Saphire 9600 Pro FB Edition

Old October 13th 03, 10:16 AM
Bolton Gate

Default Saphire 9600 Pro FB Edition

I have just received Saphire 9600 Pro FB Edition card. I have an existing Nvidia GForce 3 card installed. What is the best way to uninstall the Nvidia card and install the new ATI card and which driver should I use the ones that came from saphire or the latest 3.8 ATI drivers.

Bryan
Old October 13th 03, 06:10 PM
Uncle Pete

Bolton Gate wrote:
I have just received Saphire 9600 Pro FB Edition card. I have an
existing Nvidia GForce 3 card installed. What is the best way to
uninstall the Nvidia card and install the new ATI card and which driver
should I use the ones that came from saphire or the latest 3.8 ATI drivers.

First of all, open Control Panel - Add and Remove Programs uninstall
everythig that has Nvidia in its name. There are also third-pary
programs to wipe out the rest of Nvidia (and other) drivers from your
system. E.g., Driver Cleaner (http://www.driverheaven.net).

As far as I know, Sapphire uses original Ati's drivers. My Radeon
9000Pro works great with v.3.8 and 3.7, although I had problems with
video-in in v.3.6. And in v.3.8 they've added tv-out overscan support by
default (no fiddling with the registry needed any more).

Best wishes,

Piotr

Old October 14th 03, 10:39 AM
Bolton Gate

Thanks for your advice.

I installed it last night and unfortunately the Cat drivers and control
panel I down loaded from ATI was corrupted so I was unable to unzip and
install version 3.8 and had to rely on the version 3.6 that came with the
card. When I upgrade to newer versions do I just double click the file and
let it remove and reinstall or should I remove in the control panel first
and manually remove ATI drivers and control panel. the Nvidia drivers just
installed over the top.

Bryan

Old October 14th 03, 01:37 PM
Skid

You can do it either way, but you increase the odds of causing yourself
trouble by installing new drivers over old ones. Sometimes files with the
same name or files that are in use don't get overwritten and you wind up
with a mixed set.

Safest thing to do is use the add-remove CP to uninstall everything with ATI
in the title. Reboot, and don't let Windows install the drivers for you.
Cancel out to the desktop and run the ATI install applets, drivers first,
control panel second.