Sentenced to be burnt by USB

Old September 8th 20, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Sentenced to be burnt by USB

Bought a Crucial 128G USB flashdrive, possibly for what a 256G SDD now
costs. Not that old, at least for me, but obviously not new. Four to
five years' of usage is the guess. Now there's intermittent
connection issues, repeatedly re-seating the drive until an access
light goes from long durations of faults cycling a couple or more
seconds, to short flashes 500ms or apart which are a normal indication
to a successful read.

Reformatting and refilling it, usually with a 32G - 64G (seldom
beyond), I usually work with, is what's left. Which I haven't yet
done on pessimistic suspicions, perhaps at some later point to attempt
if current accesses worsen. Errors exhibited irrespective to two
computers at four front USB ports, Crucial's drive connection would
appear faulty;- or near, just had a brown-out and the flashdrive began
cycling, physically undisturbed, into an error state after a BIOS
auto/reboot.

Half what I paid, maybe $15 for another 128G flashdrive replacement.
That would nice. That was the Crucial name and purposeful at the
time, for what its worth now in Crucial's failure/error cycles.

Two USBSSD adapters (as low as $5ea.?) hanging off a USB port for a
SSD to fill the function of a flashdrive is something that wasn't
around when I bought the Crucial. Then again, though I'm not
especially rough, I've yet to break a SSD interface through regular if
not quite daily hot-swaps. Nice to know, I suppose, when occurring to
be available for more pretty wires alternatively to dangle off USB
ports.

So far I've been real good at resisting the temptation to buy a USB
toothbrush.
Old September 8th 20, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 8/9/2020 8:54 AM, Flasherly wrote:

Bought a Crucial 128G USB flashdrive, possibly for what a 256G SDD now
costs. Not that old, at least for me, but obviously not new. Four to
five years' of usage is the guess. Now there's intermittent
connection issues, repeatedly re-seating the drive until an access
light goes from long durations of faults cycling a couple or more
seconds, to short flashes 500ms or apart which are a normal indication
to a successful read.

USB 2.0 or USB 3 ports?
Branded PC? What brand and model? Motherboard info?

I suspect it's a power issue, not enough current in the port.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
¤£*ɶU! ¤£¶BÄF! ¤£½ä¿ú! ¤£´©¥æ! ¤£¥´¥æ! ¤£¥´§T! ¤£¦Û±þ! ¤£¨D¯«!
½Ð¦Ò¼{ºî´© (CSSA):
Old September 9th 20, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 04:11:14 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

USB 2.0 or USB 3 ports?
Branded PC? What brand and model? Motherboard info?

I suspect it's a power issue, not enough current in the port.

That's an idea, although they're both the same Gigabyte MB, probably
working great with other Flashsticks. At least I doubt I'd run into
that issue with other than the Crucial brand flashstick. (I don't
actually use my other flashsticks much anymore, although I'm often on
the Crucial.) If that were the case a HUB and direct connect to MB
headers might be indicated. There is one USB3 port, although seems
I've noticed a couple people say, with my MB, they've burn out the
controller for it. Flashsticks, some I hear, can get very hot pushing
their limits at USB3 speeds.
Old September 13th 20, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 9/9/2020 8:25 AM, Flasherly wrote:

That's an idea, although they're both the same Gigabyte MB, probably
working great with other Flashsticks. At least I doubt I'd run into
that issue with other than the Crucial brand flashstick. (I don't
actually use my other flashsticks much anymore, although I'm often on
the Crucial.) If that were the case a HUB and direct connect to MB
headers might be indicated. There is one USB3 port, although seems
I've noticed a couple people say, with my MB, they've burn out the
controller for it. Flashsticks, some I hear, can get very hot pushing
their limits at USB3 speeds.

You can add a USB 3.0 PCIe adapter if you wish. But you might wanna
consider a new motherboard.

Old September 13th 20, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 00:53:46 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

You can add a USB 3.0 PCIe adapter if you wish. But you might wanna
consider a new motherboard.

I've already have two PCI USB3 adapters. Never used them much other
than to get them up and running. The thing about new MBs is they've
all changed to cheap boards with one PCI slot, if that, maybe a
smaller-factor PCI. Cheap boards, anyway. When I looked at them, not
long ago, all were Chinese knock-offs, Socket AM3, and they didn't
offhand say if there were drives;- probably generic chipsets of an
auto-Windows XP install. I also have a PCI USB2 4-port array, a
Matrox PCI videocard, and a couple PCI SATA controllers.

Building a new system is now somewhat more complex and easily more
expensive for other than Windows 7 or a UNIX operating system. ASUS,
apparently, doesn't even blink and eye when pricing MBs @$300/US. .(
Old September 13th 20, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 16:40:03 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

There's also USB for a audio Mixer board, and a audio-amplifier _Fx
Module_ that is for audio instruments, I often use for adding effects
between the pre- and output amplifier stage on a couple of vacuum tube
amplifiers. I've also needed USB latency devices for zeroing out any
delays with a microphone/headphone combination, when singing or
recording on top of prior sound recordings in a multi-track "MixDown",
e.g. combined into the Mastered Session.

But, yes, that could be an issue, as when plugging the _Fx Module_
into USB2, which supplies a dedicated program interface for
controlling the module parameters (for reverb, compression,
noise-gates, distortion, EQ, &etc). I usually to leave the USB cable
plugged into the Fx module, and when it errors out, briefly to remove
the Fx module's power brick, where plugging power back into the module
then corrects the module identity problem, for the program to synch
and identify from the USB signal firmware feed.

It could be marginal USB signal strength, as you first suggested And
a powered USB hub may be another approach also to try.
Old September 13th 20, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 17:38:28 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

another approach also to try.

As well the available USB ports on the backplane interface riser,
secondary direct-to-MB soldered USB interfaces, will have to be tested
likewise for issues of congruity experienced for both the OEM cabling
and PC-case supplied female front two USB sockets.

It's a generic case I've been at more than once with various tin-snips
and metal shears. Presently laying on its side, the top side cover is
removed and the top side of the cage HDD cage's steel is also cut out
with shears. I use the finest straightened paper-clip to screw down
the HDDs onto, for proper distancing and precision HDD alignment.