Athalon 64 Newbie Question

Old December 2nd 04, 03:36 AM
Sachmo

Default Athalon 64 Newbie Question

I considering building a new system using the athalon 64 cpu..The
question I have is can you use XP home edition or do you need to use XP
pro? When formating the drive can you still use the 32 bit format or is
it better to use the NTFS format? I have a 30 gig drive and a 120 gig
drive now using XP home and have them formatted in 32 bit ..I don't like
a lot of partitions on the drives..I formatted the drives using Windows
98se and recently switched to XP home...I'm considering the upgrade to
the Athalon 64 soon and would like some advice
Old December 3rd 04, 09:12 AM
Tod

Win XP Home will run fine on an AMD 64.
You can still use 32bit (FAT32 you mean) formatting
But NTFS is a better formatting system.
Did you wipe the hard drive and use a full version of Win XP home
or is your copy of Win XP home the upgrade version ?

I believe Win XP comes with the ability to change your
formatting from FAT32 to NTFS, without having to reload everything.

Which is the boot drive the 30 or 120 ?

news

Old December 5th 04, 01:14 AM
John R Weiss

"Sachmo" wrote...
The question I have is can you use XP home edition or do you need to use XP
pro? When formating the drive can you still use the 32 bit format or is it
better to use the NTFS format? I have a 30 gig drive and a 120 gig drive now
using XP home and have them formatted in 32 bit ..

XP Home will work fine. FAT32 will work fine. However, NTFS is more secure if
your system is networked.