How things have progressed

Old April 11th 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Default How things have progressed

I am going through boxes and boxes of my father's papers. I found an
invoice dated 9/19/1990 -- not that long ago and 9 years after the PC was
introduced.

2Mb memory module for an IBM PS/2 Model 70 (yes, Dad was suckered by IBM).

$193.

2MB (not GB, MB).

Wow.

Old April 11th 07, 03:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
budgie

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:02:22 -0400, "Tom Scales" wrote:

I am going through boxes and boxes of my father's papers. I found an
invoice dated 9/19/1990 -- not that long ago and 9 years after the PC was
introduced.

2Mb memory module for an IBM PS/2 Model 70 (yes, Dad was suckered by IBM).

$193.

2MB (not GB, MB).

I once paid $A720 for a 120MB hard drive.

I had some brochures here that I found during a cleanout, with a 386DX
motherboard for $A1700. (ATM $A1 ~=$US0.82)

The leading edge has certainly moved a bit.
Old April 11th 07, 03:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Geoff

wrote:

I am going through boxes and boxes of my father's papers. I found an
invoice dated 9/19/1990 -- not that long ago and 9 years after the PC was
introduced.

2Mb memory module for an IBM PS/2 Model 70 (yes, Dad was suckered by IBM).

$193.

2MB (not GB, MB).

I once paid $A720 for a 120MB hard drive.

I had some brochures here that I found during a cleanout, with a 386DX
motherboard for $A1700. (ATM $A1 ~=$US0.82)

The leading edge has certainly moved a bit.

they don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing

Old April 11th 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
HDRDTD

Somewhere I still have the original reciept for the genuine IBM AT (the
'enhanced' version) I bought in 84-85 for close to $7,000.00

6Mhz, 30MB HD, EGA graphics and monitor, 5 1/4 and 3 1/2" floppies, math
co-processor, Intel Above Board (memory add-in card with 1.5meg ram on it).

Every PC I've bought over the yaers since then has cost less and was faster
than the one it replaced.

The last new system was a XPS410 that cost $1400 without monitor.

Old April 11th 07, 05:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kevin M.

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
I am going through boxes and boxes of my father's papers. I found an
invoice dated 9/19/1990 -- not that long ago and 9 years after the PC was
introduced.

2Mb memory module for an IBM PS/2 Model 70 (yes, Dad was suckered by IBM).

$193.

2MB (not GB, MB).

Wow.

I remember the 1 gb hard drives hitting the stores. I thought I was a big
shot when I bought a 1 gb. I can't remember how much I paid. Probably don't
want to remember

Old April 11th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

I am going through boxes and boxes of my father's papers. I found an
invoice dated 9/19/1990 -- not that long ago and 9 years after the PC was
introduced.

2Mb memory module for an IBM PS/2 Model 70 (yes, Dad was suckered by IBM).

$193.

2MB (not GB, MB).

Wow.

Around '95 I paid over $400 for a memory upgrade. I don't know how
much I upgraded to, but the end result was 128M or lower.

The "sweet spot" for PCs and laptops used to be $2,500. That has
decreased quite a bit too.

Old April 11th 07, 11:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe

One of my clients used to work for IBM as a manager who was responsible for
major installations of IBM mainframes way back in the '60s and '70s- he
claims back then if you were a large corporation, you could buy a suitcase
size modem that could move 300 bits per second and it only cost- something
like $50,000!

Old April 12th 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Well I hope my life expectancy is pretty good. The PC was introduced when
I was a junior in college.

2 small things Borrox General 2 July 3rd 05 10:28 PM
Anyone ordered from "We Have Things"? Liddle Feesh UK Computer Vendors 8 June 15th 05 10:58 PM
Bad things CAN happen Rick Wilcox Abit Motherboards 4 March 30th 05 01:28 PM
What are the things to look out for when choosing a new lap top? mich General Hardware 4 June 10th 04 07:04 PM
Various things about the Mac 512K James Laird zWaRd General Hardware 0 November 3rd 03 02:07 AM