Getting a large screen(55 to 60 inch) monitor

Old June 26th 13, 06:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk
G. Morgan[_2_]

Default Getting a large screen(55 to 60 inch) monitor

Evan Platt wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:10:36 -0500, G. Morgan
wrote:

Evan Platt wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 18:37:45 -0400, richard
wrote:

well dude, I just set up my 55" RCA I got from walmart for half the price.
awesome.

What 55" RCA did you get from Walmart for $500?

From the OP: "Budget is 2K."

Err... Huh?

The OP's budget is $2000, half of that is $1000 - not $500.

--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
Old June 26th 13, 11:17 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware
whistleblower whereabouts

"Evan Platt" wrote in message

Well I was assuming richard meant the op's link to a amazon listing
for a $1062 TV. - Half of which would be $1000.

----------------------------

LOL Math is not your strong suit,now is it?

Old June 26th 13, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Bucky Breeder[_4_]

G. Morgan practiced for the SATs thusly :

wrote:

well dude, I just set up my 55" RCA I got from walmart
for half the price. awesome.

What 55" RCA did you get from Walmart for $500?

From the OP: "Budget is 2K."

I got my 60" LG from Walmart for $199.95.

It was on the pallet in the middle of the aisle in front of
the Electronics department. They had quite a few left, if
anyone is interested.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
and For All You Ladies (FATL :

(But... my real name is NOT "Maurice".)
Old July 15th 13, 01:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On 6/24/2013 10:02 PM, Paul wrote:
t wrote:
The usage will be for training staff via MS-PowerPoint presentations,
spreadsheets and MS-Word documents. It has to be TV capable so that a
cable connection from Comcast will allow viewing news from Comcast as
well as ability to connect to the Internet. It also should be able to
connect to a computer/laptop for the training sessions. Panel type can
be IPS(In-Plane Switching), backlit can be white, refresh rate can be
60Hz, and 1920 X 1080 resolution should be fine for our needs(training
seminars and watching news via cable TV or browsing the Web). Budget
is 2K.

1. Would monitors from common brands(LG, Samsung, Sony etc.) suffice
for our needs?

2. Will a product like LG Electronics 55LN5700 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz
LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV
http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics...dp/B00BB9OPUA/
do for our need?

Or, a model like
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL60EX64...dp/B008XG1N7M/

Sony KDL60EX645 60-Inch 1080p 120HZ Internet Slim LED HDTV (Black)
would be OK?

3. What are other factors I need to consider?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You should take a look through a forum like this one.
They will review and comment on, a lot of this sort of stuff.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1132659/th...nch-pc-monitor

*******

If the viewing angle of the display is not stated, it's probably an LCD
using
a TN panel. IPS has around a 178 degree viewing angle (where 180 degrees is
"perfect"). TN is less than that, maybe 160 degrees. And generally, the
vertical viewing angle is pretty bad (as you move your head up and down,
the color changes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display

The main advantage of IPS is viewing angle. In a classroom setting,
it would allow students on the left and right, in the first row,
to see the same colors on the screen, as the other students are
seeing. With TN, it's possible the students would need to move
to the seats in the middle of the classroom.

The problem is, I don't know if they make large panel IPS.
It might stop with computer monitors, for all I know. And IPS
pixels are slow to respond. TN less so. But IPS might be
preferred for Photoshop work.

*******

You can get manuals.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55LW5700#

There is a manual and a spec sheet. It supports native 1920x1080 @ 60Hz
for the PC.
("RGB (PC), HDMI (PC) supported mode"). The RGB appears to be
related to a VGA connector on the back. (They don't seem to be
able to mention VGA in polite company for some reason.)

http://www.lg.com/lgecs.downloadFile....pdf&TC=DwnCmd

http://www.lg.com/us/products/docume...700%20Spec.pdf

*******

Richard may have been joking when he mentioned the Walmart, but
there's nothing like seeing the unit in person before purchase.
I have one home theater store in town, which has a few display
rooms with gear setup in them. In there, perhaps you can look
at the viewing angle issue, and see what you think. If there is a
TN panel based unit on display, you can walk from left to right,
and see what the students will be seeing. My home theater store
would likely have Plasma displays set up.

Also, a pet peeve about this stuff, is any store you visit,
will *always* put video on the screen. Never text. Seeing
text on the screen (like an MS Word document), shows all the
defects in the display, and is the real test. Any ole piece
of crap can display video, because the human eye is so
forgiving. Once you see text on the screen, you'll "run out
the door". (If you're desperate to review this aspect,
take a laptop and an HDMI cable with you, and ask for a
"PC mode" demo. That way, you'll be able to do dual screen
and put up text. Because otherwise, the unhelpful sales
people will pretend they have no means to put text on the
screen for comparison.)

Since the unit above (the one I checked the manuals on),
has a 1920x1080 display and supports 1920x1080 mode on
PC input, at least you won't get a fuzzy PC display due to
scaling. Earlier units, for some reason, would not
provide a 1:1 mode on PC input. They do now, and it's
something you can check for. On older units, the panel
might be 1366, and the PC input would stop at 1280,
which looked awful.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I appreciate the advice.

P.S. I posted this message weeks ago, but it did not appear before so
re-posting it.