Core 2 Duo Processor

Old September 2nd 06, 02:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Craig

Default Core 2 Duo Processor

I'm looking at dells website and wanted to know which of the two
processors would be faster.

Intel Core Duo Proc T2400 (1.83ghz/667mhz/2 x 1mb L2 Cache) - $150

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5500 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB) -
$100

Dell indicates that the Core 2 is up to 30+% faster so I'm assuming the
Core 2 is faster but going by the price it looks like it might be
slower. Also would the Core 2 Duo run Hotter temperature wise.

Thanks,
Craig

Old September 2nd 06, 04:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Lake

"Craig" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking at dells website and wanted to know which of the two
processors would be faster.

Intel Core Duo Proc T2400 (1.83ghz/667mhz/2 x 1mb L2 Cache) - $150

Intel® CoreT 2 Duo processor T5500 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB) -
$100

Dell indicates that the Core 2 is up to 30+% faster so I'm assuming the
Core 2 is faster but going by the price it looks like it might be
slower. Also would the Core 2 Duo run Hotter temperature wise.

The Core 2 Duo runs cooler than the Core Duo and the 2MB cache makes up for
the difference in clock speed over the 1MB in the Core Duo. I'd go with the
Core 2 Duo.

Tom Lake

Old September 2nd 06, 04:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

"Tom Lake" wrote:

I'd go with the
Core 2 Duo.

read this and give me your opinion ok?

http://tinyurl.com/f2xll
Old September 2nd 06, 05:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fathergoose

wrote in message
"Tom Lake" wrote:

I'd go with the
Core 2 Duo.

read this and give me your opinion ok?

http://tinyurl.com/f2xll

======================
I read the article but from other things I've read and the fact of what Tom
said like;
-------quote-------
"The Core 2 Duo runs cooler than the Core Duo and the 2MB cache makes up for
the difference in clock speed over the 1MB in the Core Duo. I'd go with the
Core 2 Duo"
------end quote----
The link you gave played things down but I have seen more that say Tom is
right.

I recently ordered E1505 with the T7200 (4MB 2GHz)

Especially get the Core 2 Duo, if pricing is the same (or near), it would
seem a no brainier, EH ?

Or wait and watch and get the fire sale on the Core Duo when and IF they put
them on sale, because if you ask me the marketing folks will be shrewd and
not have to put them on fire sales...my 2 cents...

fathergoose

Old September 2nd 06, 09:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

"Fathergoose" wrote:

Or wait and watch and get the fire sale on the Core Duo when and IF they put
them on sale, because if you ask me the marketing folks will be shrewd and
not have to put them on fire sales...my 2 cents...

That was gonna be my strategy... buy a core duo when
they go on fire sale

but as you say that may not happen
Old September 2nd 06, 10:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Lake

wrote in message
"Fathergoose" wrote:

Or wait and watch and get the fire sale on the Core Duo when and IF they
put
them on sale, because if you ask me the marketing folks will be shrewd and
not have to put them on fire sales...my 2 cents...

That was gonna be my strategy... buy a core duo when
they go on fire sale

but as you say that may not happen

Right. If you buy a laptop, the batteries may go on fire sale, though!

8^)

Tom Lake

Old September 3rd 06, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fathergoose

"Notan" wrote in message

"Fathergoose" wrote:

Or wait and watch and get the fire sale on the Core Duo when and IF they
put
them on sale, because if you ask me the marketing folks will be shrewd
and
not have to put them on fire sales...my 2 cents...

That was gonna be my strategy... buy a core duo when
they go on fire sale

but as you say that may not happen

What system(s) do you currently own?

Notan

===========================
Well, I own and, or have around and try to keep going;
DELL XPS Dimension D266 (walk down memory lane, LOL)
DELL Dimension 4100 PIII 1GHz
I8000 laptop

I am purchasing another laptop for my daughter, well I simply configured it
for her as she is paying for it I am just her tech. support and up-grader
help...grinsShe is in graduate school and needs to replace her I8000.
She spilled coffee on her keyboard and after I had replaced it twice for her
she wants a new one since she now got a student loan to pay for it.
9/1 We ordered;
DELL E1505 C2D 2GHz,
ATI X1400
100GB 7200 HD
8XDVD+/-RW
9cell battery
etc.
This was for her and now I am starting to think about getting me a laptop
too.

My son used some of his $$ and wanted an awesome ultimate gaming computer so
he bought an ALIENWARE and boy O' boy is that some story to tell.
He has owned it a little over a year and recently they replaced it for him
to get him a reliable working system, if that clues you in on what kind of
story it is!

Am I telling you more than you need to know?

fathergoose