Bootable eSata backup software?

Old August 6th 10, 02:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Bootable eSata backup software?

I recently bought an iomega eSata/USB external hard
drive. On the box they touted some of their software
that claimed to be able to create a bootable backup
image on the external hard drive. I googled their
software and it did not sound good.

But I love the concept. Create a partition on the EHD
the same size as the system partition on the PC to be
backed up. Keep an up to date bootable backup on that
partition. Use the rest of the disk for frequent data
backups.

Is there a good software package that could do this for
a 64 bit Win 7 installation?

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
Old August 8th 10, 02:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

On the box they touted some of their software that claimed to be able to

create
a bootable backup image on the external hard drive. I googled their

software
and it did not sound good.

It's probably every bit as bad as it sounded and then some. Why those who
sell external hard drives insist on loading this crap on them when there are
some good, free choices out there confounds me. (And don't get me started on
Western Digital DumbWare.)

A software program such as Acronis True Image can do the job you want to do,
and it should do so fairly painlessly. As far as I know, it is clear for use
on 64-bit Windows (not tried it, though).

William

Old August 8th 10, 04:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
William R. Walsh typed on Sat, 7 Aug 2010 20:26:31 -0500:
Hi!

On the box they touted some of their software that claimed to be
able to create a bootable backup image on the external hard drive.
I googled their software and it did not sound good.

It's probably every bit as bad as it sounded and then some. Why those
who sell external hard drives insist on loading this crap on them
when there are some good, free choices out there confounds me. (And
don't get me started on Western Digital DumbWare.)

A software program such as Acronis True Image can do the job you want
to do, and it should do so fairly painlessly. As far as I know, it is
clear for use on 64-bit Windows (not tried it, though).

No! Acronis True Image is the worst when it comes to external hard
drives. As you can make backups all you want too, but some you can't
restore from. Acronis True Image fix is to tell you to use an internal
hard drive instead. And I say to Acronis True Image to go to hell! No
other backup software I know has this same problem. And I have pages of
other problems with Acronis True Image as well. But when it works, it
works well. When it doesn't, it is completely useless.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

Old August 8th 10, 04:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 22:14:33 -0500, "BillW50" wrote:

[...]

I remember reading some time ago about TI problems. FWIW, I'm using
their TI version 11 beta now. Hopefully it will solve some or all of
the problems you know of. And no I'm not a TI lover but I don't know
of a better alternative right now. I have done some research on
this. That said, I'm sure I didn't cover every alternative so I'm
willing to listen to others.
Old August 8th 10, 07:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

No! Acronis True Image is the worst when it comes to external hard
drives.

Waitaminute...the OP said the drive has supports a (e)SATA connection.
Nearly every eSATA implementation out there does *not* differentiate between
internal and external devices.

Maybe it won't work well on a USB or Firewire drive (though I used it with
good results when I tried)...don't know about that.

William

Old August 8th 10, 02:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
RnR typed on Sat, 07 Aug 2010 22:43:12 -0500:
[...]

I am running Acronis True Image v12 right now and the problems are still
there. And they were there as long as I can remember. And Acronis True
Image has never shown any interest in fixing them in all of these years.

There are lots of alternatives out there. Paragon is one that is better
in this regard than Acronis True Image is. Only two things I don't like
about Paragon is that incremental is super slow. And the boot CD doesn't
work on a 800x480 screen (7 inch netbook screens). Then there is Norton
Ghost which is quite good. And believe it or not, even firing up BartPE
and just copy the files and folders over works well too. In fact, I do
this latter one all of the time.

Old August 8th 10, 02:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
William R. Walsh typed on Sun, 8 Aug 2010 01:09:52 -0500:
Hi!

No! Acronis True Image is the worst when it comes to external hard
drives.

Waitaminute...the OP said the drive has supports a (e)SATA connection.
Nearly every eSATA implementation out there does *not* differentiate
between internal and external devices.

True! But you were pretty generic about raving about Acronis True Image
with external drives in general. And here I disagree with you.

Maybe it won't work well on a USB or Firewire drive (though I used it
with good results when I tried)...don't know about that.

Yes USB it doesn't restore on some drives. I have three USB drives that
will and two that won't. And AFAIK there are no lists that tells you
which ones work with Acronis True Image or not. So you have to waste
your money to find out. And that is a very poor solution to the problem
IMHO. And the main purpose for external hard drives for most users is
for backups!

And I just don't understand people supporting such a product who clearly
doesn't care about protecting your backups. They even claim that
changing build numbers could break your backups. What kind of nonsense
is that? Who in their right mind would support such a product?

Old August 8th 10, 05:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 08:07:18 -0500, "BillW50" wrote:

[...]

I've read a lot of reviews and Paragon was mentioned in some. Of
course different reviews pick different software for their favorites.
I think tho Acronis is one of the more popular of recent but that
doesn't mean it's the best. As far as copying files, that's okay but
usually that doesn't work for open files typical in windows.

BTW, I noticed you said TI v12 and that caught me by surprise. Are
you sure? I will have to re-read the beta I'm using (I thought it
was v.11) and check the Acronis site too.
Old August 8th 10, 05:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 11:17:13 -0500, RnR wrote:

[...]

Let me correct myself ... my beta is TI Home 2011.
Old August 8th 10, 06:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
RnR typed on Sun, 08 Aug 2010 11:17:13 -0500:

wrote:

[...]

Both Paragon and Acronis True Image uses memory even when not running.
For example, Acronis True Image Home 2009 (v12) is using up the
following without even running it.

Acronis Scheduler 2 (scedul2.exe) 30MB
Acronis True Image Monitor (TrueImageMonitor.exe) 70MB
Monitor for Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer
(TimounterMonitor.exe 50MB
Acronis Scheduler Helper (schedhlp.exe) 34MB

Total 184MB

I think this is just nuts! There should be a way to turn this off
besides uninstalling (or using the Task Manager and killing them). True
most of us are not using 10 year old machines and we have RAM to spare.
But wasting it in this fashion I think is just nuts. Even if it ends up
in the swapfile later.

Copying locked files? No, you don't understand. BartPE or WinPE is like
a Linux Live, but it isn't Linux based. Rather it is either XP, Vista,
or Windows 7 based. So the Windows you are copying is all unlocked as
that OS isn't even running and thus all files are unlocked and you are
free to copy away. You could probably use a Linux Live CD to copy files
too, but Linux can't modify the registry like BartPE can. Nor can Linux
run Windows software either.

BartPE and WinPE uses all generic drivers. Thus they run on anything. As
same copy that runs on one computer will run on a totally different
computer. This is handy for lots of things. Usually to repair a
non-bootable Windows. Also it is good to copy files and make backups
too.