HELP......need pin or wire color codes for USB connector on P4U-LA mobo (micro-ATX)

Old July 23rd 04, 07:14 PM
TJM

Default HELP......need pin or wire color codes for USB connector on P4U-LA mobo (micro-ATX)

I bought a used HP Pavilion 7955 desktop PC for $10 on eBay and the stock ASUS
P4U-LA mobo was totally fried from a lightning strike. So I bought an Intel
D845HV mobo to replace it, and the install went smooth except I cant figure out
how to connect the HP's front-panel USB connector to the D845HV mobo connection.

It's a standard 10-pin connector, but the female connection on the D845HV is
configured different than the ASUS P4U-LA mobo. Basically, I need to get the
pin codes off the P4U-LA female USB connector so I can properly mate the
front-panel male connector to the D845HV female USB mobo connection.

I have to be careful about just playing around with this connector because
putting 5V power to the wrong pin can fry my new mobo.....correct? I tried
looking up the P4U-LA technical manual on the ASUS site but no luck....it
appears it was a custom micro-ATX board for this HP system.

Please let me know where I can find the USB pin code for this mobo.

Old July 23rd 04, 08:32 PM
Paul

In article , "TJM" tjm@nospam wrote:

[...]

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...3&locale=en_US

Since that is an OEM board, only HP will have the docs. It is roughly
the same vintage as a P4B-M board, but doesn't look the same.

Asus USB headers consist of 2x5 pins, of which nine pins are present
and one pin is missing. There are two USB interfaces, occupying four
pins each. The nineth pin is marked as "NC" or no connect.

+5 D- D+ GND (No_connect)
USBxx X X X X X ---- Top five pins goes to one
X X X X USB interface. Last pin
has no connection, leaving
four pins used.

USBxx X X X X X
X X X X ---- Bottom has four pins and
+5 D- D+ GND is keyed by the missing pin
It forms the second interface.

Now, the problem is, on an OEM board, anything is possible. Asus
could have designed the USB header, to meet HP's requirements,
rather than using the standard Asus header pattern.

You could use an ohmmeter, and buzz from the USB pins on the front
of the computer, to the cable assembly inside the case. Perhaps you
can figure out the labelling of the pins that way. That would be
safer than relying on the above info.

Or, go to frontx.com, and make up a "drive tray" interface for
whatever interfaces the D845HV offers.

Paul