3.10 slower than 3.9

Old December 19th 03, 10:55 PM
Knickers

Word.
Stability and looks is IMHO more interesting than some xtra FPS. 3.10

works
great here. No probs at all.
9800PRO
P-4 2,6
1GB RAM
2X 120GB 7200 WD, 8MB
17" TFT
SB AUDIGY

3.10 has sorted out any problems I have previously.
9800Pro, XP2600, 512Mb Ram

Old December 20th 03, 11:42 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:07:30 GMT, "KCB"
wrote:

"Strontium" wrote in message
You are referring to ~100 points difference. From what I've seen, that is
the margin of error/variaton, for those progs. +/- 100 points, in either,
is negligable.

The margin may be small, but the fact is they are still slower, and the
results are repeatable. I've seen a post here where somebody said he gained
600 points by changing to the 3.10's. I'm merely making the point that *did
not* occur here.

Who knows...? How many other programs do you have installed on your
PC? IM, scanner update, a M$ patch...

Don't worry about... but I guess you will.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 20th 03, 08:32 PM
KCB

wrote:

"Strontium" wrote in message
You are referring to ~100 points difference. From what I've seen, that

is
the margin of error/variaton, for those progs. +/- 100 points, in

either,
is negligable.

The margin may be small, but the fact is they are still slower, and the
results are repeatable. I've seen a post here where somebody said he

gained
600 points by changing to the 3.10's. I'm merely making the point that

*did
not* occur here.

Who knows...? How many other programs do you have installed on your
PC? IM, scanner update, a M$ patch...

Don't worry about... but I guess you will.

All you guys who took a big fit and got all defensive about this post still
seem to not understand that I was merely making the point that not everybody
is going to gain 600 points on their 3d mark scores by changing to the 3.10
drivers. Maybe I chose the wrong subject line or presented the subject
matter poorly. Or maybe, according to K, I'm just too lazy and ignorant!
All I meant by this was to counter the poster which stated that he made a
big jump in his score and everybody should switch to the 3.10 drivers. My
results indicated otherwise. I don't live or die based on 3dmark scores;
this is what the other post used for scoring so I stayed with the same.
Please forgive me for being so stupid and I'll re-consider any impulses I
have about posting here in the future.

Old December 21st 03, 08:52 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:32:29 GMT, "KCB"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Strontium" wrote in message
[...]

Dude... I was just saying... other factors can effect your score...
different video cards may work better than others... But perhaps the
poster had issues with his 3.9 that were fixed, while yours was fine
to begin with.

Going to 3.10 drivers... I'm about the same, but its tricky as I went
from Win98se/3.9 WinXP/3.10

Old December 21st 03, 09:58 PM
Jim

Dont let a few numb nuts keep you away. The whole point of these groups is
to get a wider perspective and that eveyone can post thier view. Some
posters dont have very good people skills and go a bit overboard when they
don't agree.

Old December 22nd 03, 11:47 AM
Strontium

Well, if OP can't handle having a heated (or not) discussion, OP shouldn't
be posting to a public forum. And, if other people not sharing a view or
debating is being 'numb-nutted', I think you've got some problems with
people skills, yourself.

-
Jim stood up at show-n-tell, in OHoFb.615736$Tr4.1598401@attbi_s03, and
said:

Dont let a few numb nuts keep you away. The whole point of these
groups is to get a wider perspective and that eveyone can post thier
view. Some posters dont have very good people skills and go a bit
overboard when they don't agree.

snip
--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old December 22nd 03, 05:34 PM
Jim

" Well, if OP can't handle having a heated (or not) discussion, OP
shouldn't
be posting to a public forum.

A discussion would imply a two way dialog on the topic of the post. The
comments that I made were not concering any discusions posted hear but
rather personal attacks that were uncalled for.

And, if other people not sharing a view or
debating is being 'numb-nutted', I think you've got some problems with
people skills, yourself.

Where did you get this from what I wrote ?

Old December 22nd 03, 07:36 PM
Danny Greaves

This whole thread was just too funny!

Thank's
Dan

--end
Old December 23rd 03, 01:32 AM
RipFlex

Indeed.

It would have been simpler and more mature if the guy stated: "Various
Benchmarks, like 3dmark####, do not dictate real ingame framerates." Or
something to that nature?

I myself have never used a benchmark other than real games.

Quake3 for my opengl benchmark, UT2003 for my D3D benchmark. I only take
note of Minimum Framerates, and over all Game smoothness of play, and of
course keep a sharp eye to detail - make sure they didn't comprimise visual
quality for my framerates and artifacting etc.

Been awhile for any new OGL games, maybe just Doom3, haven't played the War
FPSes.