Intel Inside no more

Old December 30th 05, 04:27 AM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Default Intel Inside no more

The new phrase is "Leap Ahead".

Inside Intel
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...2/b3966001.htm

Eric Kim is proposing getting rid of the Pentium name, and getting rid
of the "Intel Inside" tagline, replaced with the "Leap Ahead".

The reason? Kim's plan, cooked up with new CEO Paul S. Otellini, was a sharp departure from the company Grove had built. Essentially, they were proposing to blow up Intel's brand, the fifth-best-known in the world. As Otellini looked on from a front table, Kim declared that Intel must "clear out the cobwebs" and kill off many Grove-era creations. Intel Inside? Dump it, he said. The Pentium brand? Stale. The widely recognized dropped "e" in Intel's corporate logo? A relic.

Intel is also becoming a more humane place apparently.

Intel's culture is changing, too. Under the charismatic Grove, who was CEO from 1987 to 1998 and then chairman until 2005, the company was a rough-and-tumble place. Grove's motto was "Only the paranoid survive," and managers frequently engaged in "constructive confrontation," which any outsider would call shouting. Engineers ruled the roost. Grove and Barrett also instituted the practice of doling out cash to PC makers for joint advertising, which Intel rivals have alleged blocks them from some markets.

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 30th 05, 03:46 PM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:27:13 -0500, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

The new phrase is "Leap Ahead".

A tacit recognition of being left behind? Under Andy Grove, there was
no need for INTC to "leap ahead" of anyone, IIRC.
;P

Inside Intel
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...2/b3966001.htm

Eric Kim is proposing getting rid of the Pentium name, and getting rid
of the "Intel Inside" tagline, replaced with the "Leap Ahead".

Remember the thread "Question about 'intel inside warnintg(sic - NNN)'
on PC"? Even though the OP used the greeting "High" and the sig "Sue
Meht" most likely ment "use meth", it was really good laugh
;-))))))))

The reason? Kim's plan, cooked up with new CEO Paul S. Otellini, was a sharp departure from the company Grove had built. Essentially, they were proposing to blow up Intel's brand, the fifth-best-known in the world. As Otellini looked on from a front table, Kim declared that Intel must "clear out the cobwebs" and kill off many Grove-era creations. Intel Inside? Dump it, he said. The Pentium brand? Stale. The widely recognized dropped "e" in Intel's corporate logo? A relic.

Yes, "Pentium" became associated with "loser" ever since K8 was out.
Ditto Xeon and especially Itanic.

Intel is also becoming a more humane place apparently.

Intel's culture is changing, too. Under the charismatic Grove, who was CEO from 1987 to 1998 and then chairman until 2005, the company was a rough-and-tumble place. Grove's motto was "Only the paranoid survive," and managers frequently engaged in "constructive confrontation," which any outsider would call shouting. Engineers ruled the roost. Grove and Barrett also instituted the practice of doling out cash to PC makers for joint advertising, which Intel rivals have alleged blocks them from some markets.

Let's see if the marketeers will succeed where the engineers failed
(or were not let to succeed, which is basically the same).

NNN
Old December 30th 05, 04:22 PM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

wrote:

The new phrase is "Leap Ahead".

A tacit recognition of being left behind? Under Andy Grove, there was
no need for INTC to "leap ahead" of anyone, IIRC.
;P

These days, every little marketing phrase change or change in wording
seems to be something that can be used against them. Damned if you do,
damned if you don't. :-)

It wouldn't be such a problem if Intel wasn't such a laughing stock
these days.

Eric Kim is proposing getting rid of the Pentium name, and getting rid
of the "Intel Inside" tagline, replaced with the "Leap Ahead".

Remember the thread "Question about 'intel inside warnintg(sic - NNN)'
on PC"? Even though the OP used the greeting "High" and the sig "Sue
Meht" most likely ment "use meth", it was really good laugh
;-))))))))

Again, everything can be used as a joke against them these days. An
Intel manager can't say a thing these days without somebody turning it
around and making it joke. Or sometimes even turning it into an
admission of guilt of something. :-)

Intel is also becoming a more humane place apparently.

Intel's culture is changing, too. Under the charismatic Grove, who was CEO from 1987 to 1998 and then chairman until 2005, the company was a rough-and-tumble place. Grove's motto was "Only the paranoid survive," and managers frequently engaged in "constructive confrontation," which any outsider would call shouting. Engineers ruled the roost. Grove and Barrett also instituted the practice of doling out cash to PC makers for joint advertising, which Intel rivals have alleged blocks them from some markets.

Let's see if the marketeers will succeed where the engineers failed
(or were not let to succeed, which is basically the same).

