Western Digital 500gb problem

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 16th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Western Digital 500gb problem

I own both an Asus A8V and a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 motherboard based
computers using the VIA VT8237 southbridge. It's suppose to support
large drives. Unfortunately both computers' BIOSes will only recognize
my WD 500Gb as a 137Gb drive. I had the same problem with a large
Maxtor hard drive (400gb I believe). My current Western Digital was a
replacement for the Maxtor, which I thought was the original problem.

On the Asus board I'm using a WD 240Gb drive, and on the Gigabyte I'm
using a Maxtor 200Gb drive. No problems with either as the boot
drives. But why would these computers' BIOSes be reporting the larger
500Gb drive as 137Gb? Both computers have Windows XP with SP2
installed.

Any help is appreciated.