ADI1984A chipset audio output power

Old September 23rd 10, 12:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

Default ADI1984A chipset audio output power

How much audio power can an onboard chipset handle?
I'm considering purchase of a Dell T3500 Precision Workstation,
and I don't need anything more than 2 channels of stereo. I'm
also considering the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 speakers, each
of which the specs say can output 20 watts of audio power. This
means that if I use the motherboard's ADI1984A integrated audio
chipset, the chips would have to handle a total of 40 watts of power.
Are they capable of doing that without appreciable distortion?
Or would I need to use an audio card of some sort (or powered
speakers) for that amount of audio power?

*TimDaniels*

Old September 23rd 10, 12:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"Timothy Daniels" NoSpam SpamMeKnot.biz wrote:

How much audio power can an onboard chipset handle? I'm
considering purchase of a Dell T3500 Precision Workstation, and
I don't need anything more than 2 channels of stereo. I'm also
considering the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 speakers, each of
which the specs say can output 20 watts of audio power. This
means that if I use the motherboard's ADI1984A integrated audio
chipset, the chips would have to handle a total of 40 watts of
power. Are they capable of doing that

No.

without appreciable distortion? Or would I need to use an audio
card of some sort (or powered speakers) for that amount of audio
power?

Buy powered speakers, unless you want to buy a discrete
(standalone) power amplifier. Onboard audio chipsets do not
include power amplifiers. And the days of amplified sound cards
are long gone.
--

*TimDaniels*

Old September 23rd 10, 01:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Timothy Daniels wrote:
How much audio power can an onboard chipset handle?
I'm considering purchase of a Dell T3500 Precision Workstation,
and I don't need anything more than 2 channels of stereo. I'm
also considering the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 speakers, each
of which the specs say can output 20 watts of audio power. This
means that if I use the motherboard's ADI1984A integrated audio
chipset, the chips would have to handle a total of 40 watts of power.
Are they capable of doing that without appreciable distortion?
Or would I need to use an audio card of some sort (or powered
speakers) for that amount of audio power?

*TimDaniels*

The speakers have built-in amplifiers. No "power" of note, will
be drawn from the computer.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...phileAV40.html

"20-watt-per-channel amplifier with Class A/B architecture"

That means the speakers take care of all "power" issues, because
there is an amplifier inside the speakers.

From the specifications tab on that web page:

"input Connectors: left and right RCA line input,
left and right 1/4" TRS input
and 1/8" aux input

input Impedance: 10 k ohm unbalanced, 20 k ohm balanced

Computer audio outputs have two specifications. If you find
three to six 1/8" stereo connectors on the back of a computer,
the one labeled "Line Out" can drive a 32 ohm load. The
other channels can drive a 600 ohm load. Computer "line level",
means being able to drive somewhere around 1 volt RMS into
a 600 or 32 ohm load. The connector (or connectors) that support
32 ohm loads, are intended to drive headphones. Usually,
there are limits as to how many sets of headphones the
built-in computer audio can drive.

The input impedance of the amplifiers in those speakers,
have 10,000 ohms or higher value. Higher resistance draws
less power. So comparing 10,000 ohms input, to 600 or 32 ohms
output, is no contest. The computer can barely feel the
electrical load of those speakers. You could drive a ton
of amplified speakers in parallel, because of the high
input impedance.

So you'll have no problem at all using those speakers.

"Amplified" speakers, are intended for usage with your
average computer.

There is a power switch, and a line cord connector on the back
of the left speaker. A regular speaker cable runs from the
left speaker to the right speaker. The stereo amplifier is contained
inside the left speaker, and that stereo amp drives the right
speaker. A cable is needed, to connect the right speaker
to its amplifier.

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...PAV40_back.jpg

I suspect the "Aux-In" on the front of the speakers, is where
you run a cable from the "Line Out" on your computer. That is
the most convenient way of connecting it. Alternately, you can
use a 1/8" to dual RCA adapter, if you want to use the
RCA inputs on the back of the left speaker.

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...AV40_front.jpg

You can see a volume control, on the left speaker, in the lower
left hand corner. It is lighted, so you can find it in the dark.

The product comes with all cables, and appears to be ready to use,
out of the box. Set the AC input to 120 or 220, plug in the
AC cable, flip on the "Power" switch, set the volume knob on
the front to a comfortable level, and enjoy.

HTH,
Paul
Old September 23rd 10, 02:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Paul" wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote:
[...]

From the specifications tab on that web page:

[...]

Thanks, Paul and John. I suspected that the chipset would only
supply the audio signal power, not the audio output power that drove
the speakers. But the Dell sales rep kept insisting that the workstation's
audio chipset could handle an output of 20watts per channel easily,
and he even said that he'd send me an audio card if I found that it didn't.
Somehow, I couldn't see that kind of signal power coming off the
motherboard, so I figured it would be prudent to check in the NGs.
Thanks, again, guys.

*TimDaniels*

Old September 23rd 10, 03:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

How much audio power can an onboard chipset handle?

It's a line level output only, at best. It will drive small speakers or
possibly headphones.

I doubt you'd damage the audio hardware, but it won't sound like much of
anything at all trying to drive those speakers.

If they are not powered, I'd highly recommend using something like the
Sherwood RX-4109 or 4105 stereo receivers to drive them. They're cheap and
sound good.

William

Old September 24th 10, 02:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"William R. Walsh" replied:
Hi!

How much audio power can an onboard chipset handle?

It's a line level output only, at best. It will drive small speakers or
possibly headphones.

I doubt you'd damage the audio hardware, but it won't sound like much of
anything at all trying to drive those speakers.

If they are not powered, I'd highly recommend using something like the
Sherwood RX-4109 or 4105 stereo receivers to drive them. They're cheap and
sound good.

William

Thanks, William. I've decided on the M-Audio AV40s, which are
powered speakers. I've spent 2 weeks agonizing over so many options
that adding selection of an external amplifier and passive speakers would
have tripped my circuit breakers. :-) These speakers don't have a bass
box, but they are big and heavy, and I figure they'll be good enough for
casual listening in 2-channel stereo.

*TimDaniels*

Old December 2nd 10, 09:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_6_]

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in
m:

"William R. Walsh" replied:
Hi!

[...]

Hi,

I am also looking for a pair of 2.0 speakers to listen to music. The
reviews for the AV40s are better than average. Have you gotten these
yet?

Boris