions.
Japan is not mentioned anywhere.

But Destination 1 and destination 2 is, where destination 1 is probally
Japan and destination 2 is probally not Japan.

The carts, the bci-24, have no chips. In fact I have no idea how
metering is done on them, but I "imagine" that taking them out of the
old printer and putting them in the new one would result in it
forgetting how full they were. This is just as a guess.

That might be the case that they would forget how full they are and if
so, it should straighten itself out as soon as the levels of ink go
down.

Doubtful. Near as i'm aware there is no real feedback system between
the cartridges and the printer. On the other pixmas there is a
prism... when there is no liquid light is reflected back to say the
reservoir is empty. I could be wrong, and you might want to check with
support on this but I think ink fullness is an estimate based under the
assumption that when you insert a tank it's 100% full, and use
subtracts a percent from that assumed fullness. I.e. if your tank is
50% full and you put it in, it assumes 100% and will continue running
without ink.

There is a setting for low ink warning and when cartridges are
empty warning. These are set in Properties/Maintenance and they are
enabled. I had my old ip1500 for a year, and it always showed the ink
level picture on the screen every time you print and if the black or
color is only half full, the cartridge picture on the screen shows half
full. its not exactly 100% accurate, but is a good guide. The way the
refurb printer is, the color and black show full all the time, even
though yesterday, the black one was empty which should give a warning so
you know to change it before printing a lot of copies. This way, it will
just run out of ink and you will have to change the cart in the middle
of printing. Its not supposed to be like that, but I have set all the
settings to activate this feature and none have worked.

I would test this on new cartridges for accurate results.

[...]

Well, the only benifit of dealing with the store is the fact that they
handle the shipping, the paperwork, the phone calls, the head ache...
but at their own schedual. Can be nice, much more nice than having to
ship a defective product in advance without an advance replacement.

But a restocking fee of 5% or anything is crap when they don't plan to
restock it, when the product doesn't work. They should replace or
refund it. Restocking fees are generally for those people who

"changed
their minds".

Yes, its crap. A lot of small computer stores here charge a restocking
fee. The one person I phoned said there was a restocking fee for the
3000. another one I phoned just to see if they said the same said if you
used the printer and didn't like it, you have to pay the cost of the
ink, and as we know, the cost of the ink would be more than $75.00, so
basically if you get the printer, you are stuck with it unless its
defective, then they want you to take it back to the store. So their
rules are a bit different from Staples and they have a lot more rules
and regs.

I can't think of any store I've shopped at that employed that policy.
I have heard cases at Walmart of people buying Lexmarks which didn't
include cartridges and they refused to take them back, which I find
amazing as in other cases i've been told they have a liberal return
policy. Even more odd is I heard the sales pitch of "buy this printer,
it comes with ink which costs more than the printer. Ink is costly,
but artificialy costly in most cases.

Makes me wonder... what if you didn't like the ink, can you return it?

Ah ok, not just "old models" still in the box. Perhaps there is a

good
reason they were not sold yet. I would likely avoid display

models....
though I would ask canon about the subject first and say "look, it's a
display model, does the warranty apply, would you give me a new head
if it's clogged".

Yes, I wonder if the same warranty applies with Canon. Maybe thats why
they are a clearance, but the one sales guy said they have the original
box and all documents and CD's, and the printers have never been hooked
up as a demo. I've seen them on the shelf, though not that model and
most are not hooked up.Maybe some haven't been on display for long, and
maybe they are OK. but who knows? I like to get a printer or stuff like
that, new in a box.

Well... they likely would be lieing on the paperwork, with a rescrpit
reflecting sale of a new product. But since you are not interested in
buying from these guys the point is moot.

But the website didn't reflect "that" info, they simply said they were
available.

Thats right. They may have one in a box at one store or something. They
have dozens of stores
in this city. I think it would be wiser for me not to get anything like
that from RS. As I said, they are ok for small things that are very
unlikely to have a problem with. For electronics and printers or
computer items, I deal with STaples or Future shop, though FS don't have
many electronic stuff like hard drives. mainly computer systems or
monitors. For hard drives and motherboards I go to one of the small
Chinese stores where they have good prices for do it yourself. I do all
my own computer upgrading and have done so for 10 years.

Indy Asian stores kick ass. Something to do with being able to speak
the language I imagine, handy when the box doesn't include any English.
Those the one I frequent does have strict return policies, and a
restocking fee for stuff you don't like, but they are at least upfront
and display this in bold friendly letters. But on the plus side they
know their hardware, and even take the time to talk with ordinary folks
about making a choice. Unlike some other small indy stores that have
have ever changing policies, call you by your first name and when you
say things were different the last time they go "oh I never seen you
before and I have a good memory for faces".

But hey, if you don't like RS, don't go there. After your description
I probally wouldn't go there either.

