Dimension 8400 - is there a max HDD size?

Old February 23rd 10, 07:27 PM
redkid333 redkid333 is offline
Junior Member

Question Dimension 8400 - is there a max HDD size?

I was putting a new WD Green 1.5TB SATA HDD in a Dell Dimension 8400. It is the third HDD. HD does not show up in Comp Mngmnt/Disk Mngmnt. I put the second one in w/o a problem. Original is a 160mb, 2nd was a 640mb.
I cycled power but nothing. This was an OEM drive.
Is there a limit on the size I can install? Is this just a matter of me setting a jumper or whatever? Confused...
Thanks for your input. Jay H.
Old February 23rd 10, 10:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Default Dimension 8400 - is there a max HDD size?

redkid333 wrote:
I was putting a new WD Green 1.5TB SATA HDD in a Dell Dimension 8400.
It is the third HDD. HD does not show up in Comp Mngmnt/Disk Mngmnt.
I put the second one in w/o a problem. Original is a 160mb, 2nd was a
640mb.
I cycled power but nothing. This was an OEM drive.
Is there a limit on the size I can install? Is this just a matter of
me setting a jumper or whatever? Confused...
Thanks for your input. Jay H.

you must enter the bios and enable the sata port that you are using to
connenct the drive.
Old February 24th 10, 12:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:32 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Dimension 8400 - is there a max HDD size?
Subject: Dimension 8400 - is there a max HDD size?

redkid333 wrote:
I was putting a new WD Green 1.5TB SATA HDD in a Dell Dimension

8400.
It is the third HDD. HD does not show up in Comp Mngmnt/Disk

Mngmnt.
I put the second one in w/o a problem. Original is a 160mb, 2nd was

640mb.
I cycled power but nothing. This was an OEM drive.
Is there a limit on the size I can install? Is this just a matter

of
me setting a jumper or whatever? Confused...
Thanks for your input. Jay H.

you must enter the bios and enable the sata port that you are using to
connenct the drive.

While that is true, the 8400 would still support it in PIO mode even if
it is turned off.

Did you go into Computer Management and create a partition and format
it? Won't show up until you do.

So, turn it on in the bios, then create a partition.

There is no size limit past 137GB.

Old February 24th 10, 02:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

I was putting a new WD Green 1.5TB SATA HDD in a Dell Dimension
8400. It is the third HDD. *HD does not show up in Comp Mngmnt/
Disk Mngmnt.

Doesn't sound so good for the drive. Check your BIOS settings and make
sure you've enabled the drive. Also make sure it's spinning up when
you power the system on.

Is there a limit on the size I can install?

I'm not aware of any size limit on either the Dim8300 or 8400, but I
have never used a drive that large either.

*Is this just a matter of me setting a jumper or whatever?

The Dim8400 should not require any jumpers to bet on the drive,
although you can always try forcing the drive into the 1.5 gigabit
SATA mode to see if it makes a difference. It certainly wouldn't hurt
anything.

A Dim8400 is based on the Intel 925X chipset and ICH6. The ICH6 only
supports 1.5 gigabit SATA link speed, but it should automatically
negotiate that with the drive.

William