PC power on - start, stop, start, stop, etc - eventually powers up

Old December 27th 08, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default PC power on - start, stop, start, stop, etc - eventually powersup

On Dec 27, 5:55*am, spodosaurus wrote:
My voltages were all within 5% of nominal voltages on both PSUs - I
tested these before I did anything else. I had a PSU test okay with my
digital multimeter before, but there were fluctuations on the +5VSB line
that were causing problems that were only detected by a PSU tester that
was inaccurate and only reported to one decimal place, but it did update
frequently enough that I could see the +5VSB fluctuations. Just in case
there was a +5VSB issue, I switch the rear usb power from that line to
+5V using the motherboard's jumpers without success.

Your specs -5% - are an ATX spec but are not correct for what is
measured. Post those numbers here because being inside another spec
is only one part of information in those numbers.

If a power supply test (near zero load) detected a problem, then
removing a near zero load (USB) also accomplishes nothing. When the
+5VSB is connected to a load (motherboard), what does the multimeter
actually read?