Connecting a printer to both a print server and host computer

Old September 15th 05, 10:32 PM
Fred

Default Connecting a printer to both a print server and host computer

I have an HP 5110 OfficeJet all-in-one which I like a lot, but it's not =
a network compatible printer. I have two laptops on a wireless network =
and I'm running a Linksys print server so that my two laptops can print =
without having to go and turn on the host computer. And, yes, I could =
leave the host on all the time but I'd rather not ... even S3 Standby =
does not allow a client to print.

The 5110 is a USB printer so I've run the USB cable from the printer to =
the print server rather than the normal connection to the host computer. =
That works fine ... but ... my problem is, that unless the USB printer =
cable goes directly to a port on the host computer, I'm unable to access =
the advanced features of the printer ... i.e. fax, scan, double sided =
printing, etc. Only the basic printing mode is available ... bummer. I =
could buy the FinePrint program but I'm wondering if there might be =
another way.

Is there a connector available that would allow two USB cables (one from =
the server and one from the host) to plug into the type B socket on the =
printer? (sort of like a phone line splitter for 1M to 2F RJ11 Duplex =
Connector for a phone jack?).

If so, what's it called and where can I get it? Or, would two =
connections just conflict with each other?
--
TIA, Fred
Old September 16th 05, 02:52 PM
CWatters

"Fred" fpouy*NOSPAM*_AT_hotmail.com wrote in message

Is there a connector available that would allow two USB cables

I believe the nearest you will get is a USB switch..
http://www.national-tech.com/specs/40121a.htm
Push button one for PC1 Printer
Push button two for PC2 Printer
eg It's like connecting and disconnecting - only one PC is electrically
connected at a time. I suspect you will see "New hardware detected" messages
when you switch over and who knows what happens if you switch while
printing.

This type of device..
http://www.national-tech.com/specs/40sw-12100.htm
will probably have the same limitations as your server (eg limited support
and no back channel)

I don't think the USB protocol allows TWO master devices. How would the
printer know which PC it was taking to?

Old September 16th 05, 10:03 PM
Fred

"CWatters" wrote ...
=20
I believe the nearest you will get is a USB switch..
http://www.national-tech.com/specs/40121a.htm

Thanks for the feedback ... I'm pretty sure you're right.
--
Regards, Fred
Old September 16th 05, 11:32 PM
zakezuke

I believe the nearest you will get is a USB switch..
http://www.national-tech.com/specs/40121a.htm

Thanks for the feedback ... I'm pretty sure you're right.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/server/

I must admit I thought the same way that CWatters thought till a few
months ago when some user in this group asked about the keyspan usb
server. And it's true, USB wasn't really designed for device sharing.
I know nothing about this keyspan device so don't take this as a
reccomendation or anything. It's not a print server as one would know
it but rather a network usb hub. I believe... for example, you could
hookup a mouse to it and either tell the network usb hub which PC will
be using the mouse, or which pc will be using all the devices on the
hub.

I know none of the details but it's worth looking into.

Old September 17th 05, 05:55 PM
CWatters

"zakezuke" wrote in message
oups.com...
I believe the nearest you will get is a USB switch..
http://www.national-tech.com/specs/40121a.htm

Thanks for the feedback ... I'm pretty sure you're right.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/server/

I must admit I thought the same way that CWatters thought till a few
months ago when some user in this group asked about the keyspan usb
server. And it's true, USB wasn't really designed for device sharing.
I know nothing about this keyspan device so don't take this as a
reccomendation or anything. It's not a print server as one would know
it but rather a network usb hub. I believe... for example, you could
hookup a mouse to it and either tell the network usb hub which PC will
be using the mouse, or which pc will be using all the devices on the
hub.

Thanks for that. It's quite interesting but not quite perfect. It appears to
work a bit like the mecanical switch in that only one PC is "connected" at
any one time BUT in this case the "switch" is controlled electronically by
an admin program over the LAN.

Here is a review I found...

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardwar...USB_Server.htm

See also the user feedback at the bottom. It describes it quite well...

Quote:

With the USB server, every PC uses a little administration program. When
launched, it opens a window that lists all of the devices that are connected
to the USB server. A PC on the network that wants to use a device (i.e.
print) needs to first take command of that device. You just select the
device by name, and hit the connect button. From that point on, it's as if
the printer were plugged directly into your PC. Others trying to use the
printer would see that you were subscribed to it; they would have to wait
until you release the subscription - which you have to do manually.

Old September 17th 05, 10:42 PM
ian lincoln

"CWatters" wrote in message
Others trying to use the
printer would see that you were subscribed to it; they would have to wait
until you release the subscription - which you have to do manually.

I could see that being a major headache in a typical office.

Old September 18th 05, 03:33 PM
CWatters

"ian lincoln" wrote in message
.. .

"CWatters" wrote in message
Others trying to use the
printer would see that you were subscribed to it; they would have to

wait
until you release the subscription - which you have to do manually.

I could see that being a major headache in a typical office.

Yes I think in an office you would be better off getting a propper network
printer. I've got an HP6840 which comes with wired and wireless LAN ports.