X850 Pro's being sold as X850 XT's?

Old January 10th 06, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Default X850 Pro's being sold as X850 XT's?

I've been seeing (and bought one) a lot of X850 XT's for real cheap on ebay,
but all of these X850 XT's have one common featu the UPC has been removed
from the box (presumably for some sort of rebate). Is there any way to know
for sure that you have an X850 XT (or PE) rather than an X850 Pro? I'd
imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to buy or obtain X850 XT or X850 XT-PE
OEM heatsinks and labels then affix these heatsinks and labels to an X850
Pro. Changing the BIOS to report an X850 XT wouldn't be too difficult either
I'd imagine.

Catalyst reports chip type as and X850 XT AGP, but the adapter string as a
Radeon X850 series.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm pretty sure something like this has
happened in the past.

--
Doug

Old January 10th 06, 10:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"pigdos" wrote in message . net...
I've been seeing (and bought one) a lot of X850 XT's for real cheap on ebay,
but all of these X850 XT's have one common featu the UPC has been removed
from the box (presumably for some sort of rebate). Is there any way to know
for sure that you have an X850 XT (or PE) rather than an X850 Pro? I'd
imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to buy or obtain X850 XT or X850 XT-PE
OEM heatsinks and labels then affix these heatsinks and labels to an X850
Pro. Changing the BIOS to report an X850 XT wouldn't be too difficult either
I'd imagine.

Catalyst reports chip type as and X850 XT AGP, but the adapter string as a
Radeon X850 series.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm pretty sure something like this has
happened in the past.

Heh. Pretty sure? eBay is a cesspool of fraud and shysters.
When I see any disclaimers in an auction description, such as
"UPC label removed", it throws up a major red flag and I
simply move on to other sellers.

Or in other words, you get what you pay for, and on eBay,
frequently less than you pay for.

Old January 10th 06, 10:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Those are perhaps modded x850pro's whom have 12pipelines by default.
The mod enables 16 pipes increasing speed and instability plus extra heat.
The gpu is the same on all versions,although some have hardware or software
limits for the pipes.
After testing some become xt and others pro.
In general you can try the following: use AtiTool.
set the clocks at the factory defaults,and see if it stays stable,you can
use the artifact tester within atitool.
You should be able to overclock this card also without stability issues.
Many reports about the mod state that clocks needed to be lowered a bit to
maintain stability,some could use the xt clock settings.
But temperatures went around 80°Celcius and even higher on these cards with
stock settings.
Also check if the heatsink+fan is the stock one and not fitted
afterwards.Most heatsinks from the manufacturors are not that easy to
purchase,and often are not suited when modding the video card(again because
of much higher temps).

"pigdos" schreef in bericht
. net...

Old January 10th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Well, this is some good news, the heatsink looks like the ones used on X850
XT's and X850 XT PE's, it's a two-slot heatsink solution. I'm still curious
about the missing UPC's, are these used for rebates?

--
Doug

Old January 10th 06, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

You're right I should of posted this question before I bid/purchased the
X850 XT.

--
Doug
"Rick S." wrote in message
ink.net...
. net...

Old January 10th 06, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"pigdos" wrote in message
. net...
I've been seeing (and bought one) a lot of X850 XT's for real cheap on
ebay, but all of these X850 XT's have one common featu the UPC has been
removed from the box (presumably for some sort of rebate). Is there any
way to know for sure that you have an X850 XT (or PE) rather than an X850
Pro? I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to buy or obtain X850 XT or
X850 XT-PE OEM heatsinks and labels then affix these heatsinks and labels
to an X850 Pro. Changing the BIOS to report an X850 XT wouldn't be too
difficult either I'd imagine.

Although I don't know about these specific ones, it's reasonable on your
part to be suspicious. I took a quick look on Ebay and didn't see an blatant
or obvious issues on this.A while back, Ebay was flooded with great deals of
"9800XT" 256Mb cards. Still is. Problem with these cards is that none of
them were an actual 9800XT, which was the X850XT PE of it's day. Some were
128bit cards with slow core and memory clocks. Others were 256bit cards but
with slow core/memory. They all seem to be made by some third world jobber.
The boxes as far as I can tell Here's a couple of examples below...Your

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ATI-RADEON-9800-X...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ATI-RADEON-9800-X...QQcmdZViewItem

Old January 11th 06, 04:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Actually, all 9800 256MB cards turned out to be using 9800XT GPUs. The
differences were/are insignificant, but supposedly you could get slightly
better performance out of the 9800XT GPU's on a clock-for-clock basis. I
can't find the link anymore though.

--
Doug
"Augustus" wrote in message

. net...

Old January 11th 06, 04:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

You're right, it turns out I do have an X850XT so the lack of UPC was a
non-factor. ATItool ID's the chipset as X850XT and verifies that 16 pipes
are operational.

--
Doug
"TheDoctor" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
Well, this is some good news, the heatsink looks like the ones used on
X850
XT's and X850 XT PE's, it's a two-slot heatsink solution. I'm still
curious
about the missing UPC's, are these used for rebates?

Yes, a missing UPC means nothing more that - a rebate was received by
the original purchaser. So long as the box is still shrink wrapped, a
missing UPC is of no concern at all.

Old January 11th 06, 08:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Glad you got it worked out pigdos
Happy gaming.

"pigdos" schreef in bericht
. net...
You're right, it turns out I do have an X850XT so the lack of UPC was a
non-factor. ATItool ID's the chipset as X850XT and verifies that 16 pipes
are operational.

--
Doug
"TheDoctor" wrote in message