WD Passport WD1600U017-005

Old February 10th 08, 03:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
bblr

Default WD Passport WD1600U017-005

I have a WD 160GB Passport that may have died. When I plug it in I can
feel the drive spinning and the little green arrow shows up in the lower
right hand corner to "safely remove hardware" , however the drive letter
does not show up in the my comuter file. If I right-click on my
computer, it locks things up, but if I disconnect the WD Passport, then
the right-click works properly. If I right-click on my computer and
click device manager with the WD Passport plugged in, it once again
locks up the computer. Now if I open the device manager without the WD
Passport plugged in, click on disk drives, only the main hard drive
appears. But if I now plug in the WD Passport, it does show up under
disk drives, and if I click on the WD drive, it tells me that the device
is working properly. I did back up my data about a month ago, but if
possible would like to retrieve as much as I can. I will try the bag
and freezer trick as a last resort. Please help if you can. Hopefully
my drive is not totally dead. Thanks

Old February 10th 08, 07:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

bblr wrote:
[...]

The USB stack can get rather screwed. See what happens on a different PC if you can.

Old February 12th 08, 08:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
bblr[_2_]

I've tried it on 4 different computers. All do the same thing.

Old February 13th 08, 05:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

bblr wrote:

I've tried it on 4 different computers. All do the same thing.

If you want to get the data off it, it would be worth trying the
drive in a different enclosure, but that will void the warranty.

Old February 16th 08, 08:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
bblr[_3_]

Thanks. I will try that. Nothing to lose at this point.