XP woes

Old August 23rd 03, 11:37 AM
Copo

Default XP woes

Hope some can help.

I've built myself a PC with gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard, AMD XP 2100
processor and an IBM deskstar 80GB IDE 7200rpm ATA/100 120GXP hard drive.

I loaded windows 98 onto my pc to start with and everything has been just
fine and dandy, but I'd like to upgrade to windows XP. I've started the
setup and everything goes OK for a while and the I get a blue screen with
the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart
the computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard
drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make
sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your
computer.

Technical information:
***stop: 0x0000007b (0xf898963c, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Surely if my hard drive works ok on windows 98 (which it certanly does) then
it should be ok in XP?

Thanks for your help

Old August 23rd 03, 04:25 PM
Cari

See Jim Eshelman's article at:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7b

It's always better with XP to do a clean install if you can. Did you run
the Upgrade Advisor (on the XP CD) to check for incompatible
hardware/software first?

Cari
www.coribright.com

Old August 23rd 03, 04:50 PM
Copo

"Cari" wrote in message
See Jim Eshelman's article at:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7b

It's always better with XP to do a clean install if you can. Did you run
the Upgrade Advisor (on the XP CD) to check for incompatible
hardware/software first?

Yes I did run the upgrade advisor first and there was no issue with hardware
or software.

Cari
www.coribright.com

"Copo" wrote in message
[...]

Replacing Hard Drive, BIOS Woes etc (long) Michael General 3 October 9th 04 10:22 PM
hp deskjet 610c woes norfleet General 0 September 29th 04 05:05 PM
DVD woes LadySpudz General 7 August 29th 04 10:02 AM
SATA power cable woes MC General 2 August 27th 04 01:51 AM
Athlon + nForce Woes Someone General 6 May 5th 04 06:55 PM