Something is scanning my system, probably spyware in Firefox.

Old November 20th 18, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Something is scanning my system, probably spyware in Firefox.

It happens from system process.

It reads DLLS and all kinds of other crap it has no busy reading this.

192 kb/sec per file... it's quite taxing on my system and quite annoying.

My best guess it's Firefox secretly scanning installed programs ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 21st 18, 04:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
It happens from system process.

It reads DLLS and all kinds of other crap it has no busy reading this.

192 kb/sec per file... it's quite taxing on my system and quite annoying.

My best guess it's Firefox secretly scanning installed programs ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.

Take system offline and scan it.

https://rescuedisk.s.kaspersky-labs....e/2018/krd.iso

( https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/krd18 )

There's a danger what you're seeing is Ransomware.
See if any .doc or .xls files in your data area,
have a funny new file extension on the end of them.
The file extension marks them as being encrypted.
Eventually a red dialog will announce what the
ransom amount in Bitcoins is.

Hope you have backups.

A guy in one of my other groups got hit by ransomware,
and he was most unprepared... He double-clicked an
involve from Go-Daddy, but the message was a fake and
the attachment was *executable* . It took months to
clean up (reinstall OSes, and so on).

If it was ransomware, you'd see some process both
reading and writing the disk (so it can encrypt).
If it's just reading, then it might be a spyware.

*******

At one time, I could recommend Adwcleaner. But it's
been bought by Malwarebytes, and I don't think the
original author is associated with it any more. It
does things like check the user preferences .js file
in Firefox, for "added lines" used to infect it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes specialty is online scanning. Whereas
the above Kaspersky disc is for offline scanning.
Kaspersky uses a version of the Gentoo operating
system as its host, while it scans.

Paul
Old November 21st 18, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_39_]

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

My best guess it's Firefox secretly scanning installed programs ?!

Instead of trying to figure out what's happening, just clean
install EVERYTHING including Window$?

That is the LAST option, no?

Old November 21st 18, 05:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 10:38:09 -0500, Bill wrote:

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

My best guess it's Firefox secretly scanning installed programs ?!

Instead of trying to figure out what's happening, just clean
install EVERYTHING including Window$?

That is the LAST option, no?

Yes. The OP needs to do more investigation, obviously being very
careful.
--
I am the God of Hell fire and I bring you: Brexit
Old November 21st 18, 06:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

My best guess it's Firefox secretly scanning installed programs ?!

Instead of trying to figure out what's happening, just clean
install EVERYTHING including Window$?

That is the LAST option, no?

Yes. The OP needs to do more investigation, obviously being very
careful.

And it takes time! Skip to Start and collect $200!

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
¤£*ɶU! ¤£¶BÄF! ¤£½ä¿ú! ¤£´©¥æ! ¤£¥´¥æ! ¤£¥´§T! ¤£¦Û±þ! ¤£¨D¯«!
½Ð¦Ò¼{ºî´© (CSSA):
Old November 21st 18, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

My best guess it's Firefox secretly scanning installed programs ?!

Instead of trying to figure out what's happening, just clean install
EVERYTHING including Window$?

That is the LAST option, no?

Yes. The OP needs to do more investigation, obviously being very
careful.

And it takes time! Skip to Start and collect $200!

But you install for any possible reason.

If the sun goes behind the clouds outside, you reinstall your OS.

If a black cat crosses your trail, you reinstall twice.

Paul
Old November 21st 18, 07:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark[_20_]

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

My best guess it's Firefox secretly scanning installed programs ?!

Instead of trying to figure out what's happening, just clean install
EVERYTHING including Window$?

That is the LAST option, no?

Yes. The OP needs to do more investigation, obviously being very
careful.

And it takes time! Skip to Start and collect $200!

But you install for any possible reason.

If the sun goes behind the clouds outside, you reinstall your OS.

If a black cat crosses your trail, you reinstall twice.

Which makes no sense, as you well know.

--
I am the God of Hell fire and I bring you: Brexit
Old November 21st 18, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

My best guess it's Firefox secretly scanning installed programs ?!
Instead of trying to figure out what's happening, just clean install
EVERYTHING including Window$?
That is the LAST option, no?

Yes. The OP needs to do more investigation, obviously being very
careful.

And it takes time! Skip to Start and collect $200!

But you install for any possible reason.

If the sun goes behind the clouds outside, you reinstall your OS.

If a black cat crosses your trail, you reinstall twice.

Which makes no sense, as you well know.

I Repair Install here, as part of experiments, but I hardly
ever Clean Install on a main OS. It would take too much work
to whip into shape.

Paul