FEAR runs crappy, Quake runs fine

Old December 6th 05, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Default FEAR runs crappy, Quake runs fine

I just started playing FEAR and it runs like soup through a fine-toothed
comb. Does anyone have any ideas? I have played around with the settings. It
looks butt ugly on "low" and runs choppy on "medium." The thing is, Quake 4
runs perfectly fine. I have an ATI X800 and 512RAM running on an AMD 64
2.4GHZ system. I also have the latest FEAR patch. I tried messing aroudn
with VM some as well; that didn't help.

In FEAR, at 800 x 600 with medium settings, there are tons of pauses and
stuttering, and nothing ever runs too smooth. But in low, at 640 x 480, all
the graphics look so low-res that the game is almost unplayable because I
can't hardly see anything clearly. I have Quake 4 set to about medium or a
little higher.

Oddly, I remember the demo running perfectly fine and the graphics looked
smooth and high-res. Any ideas?

Also, for some reason, both games do a performance check and put everything
pretty low, even though the X800 card shoudl be fast enough for at least
medium quality...

- JB

Old December 6th 05, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

"JB" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have soft shadows turned on? This puts a severe performance hit on
all but top-line cards?

Old December 6th 05, 10:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

"JB" once tried to test me with:

[...]

This is going to sound crazy but try renaming the fear.exe file to
something else, and then create a new shortcut to run it. There is a bug in
the ATI driver that tries to optimize fear but does it completely wrong.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Old December 7th 05, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Also, 512 MB of system memory doesn't cut it with today's games!

--
Shinnokxz - http://www.coryhansen.com
Old December 7th 05, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

"Shinnokxz" wrote in message
Also, 512 MB of system memory doesn't cut it with today's games!

--
Shinnokxz - http://www.coryhansen.com

just to confirm - rename the FEAR.exe to something else like SCARE.exe and
use that - it bypasses a bug in the drivers caused through catalystAI and
yeah - it does need more than 512mb of RAM. also some ppl have found
problems with the 1.2 patch so if the first 2 dont help reinstall and dont
patch until 1.3 comes out.

Old December 7th 05, 03:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

"just to confirm - rename the FEAR.exe to something else like SCARE.exe
and

use that - it bypasses a bug in the drivers caused through catalyst AI "

Yes that should sort it....I am running Radeon 9800 pro with FEAR at 1024 x
768 on HIGHEST settings and it seems at least as smooth as Quake 4 at same
Res...Your X800 should be better...
The lower Graphic settings are very much poorer..

Luv mouse
@@@@@

Old December 7th 05, 11:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

just to confirm - rename the FEAR.exe to something else like SCARE.exe

Or

MOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!.EXE