Need Dell XP Home with SP3 CD

Old July 22nd 10, 04:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
GTS-NJ

Default Need Dell XP Home with SP3 CD

I badly need a Dell XP Home with SP3 CD. Does anyone know any way to get
one? Will Dell sell one without reference to a specific computer? Any 3rd
party sources?

These are incredibly scarce because they were only used on net books around
the time Dell stopped providing media. It's a constant problem for service
needs.

Please don't bother posting advice to slip stream one. There's no known way
to do this for Dell OEM media that actually works.

Old July 22nd 10, 11:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Jul 21, 10:01*pm, "GTS-NJ" wrote:
I badly need a Dell XP Home with SP3 CD. *Does anyone know any way to get
one? *Will Dell sell one without reference to a specific computer? *Any 3rd
party sources?

These are incredibly scarce because they were only used on net books around
the time Dell stopped providing media. *It's a constant problem for service
needs.

Please don't bother posting advice to slip stream one. *There's no known way
to do this for Dell OEM media that actually works.

It can be done with freeware. nLite
Old July 22nd 10, 02:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Doug[_11_]

GTS-NJ wrote:
I badly need a Dell XP Home with SP3 CD. Does anyone know any way
to get one? Will Dell sell one without reference to a specific
computer? Any 3rd party sources?

These are incredibly scarce because they were only used on net books
around the time Dell stopped providing media. It's a constant
problem for service needs.

Please don't bother posting advice to slip stream one. There's no
known way to do this for Dell OEM media that actually works.

Despite your claim that it can't be done I'll have to disagree. I've done it
with autostreamer and it works just fine. In fact I just finished a clean
install with my slipstreamed SP3 disc (from a Dell OEM XP disc) on my old
Dimension 8200. No problems.

Old July 22nd 10, 04:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Jul 22, 6:58*am, "Doug" wrote:
GTS-NJ wrote:
I badly need a Dell XP Home with SP3 CD. *Does anyone know any way
to get one? *Will Dell sell one without reference to a specific
computer? *Any 3rd party sources?

These are incredibly scarce because they were only used on net books
around the time Dell stopped providing media. *It's a constant
problem for service needs.

Please don't bother posting advice to slip stream one. *There's no
known way to do this for Dell OEM media that actually works.

Despite your claim that it can't be done I'll have to disagree. I've done it
with autostreamer and it works just fine. In fact I just finished a clean
install with my slipstreamed SP3 disc (from a Dell OEM XP disc) on my old
Dimension 8200. No problems.

You could have said...you also disagree...but you didn't. (I just
don't get any respect! R.Dangerfield)
Old July 22nd 10, 05:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Doug wrote:
GTS-NJ wrote:
I badly need a Dell XP Home with SP3 CD. Does anyone know any way
to get one? Will Dell sell one without reference to a specific
computer? Any 3rd party sources?

These are incredibly scarce because they were only used on net books
around the time Dell stopped providing media. It's a constant
problem for service needs.

Please don't bother posting advice to slip stream one. There's no
known way to do this for Dell OEM media that actually works.

Despite your claim that it can't be done I'll have to disagree. I've done it
with autostreamer and it works just fine. In fact I just finished a clean
install with my slipstreamed SP3 disc (from a Dell OEM XP disc) on my old
Dimension 8200. No problems.

did it require activation or did it work like a dell oem windows cd?
Old July 22nd 10, 08:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Jul 22, 9:57*am, Christopher Muto wrote:
Doug wrote:
GTS-NJ wrote:
I badly need a Dell XP Home with SP3 CD. *Does anyone know any way
to get one? *Will Dell sell one without reference to a specific
computer? *Any 3rd party sources?

These are incredibly scarce because they were only used on net books
around the time Dell stopped providing media. *It's a constant
problem for service needs.

Please don't bother posting advice to slip stream one. *There's no
known way to do this for Dell OEM media that actually works.

Despite your claim that it can't be done I'll have to disagree. I've done it
with autostreamer and it works just fine. In fact I just finished a clean
install with my slipstreamed SP3 disc (from a Dell OEM XP disc) on my old
Dimension 8200. No problems.

did it require activation or did it work like a dell oem windows cd?

No activation using nLite (again, I must be invisible!)
Old July 22nd 10, 09:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Doug wrote:
GTS-NJ wrote:
I badly need a Dell XP Home with SP3 CD. Does anyone know any way
to get one? Will Dell sell one without reference to a specific
computer? Any 3rd party sources?
These are incredibly scarce because they were only used on net books
around the time Dell stopped providing media. It's a constant
problem for service needs.
Please don't bother posting advice to slip stream one. There's no
known way to do this for Dell OEM media that actually works.
Despite your claim that it can't be done I'll have to disagree. I've done it
with autostreamer and it works just fine. In fact I just finished a clean
install with my slipstreamed SP3 disc (from a Dell OEM XP disc) on my old
Dimension 8200. No problems.

did it require activation or did it work like a dell oem windows cd?

No activation using nLite (again, I must be invisible!)

cool. thanks for the info. you are not invisible, i see you. but i
don't get the what the big deal is about this issue anyway. unless you
are installing machines from scratch all the time why not just let
windows update do its thing... six of one or a half dozen of the other...
Old July 22nd 10, 09:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

Doug wrote:
GTS-NJ wrote:
[...]

In my case I had to add the serial drivers (no floppy) to a notebook
(1545) so the rest of Windows could load.
Then, adding SP3 is just a bonus
Old July 23rd 10, 09:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Please don't bother posting advice to slip stream one. There's no known
way to do this for Dell OEM media that actually works.

Then you're not doing it right or your source of information is wrong. I
have slipstreamed SP3 to Dell discs for Windows XP Professional and Home
versions. It worked every time, no problems that I could see. They were
originally SP1 discs, but I'd not expect discs for SP2 to be much--if
any--different for the slipstreaming process.

William