Why has my idle temp jumped 10 degrees in a week

Old August 21st 03, 07:42 AM
Muppet Pasta

Default Why has my idle temp jumped 10 degrees in a week

hi,

One week ago my cpu idle temp was around 42 degrees C. This week it
has jumped to 52 degrees, while the case temp has remained at a
constant 35 degrees.

A week ago it only got to 52 dC under heavy load!

Why would this happen? The HSF is still on solidly & is running at the
same fan speed as when i bought it 18 months ago.

Is it possible the CPU is defective
Old August 21st 03, 08:16 AM
Muppet Pasta

Did you remove the heat-sink and re-seat it?
Perhaps the ceramic compound that came with the heat-sink, has decided to
flake away?.

i just recently bought a new case with more fans & removed the HSF,
cleaned it & reapplied artic silver... since it has run around 42 dC
but all of a sudden has jumped 10 degrees
Old August 21st 03, 10:14 AM
JOE

after cleaning fan a drop of 3 and1 machine oil would be good.
"Muppet Pasta" wrote in message
s.com...
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:21:58 GMT, Lee
wrote:

Hi

My P3 1ghz was 60c - 63c idle at one point, i removed the hsf cleaned the
base rubbed thermal compound onto base to get rid of cracks/gaps

reapplied
thermal compound to processor core but back together now my temps are
reporting around 50 - 53c idle :-) got a 10 degree c drop in temp by just
cleaning the hsf and reapplying thermal compound.

i did this recently. i was thinking that maybe i should lightly sand
the bottom of the HS smooth. ??

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 06:42:38 GMT, Muppet Pasta

put
his keys in ignition and wrote:

||hi,
||One week ago my cpu idle temp was around 42 degrees C. This week it
||has jumped to 52 degrees, while the case temp has remained at a
||constant 35 degrees.
||A week ago it only got to 52 dC under heavy load!
||Why would this happen? The HSF is still on solidly & is running at the
||same fan speed as when i bought it 18 months ago.
||Is it possible the CPU is defective

---
Lee.

Old August 21st 03, 10:41 AM
Damianin

maybe CPU core voltage is not correct and is variable?

Old August 22nd 03, 07:14 AM
Chris Willetts

Have you recently update the bios. Did mine and my cpu temp went up by 5c.
"Damianin" wrote in message
maybe CPU core voltage is not correct and is variable?

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
Guys please post me some IDLE and LOAD temp of the P4-2.8C Northwood. Bronney Hui Overclocking 5 September 8th 04 10:35 AM
athlon XP temperature kamik General 2 April 29th 04 11:58 PM
GA 7N400-PRO...new bios NewB Overclocking AMD Processors 5 August 19th 03 09:06 AM
i hate to ask a temp question, but...! muppet pasta Overclocking AMD Processors 17 July 17th 03 12:12 PM