Dimension e series

Old September 25th 10, 12:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

Default Dimension e series

I was given a dimension e-310 case, and have access to a e-510 case
with most of the internal parts inside. Both may have bad boards. I
noticed that each had aluminum heat sinks. Are these worth re-buiding?
Did the e series ever have a copper heat sink?
mc
Old September 25th 10, 06:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Are these worth re-buiding?

Probably. Even today they'd make decent workhorse systems. I wouldn't spend
a ton of money to make them work again, but some is reasoanble enough.

I thought a Dimension E521 with a blasted motherboard was a reasonable bet
and put the money into a new board. I have not regretted doing so at all.

Did the e series ever have a copper heat sink?

Not to my knowledge. The aluminum heatsink is massive and therefore a good
conductor of heat. In fact, Dell sometimes varied the height of the fins so
that there was an "air gap". And have you seen the front panel fan? It's
massive...!

Wiliam

Old September 27th 10, 02:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

On Sep 25, 1:17*am, "William R. Walsh"
m wrote:
Hi!

Are these worth re-buiding?

Probably. Even today they'd make decent workhorse systems. I wouldn't spend
a ton of money to make them work again, but some is reasoanble enough.

I thought a Dimension E521 with a blasted motherboard was a reasonable bet
and put the money into a new board. I have not regretted doing so at all.

Did the e series ever have a copper heat sink?

Not to my knowledge. The aluminum heatsink is massive and therefore a good
conductor of heat. In fact, Dell sometimes varied the height of the fins so
that there was an "air gap". And have you seen the front panel fan? It's
massive...!

Wiliam

Is there any difference between the e510 motherboards, HJ054 and
J8885?
mc
Old September 27th 10, 03:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

m wrote:
Hi!

Are these worth re-buiding?

Probably. Even today they'd make decent workhorse systems. I wouldn't spend
a ton of money to make them work again, but some is reasoanble enough.

I thought a Dimension E521 with a blasted motherboard was a reasonable bet
and put the money into a new board. I have not regretted doing so at all.

Did the e series ever have a copper heat sink?

Not to my knowledge. The aluminum heatsink is massive and therefore a good
conductor of heat. In fact, Dell sometimes varied the height of the fins so
that there was an "air gap". And have you seen the front panel fan? It's
massive...!

Wiliam

Is there any difference between the e510 motherboards, HJ054 and
J8885?
mc- Hide quoted text -

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could obtain a power supply
tester. I see some local techs using small load testers that they
obtained from manufacturers that sell power supplies.
mc
Old September 27th 10, 10:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

m wrote:
[...]

I see the difference between boards is that the HJ054 supports using a
pentium D. So I'm going to try and find one of these a resonable
price. As far as finding a power supply tester, I've located a few
online but I have not found one that still reads -5V for the older
board systems. Any suggestions.
mc
Old September 27th 10, 11:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

I see the difference between boards is that the HJ054 supports using a
pentium D.

Well, you're doing better than I would have thus far. I don't know that
board very well and have not researched it.

As far as finding a power supply tester, I've located a few online but I
have not found one that still reads -5V for the older board systems.
Any suggestions.

You need only a piece of scrap wire, possibly some older hard drives and a
cheap multimeter to test a computer power supply. The scrap wire is used to
ground the green wire in the motherboard power connector (connect it to a
black wire). There is very little danger in doing this, as you are only
dealing with a low voltage (5 volt) source.

Since some power supplies need a minimum load to work properly (although
this is pretty rare), that is where the old hard drives come in. They should
be ones that you won't mind losing if the power supply is bad.

The voltmeter (need not be expensive, just relatively accurate) will tell
you what all the power supply voltages are doing. This is better than what a
lot of load testers do, as many of the ones I have seen only turn on an LED.

In a system as new as the Dimension E series, I'd be rather surprised if you
found a -5V line anywhere. Having a -5V line hasn't been required in the
ATX/BTX power specification since the early 2000s. Even so, a few power
supplies still have one.

William

Old September 29th 10, 01:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

On Sep 27, 6:54*pm, "William R. Walsh"
m wrote:
Hi!

[...]

Ok I have a hj054 MB on order. I need some help in understanding the
best choice for a cpu. This board is supposed to handle a pentium D
dual core. So what exactly does this mean as far as choices? It says
it has a 945G chip.
mc
Old September 30th 10, 05:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 9/28/2010 8:08 PM, mc wrote:
On Sep 27, 6:54 pm, "William R. Walsh"
m wrote:
Hi!

[...]

According to Intel's web site, the 945G chipset supports the Core 2 Duo
CPU, as the fastest, bestest and baddest CPU you can install.

http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...g-overview.htm

.... Ben Myers
Old September 30th 10, 10:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

On Sep 30, 12:16*am, Ben Myers wrote:
On 9/28/2010 8:08 PM, mc wrote:

On Sep 27, 6:54 pm, "William R. Walsh"
m *wrote:
Hi!

[...]

... Ben Myers- Hide quoted text -

So is core 2 duo the same as pentium D, or is it different? I'm
guessing the biggest and baddest pentium D also means the HOTTEST.
mc
Old October 1st 10, 03:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mc

On 9/28/2010 8:08 PM, mc wrote:

On Sep 27, 6:54 pm, "William R. Walsh"
m *wrote:
Hi!

[...]

Ok, I see pentium D and core 2 are different. From what I'm reading,
core 2 will work on the e-520 series and not e-510.
mc