Client Lease Time?

Old November 21st 10, 03:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default Client Lease Time?

What's the significance of the client lease time in a linksys router?

Apparently 30000 is not a good idea - I ran out of legal addresses.

Next try is 0.

I'm not sure what I'm trading off with this.

Old November 21st 10, 04:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

On 11/21/2010 10:59 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
What's the significance of the client lease time in a linksys router?

Apparently 30000 is not a good idea - I ran out of legal addresses.

Next try is 0.

I'm not sure what I'm trading off with this.

You attempted to set a release time of approximately 3 weeks.
The Client Lease Time is the amount of time a network user
will be allowed connection to the Router with their current
dynamic IP address. Enter the amount of time, in minutes,
that the user will be “leased” this dynamic IP address.
After the time is up, the user will be automatically
assigned a new dynamic IP address. The default is 0 minutes,
which means one day.

Old November 21st 10, 05:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Pen wrote:

On 11/21/2010 10:59 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
What's the significance of the client lease time in a linksys router?

Apparently 30000 is not a good idea - I ran out of legal addresses.

Next try is 0.

I'm not sure what I'm trading off with this.

You attempted to set a release time of approximately 3 weeks.
The Client Lease Time is the amount of time a network user
will be allowed connection to the Router with their current
dynamic IP address. Enter the amount of time, in minutes,
that the user will be “leased” this dynamic IP address.
After the time is up, the user will be automatically
assigned a new dynamic IP address. The default is 0 minutes,
which means one day.

Thanks.

What happens when the lease time is up if the laptop is still connected to the network?
Mine is on 24/7.

Does it start a negotiation on a new address, or just hang? Windows XP Home.

Old November 21st 10, 05:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

On 11/21/2010 12:19 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
Pen wrote:

[...]

It just gets a new one. Mine is on 24/7 for months at a time.

Old November 21st 10, 07:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 11/21/2010 10:59 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
What's the significance of the client lease time in a linksys router?

Apparently 30000 is not a good idea - I ran out of legal addresses.

Next try is 0.

I'm not sure what I'm trading off with this.

when a device like a laptop connects to your linksys router is is given
what is called an ip address for a certain amount of time (the lease).
this address allows the device to communicate with the router and other
devices on the network without conflict. if you are running out of
'legal addresses' you can do many things. one is to shorten the lease
time for the ip address as you seem to be trying to do so that the
computer that was using has to renew or it is dropped from the list of
leased address making the address once again available to be issued to
some other device. another is to increase the number of available
address issued by the linksys router (found under the dhcp configuration
settings). linksys typically defaults to issuing about 50 ip addresses
(192.168.1.100-150). but you have to ask yourself what you are doing...
are you a coffee shop that has scores of laptop users coming in and out
of the shop every day and connecting to your router for just a moment?
are you living in an apartment building and don't have a password on
your wireless router and everyone in the building is connecting
wirelessly to your router and using your internet service and blocking
you from connecting to the router yourself... a lot is definately
missing from your question, and i don't just mean the 'please' or
'thank you.'
Old November 21st 10, 07:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Pen wrote:

[...]

that is not correct. if the computer is on and connected to the network
when the lease reaches expiration, the computer renews its lease in
which case the ip address stays the same.
Old November 24th 10, 03:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

that is not correct. if the computer is on and connected to the network
when the lease reaches expiration, the computer renews its lease in
which case the ip address stays the same.

Nor is that 100% true. What your router or DHCP server actually does depends
greatly upon its programming. I don't believe the technical documentation
specifies a behavior, and I've seen different devices that do both.

William

Old November 24th 10, 03:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
timdrouillard

The 'typical' 'general' behavior of a DHCP server is to indeed pass out IP
address as a clients requests them, for a standard default amount of time.
And yes, this all depends on the particular settings/programming of the DHCP
server.

For the sake of this discussion, we'll use 3 days as the lease time.

During those three days, the DHCP server will check with the client to see
if it's still using the address I seem to recall that the DHCP server will
check halfway through the lease period.

If the client is still using the address, the lease will get
renewed/extended/continued.

If after the set time period the client is not using that address, it gets
put back in the pool of available address ready to be handed out to the next
client asking for one.

The shorter the lease time is set to, the quicker the lease address can
become available for example if it's a laptop that acquires an address, then
the laptop is removed from the network for a few days.

For a home network, there really normally isn't any great need to set the
lease time for a great amount of time since an active lease will get renewed
automatically. The danger would be, if you set the lease time to a great
amount of time, and you are connecting and disconnecting a large number of
clients, then you can run out of addresses potentially.

The downside to setting a short lease time is that it increases the network
traffic generated by the DHCP server as it checks the clients more often to
see if they are still using the address. Again, that amount of traffic
shouldn't be an issue with a typical home lan.

Hi!