I/O Plate removal?

Old July 29th 04, 02:33 AM
jf

Default I/O Plate removal?

There are two plates on the Enlight 7250 case, one is sheet metal and
the other is thin silver tin one behind it. How do you remove them to
replace with the one that came with my P4c800 MOBO?

I don't get it, I thought these I/O plates were standardized? It
doesn't match any I've seen. On the Enlight plate, the audio jacks run
up vertically up. On the MOBO. they run horizontally across.

Am I supposed to remove this thicker sheet metal plate and drill it
out?

The one with the MOBO is flimsy compared to that one. Why are there
two plates?
Old July 29th 04, 04:43 AM
kony

On 28 Jul 2004 18:33:09 -0700, (jf) wrote:

There are two plates on the Enlight 7250 case, one is sheet metal and
the other is thin silver tin one behind it. How do you remove them to
replace with the one that came with my P4c800 MOBO?

I don't get it, I thought these I/O plates were standardized?

That one (the case's shield) is standard. The two pieces of
metal should be joined, a single unit that can be removed by
snapping out or taking off a screw, et, then the plate from your
board snaps in.

The motherboard shield for your P4C800 is not standard. At some
point motherboard manufacturers decided everyone wanted more than
two USB ports on back, maybe digital audio I/O and/or other
features too, so they removed the game port and rotated the
analog audio jacks by 90', and added whichever other port holes
applied. Because of this, you'll need the rear I/O shield made
for a particular motherboard, or another very similar board, or
to hack out your own from an old one.

When a case has removable shield like the Enlight, it's no big
deal unless you have an OEM bare board that didn't come with the
shield, though Asus will either send a free shield (once per
customer) or sell it for about $2 + S/H.

It
doesn't match any I've seen. On the Enlight plate, the audio jacks run
up vertically up. On the MOBO. they run horizontally across.

You must not have seen very many, up until a couple years ago it
was rare to see a different port config except on OEM systems or
special proprietary low-profile sytems.

Am I supposed to remove this thicker sheet metal plate and drill it
out?

Drill? I kinda doubt it, I have two different generations of
same 7250 Enlight and both have a completely removable shield.
Are you SURE it won't come off?

The one with the MOBO is flimsy compared to that one. Why are there
two plates?

Here is a picture of the current 7250,
http://images10.newegg.com/productim...116-171-03.JPG
In that picture, the outer steel metal plate is nestled inside
the rim of the shiney plate, the whole thing pops out as one
piece, don't try to separate them. It really doesn't matter if
the asus shield is flimsier, it is sturdy enough and if it were
much thicker it'd be harder to flex for insertion into the metal
rectangular hole... some use screws instead but that screwed-in
type is compatible with fewer cases so it's not used as much
anymore.

Old July 29th 04, 04:49 AM
S.Heenan

jf wrote:
There are two plates on the Enlight 7250 case, one is sheet metal and
the other is thin silver tin one behind it. How do you remove them to
replace with the one that came with my P4c800 MOBO?

I don't get it, I thought these I/O plates were standardized? It
doesn't match any I've seen. On the Enlight plate, the audio jacks run
up vertically up. On the MOBO. they run horizontally across.

Am I supposed to remove this thicker sheet metal plate and drill it
out?

The one with the MOBO is flimsy compared to that one. Why are there
two plates?

I doubt the original I/O plate has screws. It's normally a tight friction
fit. Push it inward, equal pressure on both sides. Replace it with the I/O
panel which came with your motherboard. The outside dimensions will be the
same.

The original I/O plate is kind of standard. The one which came with the
P4C800 will fit it and perhaps a small number of other boards.

Safe PSU removal kony General 3 May 13th 04 07:40 AM
Tualatin IHS removal. (Kony) ~misfit~ General 7 April 7th 04 06:10 AM
Plate for front USB, firewire ports Stuart Chapman General 3 April 1st 04 02:58 PM
P4 standard HSF removal Ulrich S. General 3 November 5th 03 07:51 AM
PC Dead since removal of TV Card amstereofan General 3 July 6th 03 09:15 PM