Well, I read somewhere they are trying to get a solution for the ip4200
but who knows when that will be. In the meantime, the ip1500 will be ok
for me. I don't mind it, as long as it works ok, but I would have liked
it if the carts ink levels showed up as they are supposed to and they
worked ok on my ip 1500 I just sent back to Canon.
By the way, this ip1500 , though its the exact same as the one I sent
back, this one uses a different driver which is also on the CD I got
with my other 1500. Maybe a different driver version?

Well, to even answer that question i'd know to know what verison you
are currently running. The website permits download of v1.80 for xp/2k
and v8.40 for win98/me.

As far as troubleshooting goes, your thought is logical. By all means
find out what version you have, and if there is a newer version get it,
but I suspect it's just that you are using older tanks and it thinks
they are new.... as there was no system at the time for tanks to
remember fullness.

Old April 25th 06, 06:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I just send a message that I didn't reply to - I pressed Send instead of
Reply. Its getting late, thats my excuse. you are three hours behind me.
It is 1 a.m. here EST same time zone as Eastern US.

"zakezuke" wrote in message
oups.com...

What I meant is my ip 1500 has no settings about choosing countries

or
regions.
Japan is not mentioned anywhere.

But Destination 1 and destination 2 is, where destination 1 is

probally
Japan and destination 2 is probally not Japan.

Where do you see anything in printer properties about Desination? I have
no settings or choices like that, though maybe the ip3000 and up newer
printers do. Not the ip1500 though. There is no place to enable region
specific features on 1500.

[...]

I am not sure you know what I'm getting at. There is definitely some
kind of feedback system between the printer and the cartridges or there
would not be a picture of the cartridges every single time you print
anything and the level of the ink gradually goes down on the picture as
the ink is used. There would also be no settings for me to enable such
as there is an ink counter which you are supposed to reset when you put
in a new color or black cartridges so the ink level can be monitored as
the ink is used up. There are other setting to "Enable status monitor"
which comes up every time you print and shows how much ink is left in
the cartridges. There is also another message to set if you want the
printer to let you know when the cartridge is almost empty. So if there
was no interchange between the printer and cartridges, these features
would not be possible.

I know from the ip1500 that I've been using for a year now that it shows
on the screen a picture of the cartridges every time you print. One
color cart and one black cart is shown on the screen and as you use ink,
the level of ink on the picture gets lower and lower as you use up the
ink. I mentioned that it didn't work to Canon today and they told me
that the notification of ink levels should work, which of course I know
from having the same printer as the refurb one for a year, and its in
the manual and its on the CD instructions. So no need to check with
them. I know the ink counter does not seem to work and should. The only
thing that is a possibility is if the refurb printer does not know yet
that the carts are there, but that should solve itself soon or the ink
warning is not working.

[...]

Well, I put a new black cartridge in it last night and the low ink
warning did not come on and neither did the warning about you will soon
have an empty cartridge. when you put a new cartridge in, you have to
reset the ink counter and put a dot in black cartridge is new and Send
this to the printer so it resets the black printer setting to show full.
right now its full all the time.

[...]

Yes, dealing with a store like Staples has its advantages. I have never
had a problem with them and they try to be fair and satisfy the
customer. I have found Future shop to be quite good as well, though
some people complain about them. depends sometimes what the store
manager is like. There used to be a really good store manager at the FS
near me, but he is at another store now, so maybe not as good if you
have a problem like when he was there. He was very fair.

[...]

I only know of RS. They post it on their website that you have to pay
15% or something for some products. Small Chinese computer stores here
do that.

I have heard cases at Walmart of people buying Lexmarks which didn't
include cartridges and they refused to take them back, which I find
amazing as in other cases i've been told they have a liberal return
policy. Even more odd is I heard the sales pitch of "buy this

printer,
it comes with ink which costs more than the printer. Ink is costly,
but artificialy costly in most cases.

I wouldn't buy anything like that from Walmart, but you're right if you
buy a $300.00 TV there for example, they will take it back if yuo dont
like it for some reason, but I wouldn't be surprised that they refused
to take back Lexmarks especially when they didn't include cartridges.

Makes me wonder... what if you didn't like the ink, can you return it?

That would be out of the question. LOL

[...]

I don't know what they would do. I don't think RS are deceitful. I think
they just have strict returns or exchanges policies. Staples are more
lenient as long as you return something in the same condition as you
bought it. They sell them a little cheaper like open box policies - same
in FS.

[...]

Not many Indian stores here. But lots of small Chinese computer stores
who are mostly immigrants who came here in the last 5 or 6 years.. Most
speak very poor English , even the younger ones and that can be a
problem. So they tend not to talk too much because of their bad
Englilsh. Some have notices up about restocking but others don't and
might just mention restock fees on the bill they give you. But most
people know that these small stores almost always charge restocking
fees, and some charge you 3% of the price of the item if you use a
credit card, and a few only take cash, so I ALWAYS ask before I buy what
their policy is about returns or exchanges. Its wise to do that for any
store you are not familiar with their policies so there is no
misunderstandings later if you need to bring the item back for some
reason.

