Which Notebook to buy? Intel Centrino, Core DUO, Core Duo 2, AMD Turion, Single Core

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 30th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Which Notebook to buy? Intel Centrino, Core DUO, Core Duo 2, AMD Turion, Single Core

My daughter is bugging me for a laptop. She has some money saved and I
will help with the rest. Basically all she needs it for is high school,
word processing, uploading pictures from her camera, listening to
music, play DVD,s..There will be minimal game playing and if there are
they will probably be web based or small java applets.

Budget is about $800 excluding taxes and warranty protection plan.

I may be wrong but I am urging her at the time of this posting to wait
a few weeks as perhaps prices of laptops will drop when Core Duo 2 hit
the shelves.....I may be wrong but I am trying to buy some more time.

My thoughts on a notebook processor are the following (assuming 512mb
of memory to start, 80gb hard drive, 14/15 inch screen):

Core Duo 2 - Probably not affordable for us at this time.

**Core Duo-would be a good choice I think if I can find the right price
point
**Centrino Single Core-probably a good choice
**AMD Turion 64 ML-3x series seem decent (cannot afford X2 model of
AMD)

-Pentium M, Centrino-No- there is a notebook price I should not pass on
-AMD-Sempron-no
-Celeron-No

Thanks for keeping me straight on this, any recommendations and if I am
sound in my judgment to wait a few weeks as stores get rid of
discontinued/obsolete equipment (as Best Buy told me)....hoping for
newer units and better prices. Of course I realize everything is
obsolete once purchased but I am not willing to wait for Santa Rosa to
come out.

Sincerely
Patty

Intel--Nvidia merger or acqusition. unlikely, but possible ? AirRaid Nvidia Videocards 66 August 3rd 06 01:09 PM
Intel--Nvidia merger or acqusition. unlikely, but possible ? AirRaid Ati Videocards 66 August 3rd 06 01:09 PM
"Pentium 4" brandname ready to be dropped Yousuf Khan General 69 November 5th 04 12:51 AM
Intel Commander Intel 0 October 30th 03 07:05 PM
Best bang for buck CPU? Shawk Homebuilt PC's 9 October 5th 03 07:24 PM