Intel Quad Core Caters to PC Gamers

Old November 29th 06, 08:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
chrisv

Default Intel Quad Core Caters to PC Gamers

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6395573.html

Funny that Intel's demo system used but a single Nvidia card - their
mobo does not support Nvidia in SLI mode, but DOES support ATI in SLI
mode. I wonder why they chose Nvidia? 8)

Old November 29th 06, 08:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Neil Barras

I wonder why they chose Nvidia? 8)

Maybe because AMD own ATI?

Old November 29th 06, 11:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
DaveW

Because AMD bought ATI. ATI is now the enemy to Intel. So Intel uses
Nvidia boards.

DaveW

----------------

Old November 30th 06, 04:42 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Tony Hill

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:17:27 -0600, chrisv
wrote:

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6395573.html

Funny that Intel's demo system used but a single Nvidia card - their
mobo does not support Nvidia in SLI mode, but DOES support ATI in SLI
mode. I wonder why they chose Nvidia? 8)

Actually, despite what you might intially think, it probably doens't
have too much to do with AMD and ATI being one and the same now.

What's much more likely is that they just went for the higher
performance video setup they could get, and right now nVidia is
beating the pants off ATI. A single GeForce 8800 can match or beat
the performance of two top-of-the-line ATI cards.
--
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old November 30th 06, 05:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan

chrisv wrote:
http://www.edn.com/article/CA6395573.html

Funny that Intel's demo system used but a single Nvidia card - their
mobo does not support Nvidia in SLI mode, but DOES support ATI in SLI
mode. I wonder why they chose Nvidia? 8)

And Nvidia is charging upto $120 for an SLI chipset for Intel. I've
bought motherboards for less than half of that! It doesn't charge that
much for AMD chipsets.

Yousuf Khan
Old November 30th 06, 05:27 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
George Macdonald

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:17:27 -0600, chrisv wrote:

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6395573.html

Funny that Intel's demo system used but a single Nvidia card - their
mobo does not support Nvidia in SLI mode, but DOES support ATI in SLI
mode. I wonder why they chose Nvidia? 8)

Just further proof, if we needed it, that Intel's is a hate-based
culture... with a dusting of bi-polar disorder.... sickos!

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old November 30th 06, 10:11 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
James Boswell

"chrisv" wrote in message

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6395573.html

Funny that Intel's demo system used but a single Nvidia card - their
mobo does not support Nvidia in SLI mode, but DOES support ATI in SLI
mode. I wonder why they chose Nvidia? 8)

Because a single Geforce 8800GTX is a match for a pair of X1950XTX's in
Crossfire...

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...ion-hdr-aa.gif

-JB

Old November 30th 06, 03:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
chrisv

wrote:

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6395573.html

Funny that Intel's demo system used but a single Nvidia card - their
mobo does not support Nvidia in SLI mode, but DOES support ATI in SLI
mode. I wonder why they chose Nvidia? 8)

Actually, despite what you might intially think, it probably doens't
have too much to do with AMD and ATI being one and the same now.

What's much more likely is that they just went for the higher
performance video setup they could get, and right now nVidia is
beating the pants off ATI. A single GeForce 8800 can match or beat
the performance of two top-of-the-line ATI cards.

Hmm... I guess I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I shouldn't be so
cynical, eh? 8)

Still, from what I've read, a high-end Conroe would probably keep-up
with any video card on the planet, no quad-core needed...

Old December 1st 06, 04:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan

chrisv wrote:
Still, from what I've read, a high-end Conroe would probably keep-up
with any video card on the planet, no quad-core needed...

Depends on the resolution. As soon as the FPS remains the same no matter
what detail level you've set on the game, then you've reached CPU
limits. Those do exist on Conroe too.

Yousuf Khan
Old December 1st 06, 11:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
George Macdonald

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:36:53 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:

chrisv wrote:
Still, from what I've read, a high-end Conroe would probably keep-up
with any video card on the planet, no quad-core needed...

Depends on the resolution. As soon as the FPS remains the same no matter
what detail level you've set on the game, then you've reached CPU
limits. Those do exist on Conroe too.

Don't you mean CPU "contribution" limit? IOW what you've really reached is
the GPU limit - i.e. it doesn't matter how much faster the CPU can deliver
its info, the GPU is pegged. Interestingly that point seems to have moved
up dramatically fairly recently. I'm not a gamer so only look at such
benchmarks occasionally but I notice that the gamer benchmarks no longer
even bother with 640x480 as a CPU comparison point. At high detail, the
resolution point where the CPU performance quits "contributing" is now
somewhere around 1600x1200... with exceptions of course.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

duo core or quad Adam Russell General 8 November 21st 06 05:36 AM
Whivh is best Asus mobo for core 2 duo? atlantica Overclocking 6 September 23rd 06 08:43 AM
Which Notebook to buy? Intel Centrino, Core DUO, Core Duo 2, AMD Turion, Single Core [email protected] General 4 August 31st 06 02:11 AM
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Preview from Taiwan Yousuf Khan General 20 June 12th 06 06:12 PM
Experts opinion needed! (Intel Dual core // Asus mainboard) dryphone Homebuilt PC's 3 June 1st 06 02:46 PM