Moms new computer....advice?

Old December 8th 03, 02:21 PM
rferoni

Default Moms new computer....advice?

Here's the stuff I'm using to build my mom a computer. I've only built one
PC before so I was just wondering what you all think. She uses PC just for
WWW browsing, email, and occasional online card games(i.e. yahoo euchre and
such). She listens to alot of music using the cdrom and wants to start
burning her own stuff as well. Is there drawbacks to going with micro-atx?
I'm going this route to keep the costs down. If you have advice please
post.....

Ron

http://secure.newegg.com/app/shoppin...tem=27-151-026

Old December 8th 03, 03:17 PM
jeffc

"rferoni" wrote in message
Here's the stuff I'm using to build my mom a computer. I've only built

one
PC before so I was just wondering what you all think. She uses PC just

for
WWW browsing, email, and occasional online card games(i.e. yahoo euchre

and
such). She listens to alot of music using the cdrom and wants to start
burning her own stuff as well. Is there drawbacks to going with

micro-atx?
I'm going this route to keep the costs down. If you have advice please
post.....

Ron

http://secure.newegg.com/app/shoppin...tem=27-151-026

Maybe it's just me, but you might want more than just a CD drive in that
computer. There is a case, CPU, power supply, etc. to think about. Anyway,
cost usually is not a reason for building your own. If I wanted a computer
to do what she's doing, I'd go down to my local computer store and buy a
used system for about $200.

Old December 8th 03, 09:46 PM
rferoni

Jeff wrote hastilyThere is a case, CPU, power supply, etc. to think
about. Anyway,
| cost usually is not a reason for building your own.

Jeff,

Not sure what you mean as I have picked out a case(comes with
PSU), CPU and such. Maybe it didnt show up in the link?? Now tho I have to
look for a new MB as they are sold out of the one I had picked...

ron

Old December 8th 03, 10:13 PM
jeffc

"rferoni" wrote in message
Jeff wrote hastilyThere is a case, CPU, power supply, etc. to think
about. Anyway,
| cost usually is not a reason for building your own.

Jeff,

Not sure what you mean as I have picked out a case(comes with
PSU), CPU and such. Maybe it didnt show up in the link?? Now tho I have

look for a new MB as they are sold out of the one I had picked...

It didn't show up in the link - just the CD drive did. I was just joking -
giving you hard time about that.....

Old December 9th 03, 12:07 AM
do_not_spam_me

"rferoni" wrote in message ...

Here's the stuff I'm using to build my mom a computer.
She uses PC just for WWW browsing, email, and occasional
online card games(i.e. yahoo euchre and such). She listens
to a lot of music using the cdrom and wants to start burning
her own stuff as well. Is there drawbacks to going with
micro-atx? I'm going this route to keep the costs down.

http://secure.newegg.com/app/shoppin...tem=27-151-026

I'm not that familiar with micro-ATX, but nonstandard parts and form
factors tend to increase costs, not decrease them, especially when
broken parts have to be replaced -- those 1/2 cubic-foot boxes may
look cute, but how much does a new motherboard or power supply for one
cost? Stay with the standard minimum size 7"W x 19"L x 15"H case,
especially the 19"L since that's needed to prevent the CD-ROM drive
and any larger motherboard from bumping into one another.
Old December 9th 03, 06:23 AM
Chris

All this link shows is the DVD drive.
I would recommend adding a case, power supply, motherboard, cpu, memory,
video card and some more disk drives
Micro ATX are smaller so do not have as many expansion slots, they usually
have lots of on-board features though so you don't need them.

Old December 9th 03, 04:35 PM
Justin

The stuff you have listed at newegg costs about $300 or so. The tasks your
mom needs the PC for could be done on a 3 year old P2 or P3 that'll cost
you anywhere from $100 to $200, but you have to factor in for a DVD and
CDRW drives so add another $100 to that making a total of $200 to $300 for
a used PC. I'd buy the new parts and build her a new PC for the $300. The
stuff will be under warranty and it'll give her room to grow. She might
take up computer art tomorrow and need a fast system.

Old December 9th 03, 04:55 PM
jeffc

"Justin" noone wrote in message
The stuff you have listed at newegg costs about $300 or so. The tasks

your
mom needs the PC for could be done on a 3 year old P2 or P3 that'll cost
you anywhere from $100 to $200, but you have to factor in for a DVD and
CDRW drives so add another $100 to that making a total of $200 to $300 for
a used PC. I'd buy the new parts and build her a new PC for the $300.

The
stuff will be under warranty and it'll give her room to grow. She might
take up computer art tomorrow and need a fast system.

But as someone else mentioned (I think), you have to add $100 for a new OS
for a new system.

Old December 9th 03, 07:15 PM
Gary Tait

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:55:54 -0500, "jeffc" wrote:

"Justin" noone wrote in message
The stuff you have listed at newegg costs about $300 or so. The tasks

your
mom needs the PC for could be done on a 3 year old P2 or P3 that'll cost
you anywhere from $100 to $200, but you have to factor in for a DVD and
CDRW drives so add another $100 to that making a total of $200 to $300 for
a used PC. I'd buy the new parts and build her a new PC for the $300.

The
stuff will be under warranty and it'll give her room to grow. She might
take up computer art tomorrow and need a fast system.

But as someone else mentioned (I think), you have to add $100 for a new OS
for a new system.

You'd probably need to buy the OS in either case, as the used PCs I
see have no OS.
Old December 9th 03, 07:53 PM
jeffc

"Gary Tait" wrote in message

But as someone else mentioned (I think), you have to add $100 for a new

OS
for a new system.

You'd probably need to buy the OS in either case, as the used PCs I
see have no OS.

I don't see why that would be - usually it's for sale with the system on the
hard drive on the ones I've seen. If they don't actually give you the disk,
that can be problematic.....