Western Digital Hard Drive Problem

Old December 21st 05, 02:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Western Digital Hard Drive Problem

Hi Group,
I bought a 100GB Hard Drive and installed it in my computer as a slave drive
(details below).
The PC took a long time in booting up, as if it was trying to recognize the
new hardware, however when it finally booted the new hardware still was not
recognized, I run the "scan for hardware changes", although it recognized
there was a new disk drive, the computer gets stuck and does not istall the
drivers.
By the way it makes unusual noises (eg. ticking noises etc).

HARD DRIVE DETAILS:
100 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
WD1000
Model: WD1000JB - 32CWE0
S/N: WMA9P1798270

COMPUTER DETAILS:
Pentium 3 Packard Bell
Windows XP SP2
501 MHz, 384 MB of RAM

-----------------------------
M Trujillo

Old December 21st 05, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

[...]

Could be a broken drive. Could be a BIOS problem. Could be a jumper
problem...

The drive could be faulty - do you have another PC you could try it in? A
friends PC maybe?

Pentium 3 is quite old now - perhaps it can't recognise the drive because of
its size. There have been a number of size 'barriers' in hard disk
technology. You should consider a BIOS update - check the Packard website
for your model.

You have installed the drive as a slave - how did you make it a slave? You
need to make sure the jumper on the master drive is set to Master and the
new drive to Slave. You also need to make sure they are on the correct port
on the cable - Master on the first connector and slave on the second (end)
connector.

Old December 22nd 05, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:38:13 -0000, "GT"
wrote:

[...]

WD drives have three jumper positions. Master, master with slave,
slave. Make sure both drives are jumpered correctly.