Need a Better, Beefier Video Card

Old September 28th 10, 11:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
brad

Default Need a Better, Beefier Video Card

Monica wrote:
Like pacca, mine too is a 375w power supply.
Looking a Newegg and narrowing the search to Free Shipping/nVidia
chipset/price $100-$200/1GB RAM, I get 7 results. I don't recognize how
they brand these cards anymore.
Any comments/suggestions? If it matters, my monitor is Dell 2005FPW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eId=1&name=1GB
Monica
"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message ...

Hi!

I have a XPS 420 running XP SP3. I'm maxed out on system RAM at 3GB.
Core Quad Q660 @ 2.40GHz

I'm very certain the power supply will handle the load. Dell was still
using
quality power supplies at the time your system was produced, and they were
conservatively rated. I expect that you'll find at least a 305 watt supply
underhood, and yes, it will be printed on the label when you open the
cover.

(In fact, the 305 watt unit I'm used to seeing in various systems really
looks to me like it would be good for 450 watts based on a cursory
examination.)

I have some ATI video cards. They're fine. But as much as I like AMD and
their products, I'm afraid that I'm slightly partial to nVidia. I woud say
that nVidia has a better driver policy, as they tend to support older
chipsets for quite a while and I find their drivers site to be more
friendly
than that of ATI/AMD.

William

Im running a Geforce 6800 Ultra in my Dimension 9200 (XPS 410) quad core
Q6600, no problems at all handling this huge video card.

brad
Old September 28th 10, 10:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

I've renewed my interest in making video slideshows using Photodex's Proshow
Producer. My ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro is doing a pretty good job but I do
tend to get some stuttering or jerkiness with some slide styles and
transistions. The user forum at the Proshow website say I probably need a
better video card. Course it's never that simple.
I have a XPS 420 running XP SP3. I'm maxed out on system RAM at 3GB.
Core Quad Q660 @ 2.40GHz

Here are some comments made concerning my future purchase of a new card:

What size power supply do you have? Some higher end video cards today
require that besides the card being plugged in to your motherboard they
also be plugged in to the power supply as they need more power than video
cards of old.

So I need to know what size my power supply is and if it can handle the card
I choose. Will this information be on the power supply where I can see it
if I remove the case cover?

Yes, $150 to $200 should get you a very nice video card. One word of
warning do some research on the brands and models and try to find one that
has stable drivers. I purchased an Nvidia Quadro FX3800 a year ago ($900)
and I am still trying to get stable drivers. I would look again at ATI I
would also look for 1GB of DDR3 Ram if possible, but no less than 512MB.
Video cards are going to become more and more important as this is where
we will start seeing our speed increases coming from instead of the CPU.
CPU's are just about at their max, GPU's however can really make a
difference.

A word of caution. I would be careful to keep within the voltage
parameters of your current power supply. Your particular budget will
afford you a very nice card (I'm partial to NVIDIA cards myself), but I'm
not sure that your power supply is up to the task of supporting some of
the more powerful cards that you would be able to buy. Many of these cards
need to be powered by separate power connectors from the power supply as
the PCI bus does not natively supply sufficient voltages.

I would suggest contacting Dell and ask them for a recommendation for a
video card upgrade that your particular model and power supply will
support.

Of course I have more confidence in you guys than the people hired by Dell!
Could you help me out here please? And if I can spend less on a card to do
what I need to do, that would be great too. Suggestions would be greatly
appreciated! All this is more confusing to me than it used to be! I wish
my brain and I were on speaking terms again!

Monica

Old September 29th 10, 12:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pacca[_5_]

I have xps 420 with Q6600 processor same as yours ,power supply is 375 watt
, I personally like ATI video cards.

Old September 30th 10, 05:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 9/29/2010 1:15 AM, Monica wrote:
Like pacca, mine too is a 375w power supply.
Looking a Newegg and narrowing the search to Free Shipping/nVidia
chipset/price $100-$200/1GB RAM, I get 7 results. I don't recognize how
they brand these cards anymore.
Any comments/suggestions? If it matters, my monitor is Dell 2005FPW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eId=1&name=1GB
Monica
"William R. ech.com
wrote in message ...
[...]

nVidia sells chips, a reference design for manufacturing, and driver set
to any company with apparent contractual terms relating to product
quality. I have seen cards with nVidia chips manufactured by third
parties with no fan, a cheap tiny fan, and a monster honking fan so
large that the card needs two slots of capacity in a motherboard
chassis. So which brand of nVidia card to buy?

Of the brands on the newegg web site at just after midnight on September
30, PNY and Gigabyte have long manufactured other products of good
quality. I know little about eVGA and XFX, whose cards show up a lot
lately. I have been mightily put off by anything made by MSI after they
manufactured a lot of motherboards with bad capacitors a few years ago,
helping to kill IBM's desktop computer business. The other brands are
unknown to me, and probably are a crapshoot. Perhaps someone else can
enlighten us... Ben Myers
Old September 30th 10, 07:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

I'd rather eat a bowl of bugs than try to have a conversation (chat or
phone) with DELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They no nothing and/or won't let me speak to anyone that DOES!
THIS is why I come here for help
One person, via (Upgrade) chat, said that my system CAN HANDLE this card:
EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250, 1024MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0 (2) Dual
Link DVI, SLI Ready
Then he connected me to tech chat who told me I was connected with the wrong
ts. Gave me a phone number to call
and those people hang up on you when you tell them you're not buying a card
from Dell.
Then someone on the Proshow forum said:
Today's video cards are power hungry. Unfortunately, the GTS 250 has a 450w
and 24A requirement (CAN'T HANDLE)
Word of caution: Before buying any video card check it's power requirements
and make sure that it does not exceed the capacity of your power supply.

So can someone tell me what specs to look for? Will my XPS 420 with 3GB
system ram and a 375w power supply handle
DDR3 (higher)? PCI Express 2? 1GB video ram?
Monica

Old October 5th 10, 07:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

This is a card I am (was) considering. You guys say that the 375w power
supply is stronger than what it's rated? Dell's website recommends a 400W
power supply for this graphic's card.
ATI Radeon HD 5500, 1GB, DDR3, PCI Express. What do you think? Is it safe?
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...18244#Overview

Old October 6th 10, 07:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
JCR

My XPS420 shipped with an HD3870X2 and a 425watt ps

John