Windows reports Wrong CPU Speed.

Old September 16th 04, 07:58 PM
Mutley

Default Windows reports Wrong CPU Speed.

I have a AMD Pro 3100A+ Processor running on a PC Chips M825G MainBoard.
( http://tinyurl.com/47fus ) with 1GB of DDR.

Windows reports it as a AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Does anyone know why?

BTW, its running at 1.67GHz and its not clocked.

--
Does a coffin have a lifetime guarantee?!

Old September 16th 04, 08:31 PM
kony

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:58:28 +0100, "Mutley"
wrote:

I have a AMD Pro 3100A+ Processor running on a PC Chips M825G MainBoard.
( http://tinyurl.com/47fus ) with 1GB of DDR.

Windows reports it as a AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Does anyone know why?

BTW, its running at 1.67GHz and its not clocked.

A "Pro 3100A+" is a nonsense made-up name to deceive buyers.
There is no such CPU in reality, so it's to be expected that
Windows wouldn't call it that.

At 1.67 GHz, (assuming it's not a Duron, IIRC they switched
to Athlons after a certain "Pro" speed) it is essentially an
XP2000.
Old September 16th 04, 08:59 PM
Mutley

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message
Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, "Mutley" on

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:58:28 +0100 spoke:

I have a AMD Pro 3100A+ Processor

There is no such thing.

Windows reports it as a AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Does anyone know why?

Because that's what it is.

CPUID Output
Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Thoroughbred
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
Family/Model/Stepping 681
Extended Family/Model 7/8
Package Socket A
Core Stepping B0
Technology 0.13µ
Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
Clock Speed 1666.8 MHz
Clock multiplier x12.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.3 MHz
Bus Speed 266.7 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 1666.8 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits.

Old September 17th 04, 12:35 AM
~misfit~

------------------------------

[...]

So there you have it, you have an Athlon XP2200+. (I'm suprised that CPUID
doesn't say "Thoroughbred B" though) The whole "AMD Pro 3100A+" is a
bull**** marketing scam that certain company's in the USA are pulling. I for
one don't know how they get away with it. AMD certainly didn't ever make a
CPU called a "AMD Pro 3100A+". I read somewhere that it's what speed a
Pentium 1 would have to run at to be on par with it. Hardly a valid
comparison these days considering a P1 didn't have on-die L2 cache or half
the instuction-sets that modern CPUs have.

You, my friend, have been had. Unless it was cheap enough and you are happy
with the performance.
--
~misfit~

Old September 17th 04, 03:35 AM
David Maynard

~misfit~ wrote:

Mutley wrote:
=20
"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message
. ..

Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, "Mutley"
on

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:58:28 +0100 spoke:

I have a AMD Pro 3100A+ Processor

There is no such thing.

Windows reports it as a AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Does anyone know why?

Because that's what it is.

CPUID Output
------------------------------

=20
=20
Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Thoroughbred
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
Family/Model/Stepping 681
Extended Family/Model 7/8
Package Socket A
Core Stepping B0
Technology 0.13=B5
[...]

Yeah? And why does everyone just automatically assume it's "certain=20
companies in the USA"? Looks to me like this is a PCChips 'exclusive' in =
a=20
long like of 'Pro' exclusives, like their "BX Pro" (also BXcel and BXToo =

and BXPert) that wasn't a BX chipset and the "TX Pro" and "TX Pro II" tha=
t=20
weren't TX chipsets, not to mention the infamous "PC100 Pro" that didn't =

support a 100Mhz FSB. "Pro" seems to be the PCChips code word for "we're =

lying."

Just for the record, PCChips is not a 'U.S. company'.

http://www.7bytes.com/sys1s.cgi?035+BBAM102

Those people may be selling it but they warn you about it too.

I for
one don't know how they get away with it.

Because it's 'their name' for whatever it is, or so they might argue. Jus=
t=20
as AMD calls a 1.67GHz processor an "XP 2000+." How do THEY 'get away wit=
h it'?

