Testing a Mainboard out of the case?

Old September 18th 03, 12:05 PM
bad_knee

Default Testing a Mainboard out of the case?

Hello,
I've got a Biostar M7SUA Mainboard that I'm
building a custom case for. I don't have
the case designed/built yet, but I would
like to fire up the board to check out the
pieces.

After swapping out the cpus, power supplies,
and fans (on the cpu and case connectors), the
beast powers on for 5 seconds and then shuts
off. I've got the board jumpered for 100 MHZ
and running and AMD 950. A hard drive is plugged
into the board and ps for a load.

Is there something else I need to jumper to
get this fired up, or are these motherboards
getting smart enough to know when they are
not in a case?

Thanks,
bl8n8r
Old September 18th 03, 08:59 PM
Joseph

nope it should work without case. Make sure you are not shorting the board.
Meaning ground the motherboard on a wooden platform

om...

Old September 19th 03, 03:32 AM
bad_knee

"Joseph" wrote in message ...
nope it should work without case. Make sure you are not shorting the board.
Meaning ground the motherboard on a wooden platform

Yup - I got it insulated.. OK just
wanted to make sure I was not missing
something here.

Thanks Joseph
Old September 19th 03, 07:39 AM
spodosaurus

bad_knee wrote:
Hello,
I've got a Biostar M7SUA Mainboard that I'm
building a custom case for. I don't have
the case designed/built yet, but I would
like to fire up the board to check out the
pieces.

After swapping out the cpus, power supplies,
and fans (on the cpu and case connectors), the
beast powers on for 5 seconds and then shuts
off. I've got the board jumpered for 100 MHZ
and running and AMD 950. A hard drive is plugged
into the board and ps for a load.

Is there something else I need to jumper to
get this fired up, or are these motherboards
getting smart enough to know when they are
not in a case?

Thanks,
bl8n8r

How are you getting the system to start outside the case? I'm assuming
you have a intermittent switch connected to the motherboard to get the
ATX PSU to fire up. Shutdowns can be from overheating, and this can be
from an overheating PSU, too, not just a CPU.

I'm just grasping at straws here.

Ari

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old September 19th 03, 10:31 AM
Antithesis

How are you getting the system to start outside the case? I'm assuming
you have a intermittent switch connected to the motherboard to get the
ATX PSU to fire up. Shutdowns can be from overheating, and this can be
from an overheating PSU, too, not just a CPU.

Can't you do it with a screwdriver? I'm probably wrong. I thought I read
that somewhere.
http://www.ourstrangeworld.com

Old September 19th 03, 04:21 PM
Groove

Antithesis said this...
Can't you do it with a screwdriver?

You sure can. All you need to do is briefly short the two pins for the pwr_on
switch and you're up and running.

--
º~ dªv¡d ~º
Old September 22nd 03, 06:07 PM
bad_knee

"Antithesis" wrote in message
snip

Can't you do it with a screwdriver? I'm probably wrong. I thought I read
that somewhere.

That's funny... My old chevy truck and my computer can use
the same ignition.
Old September 22nd 03, 06:09 PM
bad_knee

spodosaurus wrote in message ...
sniP

How are you getting the system to start outside the case? I'm assuming
you have a intermittent switch connected to the motherboard to get the
ATX PSU to fire up. Shutdowns can be from overheating, and this can be
from an overheating PSU, too, not just a CPU.

I just jumpered the power leads. The retailer gave me some things to
try and determined it was faulty. They are shipping a new one...guess
we'll see how it goes.