Mac Hick -- Soyo Barebones RIP

Old October 20th 04, 04:04 PM
Barton Brown

Default Mac Hick -- Soyo Barebones RIP

Well, after examining every component, tearing down and rebuilding 6 or
7 times, I finally did what I should have done from the start (but was
too inexperienced to know it -- should've read mechbgone's step-by-step
all the way through): I reduced the whole thing to just the mobo, one
stick of memory, and the power supply. Cleared CMOS (with the ATX plug
disconnected), checked all jumpers (with Soyo Tech support on the phone,
miraculously), plugged the ATX cable back in, reset the CMOS jumper, and
fired it up. CPU fan immediately spun up, but other than that, nada. No
beeps, gurgles, gollums, and certainly no POST (monitor connected to
on-board video). The Soyo tech said, sagely, "motherboard and CPU not
communicating," immediately gave me a case number, and told me to call
TigerDirect and RMA the whole MFT.

I called Tiger and they said "well... it's been way over 30 days..." I
explained I work 6 days a week, and had been soliciting advice since the
first time I built the thing and it didn't POST, and it had taken me an
excruciatingly long time to come to the final conclusion that either the
mobo or CPU (both both bought from Tiger) was dead as Julius Caesar. I
also mentioned the numerous -- to say the least -- complaints about this
barebones kit on this forum and many NGs and DLs. I have to say I was
surprised, considering TigerDirect's usual peremptory phone support,
that they finally agreed to RMA the kit and the CPU, so now it's back to
square one, a couple-three months older and -- I hope! -- wiser, with
all the necessary components and some building experience.

I'd like to thank everyone here who offered suggestions and wise
guidance. If it doesn't work this time, it won't be for lack of knowledge.

Bart Brown