Speaking of it isn't what it says it is, maybe Dan Rather and CBS should =

try calling them the "National Guard 'Pro'" documents.

Old September 17th 04, 04:14 AM
ECM

"Mutley" wrote in message
I have a AMD Pro 3100A+ Processor running on a PC Chips M825G MainBoard.
( http://tinyurl.com/47fus ) with 1GB of DDR.

Windows reports it as a AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Does anyone know why?

BTW, its running at 1.67GHz and its not clocked.

--
Does a coffin have a lifetime guarantee?!

1.67GHz is correct for a Athlon XP 2000+. I'm not sure what Athlon you're
running; is it a AthlonXP 3000+ with a 333MHz FSB? If so, it'll run at
2.16GHz; if it's anAthlonXP 3000+ 400MHz FSB it'll run at 2.2GHz. I suspect
you've got the AthlonXP 3000+, 333FSB set at a FSB of 133MHz. It's the only
thing that makes sense.

So, get into the BIOS, and set the FSB at 177 (that's what a 333FSB actually
runs at; it's multiplied by 2).

Good Luck!
ECM

Old September 17th 04, 04:20 AM
ECM

"ECM" wrote in message

"Mutley" wrote in message
[...]

Now that I've seen the posts from misfit and Mutley, I think could be
wrong - I vaguely remeber hearing something about thisidiotic scam. What a
sh!tty deal! Get your money back if you can!

Old September 17th 04, 04:58 AM
Tony Hill

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:58:28 +0100, "Mutley" wrote:

I have a AMD Pro 3100A+ Processor running on a PC Chips M825G MainBoard.
( http://tinyurl.com/47fus ) with 1GB of DDR.

Windows reports it as a AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Does anyone know why?

Because that's what it is. The store that sold it to you (Tiger
Direct?) was using VERY sketchy marketing practices to say the least.
There is no such thing as an "AMD Pro 3100A+" processor, all this
store is doing is taking an AthlonXP 2000+ processor and slapping a
new sticker on it and selling it as something else.

In most markets this is illegal, an a call to the better business
bureau is not an entirely bad idea. However your best bet would be to
return it to the store and demand your money back.

BTW, its running at 1.67GHz and its not clocked.

That is the correct speed for this AthlonXP 2000+ processor you were
sold.

PS. PC Chips has a LONG history of defrauding customers. They are
known crooks, but consumer protection laws are weak to say the least,
especially when the company screwing people over is based out of
China.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old September 17th 04, 05:11 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:59:02 +0100, Mutley wrote:

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message
Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, "Mutley" on

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:58:28 +0100 spoke:

I have a AMD Pro 3100A+ Processor

There is no such thing.

Windows reports it as a AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Does anyone know why?

Because that's what it is.

CPUID Output
Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Thoroughbred
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
Family/Model/Stepping 681
Clock Speed 1666.8 MHz
Clock multiplier x12.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.3 MHz

So it's a Tbred B core 2000+ XP. But you didn't get burned as bad as they
thought they burned you. Being a B core (noted by the 681 CPUID code) will
let you clock this cpu to a much higher speed. Just set the FSB to 166MHz
(assuming you know how to do this) and you end up with a 2600+. Consider
yourself lucky. Others hafve been burned with Pro 2800A systems that were
Durons.:-)

Old September 17th 04, 05:26 AM
CBFalconer

ECM wrote:

.... snip ...

So, get into the BIOS, and set the FSB at 177 (that's what a
333FSB actually runs at; it's multiplied by 2).

When I was in the second grade I was taught that 177 * 2 was very
close to 354 :-) You have a naughty keyboard.

--
"This is a wonderful answer. It's off-topic, it's incorrect,
and it doesn't answer the question." -- Richard Heathfield

"I support the Red Sox and any team that beats the Yankees"