Going to the "admission of guilt" side of the conspiracy theory, the
"Intel Inside" campaign was associated with illegal co-marketing dollars
and monopolistic stifling of competition. With the lawsuit, it must be
pretty obvious to Intel by now that those days are over, and it's time
to come up with something new before it's taken away from them by force.
If after a guilty verdict, Intel will likely be asked to stop the
campaign, but now it can simply say "way ahead of you, we've already
reformed, the campaign is already gone." This is possibly a face-saving
gesture.

Yousuf Khan

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 1st 06, 04:12 AM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:22:44 -0500, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

Going to the "admission of guilt" side of the conspiracy theory, the
"Intel Inside" campaign was associated with illegal co-marketing dollars
and monopolistic stifling of competition. With the lawsuit, it must be
pretty obvious to Intel by now that those days are over, and it's time
to come up with something new before it's taken away from them by force.
If after a guilty verdict, Intel will likely be asked to stop the
campaign, but now it can simply say "way ahead of you, we've already
reformed, the campaign is already gone." This is possibly a face-saving
gesture.

Been to the gym - the only place where I watch unadulterated TV with
all the ads. Is it a sign of the new era? - I watched an ad for a
midrange Dell system ($599 IIRC) that didn't even mention Intel by
name, and didn't show "Intel inside" logo in the end accompanied with
the jingle (not sure about the jingle - the sound was off).
The ads for $299 lowest end Dell OTOH proudly presented Celeron
"Intel inside" logo (and probably the jingle as well). Ditto HP ads
for some laptop - ended with full screen Centrino butterfly.

NNN

P.S. Happy New Year, folks!

Old January 1st 06, 12:54 PM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:27:13 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:

The new phrase is "Leap Ahead".

Inside Intel
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...2/b3966001.htm

Eric Kim is proposing getting rid of the Pentium name, and getting rid
of the "Intel Inside" tagline, replaced with the "Leap Ahead".

The reason? Kim's plan, cooked up with new CEO Paul S. Otellini, was a sharp departure from the company Grove had built. Essentially, they were proposing to blow up Intel's brand, the fifth-best-known in the world. As Otellini looked on from a front table, Kim declared that Intel must "clear out the cobwebs" and kill off many Grove-era creations. Intel Inside? Dump it, he said. The Pentium brand? Stale. The widely recognized dropped "e" in Intel's corporate logo? A relic.

Intel is also becoming a more humane place apparently.

Yeah it's gonna be like Santa's workshop... making (high-tech) toys for
girls & boys.:-)

I dunno how they expect to do anything productive by distributing
chip/semiconductor designers/engineers out into the final product groups -
I'm thinking the article must have gotten that bit wrong,,, otherwise
there's gonna be a ****load of resumes hitting the desks of the rest of the
industry. This whole thing has the reek of a corporate shrink-job... I
wonder who might have done that for/to them?... McKinsey maybe?

Intel's culture is changing, too. Under the charismatic Grove, who was CEO from 1987 to 1998 and then chairman until 2005, the company was a rough-and-tumble place. Grove's motto was "Only the paranoid survive," and managers frequently engaged in "constructive confrontation," which any outsider would call shouting. Engineers ruled the roost. Grove and Barrett also instituted the practice of doling out cash to PC makers for joint advertising, which Intel rivals have alleged blocks them from some markets.

Hmm, I wonder if they'll still have "disagree and commit"?... or does that
involve yelling at each other too?:-) My favorite bit, about their new
hires, is: "sociologists, ethnographers, even doctors". Geez, doesn't it
make you wish you were an ethnographer? Christ are they actually convinced
that wan... err, think tanks really work and do anything useful?

IMO, if all true, this is a catastrophe - I sure hope that AMD gets their
new production up to capacity, including Chartered, quickly.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old January 1st 06, 04:26 PM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 07:54:36 -0500, George Macdonald
wrote:

Hmm, I wonder if they'll still have "disagree and commit"?... or does that
involve yelling at each other too?:-) My favorite bit, about their new
hires, is: "sociologists, ethnographers, even doctors". Geez, doesn't it
make you wish you were an ethnographer? Christ are they actually convinced
that wan... err, think tanks really work and do anything useful?

IMO, if all true, this is a catastrophe - I sure hope that AMD gets their
new production up to capacity, including Chartered, quickly.

This would be a real catastrophe. Imagine for a second that Intel
self-destructs and leaves all of the market to AMD. Rather sooner
than later the new monopolist starts charging an arm and a leg for the
chips. Instead of thinking how to get more market share through
innovation and speed ramps, they will think how to milk the market the
most efficient way. As much as I support AMD I don't want them to
become another Intel.

"Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely" - Lord
Acton

NNN

Old January 1st 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

George Macdonald wrote:
I dunno how they expect to do anything productive by distributing
chip/semiconductor designers/engineers out into the final product groups -
I'm thinking the article must have gotten that bit wrong,,, otherwise
there's gonna be a ****load of resumes hitting the desks of the rest of the
industry. This whole thing has the reek of a corporate shrink-job... I
wonder who might have done that for/to them?... McKinsey maybe?

Who is McKinsey?

As for distributing the engineers among the product groups, I've seen
management do a lot of unorthodox things, which then get reversed when
the next generation of managers come in. Carly Fiorina combining the HP
printer and PC groups together and then Mark Hurd reversing that, for
example.

Intel's culture is changing, too. Under the charismatic Grove, who was CEO from 1987 to 1998 and then chairman until 2005, the company was a rough-and-tumble place. Grove's motto was "Only the paranoid survive," and managers frequently engaged in "constructive confrontation," which any outsider would call shouting. Engineers ruled the roost. Grove and Barrett also instituted the practice of doling out cash to PC makers for joint advertising, which Intel rivals have alleged blocks them from some markets.

Hmm, I wonder if they'll still have "disagree and commit"?... or does that
involve yelling at each other too?:-) My favorite bit, about their new
hires, is: "sociologists, ethnographers, even doctors". Geez, doesn't it
make you wish you were an ethnographer? Christ are they actually convinced
that wan... err, think tanks really work and do anything useful?

It does sound like something out of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,
doesn't it? For example in Hitchhiker's they had a race called the
Golgafrinchans who decided to get rid of all of their useless people. So
they sent all of their hairdressers, management consultants, telephone
sanitizers and marketing people up into a big spaceship telling them
that a giant space goat was coming to eat their world. Those
Golgafrinchans eventually landed on a primitive Earth, where they were
told to invent fire and the wheel. They broke up into subcomittees to
study what consumers want from fire and how they relate to it. The wheel
subcommittee broke up because they couldn't decide on what color the
wheel should be. Ironically, the original Golgafrinchans back on their
homeworld died out due to complications arising from dirty telephones.

IMO, if all true, this is a catastrophe - I sure hope that AMD gets their
new production up to capacity, including Chartered, quickly.

As long as AMD keeps their telephones clean, I can't see how they can't
help but be successful. :-)

Yousuf Khan

--
There is no failure, only delayed success
Old January 2nd 06, 11:04 AM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 15:43:50 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:

George Macdonald wrote:
I dunno how they expect to do anything productive by distributing
chip/semiconductor designers/engineers out into the final product groups -
I'm thinking the article must have gotten that bit wrong,,, otherwise
there's gonna be a ****load of resumes hitting the desks of the rest of the
industry. This whole thing has the reek of a corporate shrink-job... I
wonder who might have done that for/to them?... McKinsey maybe?

Who is McKinsey?

http://www.mckinsey.com/aboutus/whatwedo/workexamples/ Been around for
decades - well known for turning somewhat inefficient companies into total
****-ups with reorgs (divisionalize/consolidate, rationalize/diversify etc.
etc. according to status quo) based on corporate shrink analysis.

OTOH maybe it's just that Otellini got Job's religion... since they seem to
have struck up a great friendship.

As for distributing the engineers among the product groups, I've seen
management do a lot of unorthodox things, which then get reversed when
the next generation of managers come in. Carly Fiorina combining the HP
printer and PC groups together and then Mark Hurd reversing that, for
example.

Ah so maybe Otellini == Fiorina??:-) I wonder how long he'll get?

[...]

Hmm, it does have a ring to it. I have to think though that it's maybe
just the P4 guys who are being punished and sent out to the trenches for
making such a ****ty job of it. Then again it was Barrett who said "They
buy the MHz" - they should cancel his stock options.:-)

IMO, if all true, this is a catastrophe - I sure hope that AMD gets their
new production up to capacity, including Chartered, quickly.

As long as AMD keeps their telephones clean, I can't see how they can't
help but be successful. :-)

Yeah but I kinda like cheap CPUs.:-)

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old January 2nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to alt.invest.stocks.amd,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

George Macdonald wrote:
Who is McKinsey?

http://www.mckinsey.com/aboutus/whatwedo/workexamples/ Been around for
decades - well known for turning somewhat inefficient companies into total
****-ups with reorgs (divisionalize/consolidate, rationalize/diversify etc.
etc. according to status quo) based on corporate shrink analysis.

Ah, management consultants.

Ah so maybe Otellini == Fiorina??:-) I wonder how long he'll get?

So far, I haven't seen Otellini do nearly as much damage as Fiorina did
in her first year. He'll probably be a long-term damager.

Yousuf Khan

--
There is no failure, only delayed success