P!! board acting weird with PIII CPU

Old May 17th 07, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default P!! board acting weird with PIII CPU

Are all Pentium II motherboards compatible with Pentium III CPU's?
I have a computer that has a Pentium II 266 Mhz CPU, and it works
fine. I tried to install a PIII 700mhz CPU. It boots up (at least to
dos, since I just plugged in a temporary harddrive with only dos on
it.). Anyhow, it boots up, but I get error beeps, and it says on the
CMOS screen "? 500MHZ" (With the question mark, just like I typed it.
The MotherB is a Premio 212B. The CPU is an Intel 700mhz. PIII.
Does this mean the MB just cant handle this CPU or what?

I transplanted an identical CPU into another computer that was a
300mhz and it worked fine.

I also tried to change the CMOS, but its kind of oddly configured,
It gives me the oprions for 222 or 333 in several places. (having to
do with the CPU). I am not familiar with that type of CMOS. I tried
it both ways, I also let it use it's default. Either way, I get this
oddball ? 500mhz.....

Anyone have any idea whats going on?

George
Old May 17th 07, 06:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
LemmonJello

wrote in message
[...]

When putting a Pentium III CPU into a Pentium II Mobo, make sure you wet the
pins real good before inserting the CPU. Distilled water is the best, but
spit will do in a clinch. Keep trying- you'll get it to work eventually.

Old May 17th 07, 10:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
[...]

Are you sure the BIOS is modern enough to support that processor ?

If the BIOS code has run that far, then at the Slot 1 level,
the hardware must be compatible. (Otherwise the screen would be
black.) But the BIOS may not be able to handle the CPUID info
it is getting. (Even modern BIOS are like that, refusing to
complete POST if the processor is not recognized.)

http://www.premiopc.com/discontinued.../faq/212b.html

There are some other checks you could be doing, such as whether
there are going to be any issues with Vcore. But finding info on
older products on the Intel site is getting harder now, so I'll
leave that detail to you. A Celeron compatible with your
motherboard, uses 2.0V, and the Pentium III could be 1.65V.
There were some voltage regulators, whose lowest voltage output
choice was 1.80V. Since the BIOS screen is rendered, it implies
you must have a Vcore regulator capable of running at less
than 1.8V. Either that, or the Vcore regulator is putting out
some weird voltage. And to check that possibility, would require
going through datasheets. (Like the datasheet for your Vcore
regulator chip, whatever it is.)

But since the BIOS is not co-operating, this is probably all
academic. If there is no later BIOS version to try, you are
probably not going to be able to upgrade. Compare your current
BIOS version, to the ones listed on the Premio web site.

Paul
Old May 17th 07, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Knowlden

http://ftp.premiopc.com/faqs/212bfaq.htm

The 212b uses a 440LX chipset. That only supports a 66 MHz FSB (front side
bus). The PIII 700 has a 100 MHz FSB: if it ran at all, I'd expect 467 MHz.
I doubt that the board will run Coppermine CPUs at all.

It's just as well. Antique computers (1997) should be kept in their original
configuration. ;-)

Address scarmbled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

Old May 17th 07, 09:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ghostrider

Paul wrote:

Spajky wrote:

On Wed, 16 May 2007 22:38:47 -0500, wrote:

Are all Pentium II motherboards compatible with Pentium III CPU's?
I have a computer that has a Pentium II 266 Mhz CPU, and it works
fine. I tried to install a PIII 700mhz CPU. It boots up (at least to
dos, since I just plugged in a temporary harddrive with only dos on
it.). Anyhow, it boots up, but I get error beeps, and it says on the
CMOS screen "? 500MHZ" (With the question mark, just like I typed it.
The MotherB is a Premio 212B. The CPU is an Intel 700mhz. PIII.
Does this mean the MB just cant handle this CPU or what?

this your MoBo looks alike is NOT Coppermine ready & natively does not
support 0,13 micron technology P-III CPUs; to be sure, google about
that MoBo techical data/user manual on manufacturers site ...
--
Regards , SPAJKY ®
mail addr. @ my site @

But if that is true, would the BIOS be able to run long enough
to print "? 500MHZ" on the monitor ? That is what I find
puzzling. If it was just incompatible (socket not prepared
for Coppermine), it should be a black screen with no writing.

Paul

There are a couple of issues involved. Assuming that the multiplier is
locked at a value of 7 for the Coppermine PIII 700 MHZ CPU, then it should
be reading 460 MHz on the old PII motherboard. It is not since the PIII
is also running with a Vcore that is approx. 0.4 V higher than spec. It
is going to take more than a bios update to run this PIII Coppermine; the
voltage controller must be able to run at approx. 1.6 to 1.7 V. If the
PIII CPU has not already been fried, it will be shortly at 2.0 to 2.1 V.
Old May 18th 07, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Thu, 17 May 2007 13:54:29 -0700, Ghostrider
wrote:

Paul wrote:

Spajky wrote:

[...]

Since I am not all that familiar with what CPUs work with what mobo,
I'm just going to find another mobo. I already know that I have to
avoid the PII boards, and I'm guessing the new mobos made for the P4
is probably too new. Besides I need to keep costs down so I will
probably look at a used computer store (recycler). Or, if I want to
take a big risk, Ebay.

the CPU is an Intel PIII 700/256/100/165V S1
90240298-0026.

What mobos will work with this, or I should say what numbers or terms
do I need to look for?

What does Coppermine mean?
On the CPU, the 700 is MHZ, but what does the 256 and 100 mean?

This multiplier of 66 or 100, what does that mean? Is that why many
computers are x66 (like 266mhz). I always wondered why they made them
such an odd number.

I have been looking on Ebay (just to see what to look for), and Asus
seems like a popular brand. Any model numbers I should look for in
that brand, or is there another better brand? I want a board with
lots of card slots, and at least 3 memory slots, plus it must have an
AGPslot for video card. I dont want a card with built in video, sound
dont matter. USB 2 is preferred but I do have an extra USB 2 card.

All help appreciated.

George

By the way, that CPU did not say 460, it said 500 ???
The computer stayed booted for a half hour in dos mode.

Either way, I removed it and put back the orignal 266 CPU. The
computer still works with the 266. and that 266 is actually faster
than this computer I am using now, which is a 500mhz. I know this
mobo has a built in video card and it's a POS. The mobo dont have an
AGP slot.
Old May 18th 07, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ghostrider

wrote:

[...]

You are going to look for a PIII motherboard. Generically, my favorite is
one with a 440-BX2 chipset, e.g., Intel, Asus, Supermicro, etc., that is
also PIII-Coppermine capable. That is, it will be able to support a Vcore
of 1.65 V. The FSB runs at 100 MHz and this should also be the speed of the
RAM. (We used Ver. 1.1 or newer SuperMicro P6SBA's for our PIII designs.)

As for the PIII CPU, it is a Coppermine. Since it is multiplier-locked with
a value of 7.0, it needs to run on a motherboard with an FSB of 100 MHz.
The "165V" notation lasered into the CPU case indicates that the Vcore is
1.65 V.