But hey, if you don't like RS, don't go there. After your description
I probally wouldn't go there either.

They are too sticky. I don't like all their rules and regs. You have to
replace the ink, which would cost more than the printer if for some
reason you were to change your mind and not want the printer. I suppose
in their case though, they would have to pay for the ink to sell to
someone else and stores like STaples have more money I guess. But RS
have a lot more stores. Too bad since I might have been able to get the
3000. If it only had been some other not as sticky store.

By the way, this ip1500 , though its the exact same as the one I

sent
back, this one uses a different driver which is also on the CD I got
with my other 1500. Maybe a different driver version?

Well, to even answer that question i'd know to know what verison you
are currently running. The website permits download of v1.80 for

xp/2k
and v8.40 for win98/me.

As far as troubleshooting goes, your thought is logical. By all means
find out what version you have, and if there is a newer version get
it, but I suspect it's just that you are using older tanks and it

thinks
they are new.... as there was no system at the time for tanks to
remember fullness.

Well, my IP 1500 shows the level of the ink as the ink goes down. I
thought all printers displayed that information. Or do you mean that if
two new carts were put in the ink level feature would work?
My comment about the printer driver version was just a comment. I don't
think it has any connection to levels of ink. I was just surprised that
the same model of printer would have two different versions of drivers.
The USB port is still has the same name. MPUSBPRN01 or maybe its 02 at
the end.

Mary

Old April 25th 06, 07:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Mary
There are many different ways that inkjet printers detect and advise the amount
of ink remaining.
The way that the ip1500 works is that the printer counts the number of ink dots
printed and estimates the amount of ink used. Other Canon printers use
different methods.
When you change a cartridge in the ip1500 you have to reset the counter in the
printer control panel on your PC, the printer then starts to count based on the
ink that has been used.
So I believe that your replacement printer has assumed new cartridges and
therefore the count is out of sync with the actual level of ink in the old
cartridges. Therefore you need to keep an eye on the cartridge ink levels until
you replace each one, after that the two should be in sync. It is essential
that you do not print with an empty cartridge because the ink is a critical
part of the head cooling process. There is no direct communication between the
printer and the cartridges in this model. My expectation is that you will soon
see a reduced amount of ink in the indicators.
Tony

"Mary" wrote:
I just send a message that I didn't reply to - I pressed Send instead of
Reply. Its getting late, thats my excuse. you are three hours behind me.
It is 1 a.m. here EST same time zone as Eastern US.

roups.com...

Old April 25th 06, 09:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"Tony" wrote in message
news
Mary
There are many different ways that inkjet printers detect and advise
the amount
of ink remaining.
The way that the ip1500 works is that the printer counts the number of

ink dots
printed and estimates the amount of ink used. Other Canon printers use
different methods.

I thought it must be something like that.

When you change a cartridge in the ip1500 you have to reset the

counter in the
printer control panel on your PC, the printer then starts to count

based on the
ink that has been used.

Yes, I always reset it when I put in a new cartridge. After I put in a
new cartridge, a message comes up on the screen to ask if I have put a
new cart in and asks you to put a checkmark in color (mine is one tri
color and one black) or black. Thats how it keeps track.

So I believe that your replacement printer has assumed new cartridges

and
therefore the count is out of sync with the actual level of ink in the

old
cartridges. Therefore you need to keep an eye on the cartridge ink

levels until
you replace each one, after that the two should be in sync.

I put in a new cartridge two nights ago, but the old black said it was
still full, when it was actually empty, so maybe that was because the
old cartridge was transferred from the old printer. But the new black
cart that I just put in, should show signs of ink going down bit by bit,
since the picture of the two carts come on the screen every time I print
something to show you how much ink is left in both the color and black
carts.Usually when it says its empty, you can print a little longer, but
at least you know you are soon going to have to put a new cart in.

It is essential
that you do not print with an empty cartridge because the ink is a

critical
part of the head cooling process.

What if your color cart runs out of ink but there is still ink in the
black cart and you want to print only black text? I set printer
properties to grayscale at those times. There is no choice for black
text.

There is no direct communication between the
printer and the cartridges in this model.

If that is the case, who or what tells the printer to display a warning
message on the screen to say your black or color ink is getting low when
you print.something? And there is a yellow exclamation mark on the
picture of the cartridge which needs replacing. Something must tell it
to trigger the message- a sensor maybe?.

My expectation is that you will soon
see a reduced amount of ink in the indicators.

The black one is the only one so far where I have put a new one in - two
nights ago. I printed some black text but maybe not enough to lower the
ink any as it still looks full and the color has been used quite a few
times and should show less ink, but it still looks full, maybe because
of being transferred from the old printer.

Thanks for your input Tony

Mary

"Mary" wrote:
I just send a message that I didn't reply to - I pressed Send instead

of
Reply. Its getting late, thats my excuse. you are three hours behind

me.
It is 1 a.m. here EST same time zone as Eastern US.

roups.com...