Epson Photo 1290 and paper types

Old August 27th 03, 01:18 PM
Ian

Default Epson Photo 1290 and paper types

I've just bought an Epson Photo 1290 printer. But I'm getting frustrated
by the varying results I get from different Epson photo papers. While I
get good bright images on Epson heavyweight matte and photo papers, on
Premium Glossy photo paper the same image becomes too dark and
contrasty. In all cases I follow the procedures outlined at
http://www.computer-darkroom.com. I usually use the 'Epson 1290' colour
profile and ICM setting in the driver. I've tried the media specific
profiles from Epson with similar results.

Do other people have these issues? Would it make sense to use (say) the
'heavyweight matte' setting with 'Premium Glossy' photo paper? Or is it
a fact of life that images still need to be 'tweaked' manually get
acceptable prints?

Old August 27th 03, 04:24 PM
bmoag

With my 1280 I have found different settings in the printer driver for
different paper settings that work best for me. You sort of have to make
test strips with different settings until you find a combination that works
reasonably consistently for you with a given paper type. Even so you may
have to fiddle and make a few attempts with some images until you get what
you like. It's no different than it would be in a wet darkroom except that
it is easier to get at least a decent print on the first try.

Old September 16th 03, 08:48 PM
David Hurwitz

Try using Photo Paper instead of Premium Glossy. If this doesn't
work, use Printer Color Management and lighten the image in the
advanced setting. I have not had good look with Epson profiles and
end up using Printer management and tweaking the driver or image.
With other papers, such as Legion, turning off the printer color
management and using profiles works great. BTW, I'm using an Epson
785 which has a similar engine to the 1200 series so I think my
remarks apply.

Old September 16th 03, 10:01 PM
Safetymom123

Have you tried leaving all the settings on the printer on automatic? Except
for setting the resolution? I get beautiful prints this way.

Old September 16th 03, 10:33 PM
David Hurwitz

If I do that I get a slight red shift with most papers. Maybe my
monitor is off but I have to dial in +7 cyan to get rid of the
redness. With Legion papers and the right Legion profile, I can turn
the printer color management off and get great results. Now I am
mostly a film user and scan my slides and negs with a Nikon scanner so
that might be causing some of the problem.

"Safetymom123" wrote:

Have you tried leaving all the settings on the printer on automatic? Except
for setting the resolution? I get beautiful prints this way.

.. .

Old September 16th 03, 11:40 PM
Safetymom123

I would suggest calibrating all your equipment. That way you could
eliminate some things that could be causing the problem.

Old September 17th 03, 12:15 PM
Safetymom123

Oh well.

"Malev" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:40:02 GMT, "Safetymom123"
wrote:

I would suggest

Sorry mate, I am just too tired of your top posts.

plonk.

Old September 23rd 03, 04:26 PM
Marguerite Smith

.....and I don't read a lot of 'bottom' posts....can't get used to looking
under everything some people leave to be plowed through before the help
comes through...............

"Safetymom123" wrote in message
m...
Oh well.