computer workstation desk

Old January 2nd 15, 09:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dilbert firestorm

Default computer workstation desk

not sure if this is the right group to ask about this.

I've been looking at some modular desk workstation. wood finish would
be cherry.

I'm not sure how this one will be set up. Looking at a J or C or U
configuration depending on how one looks at it.

1st wall, 34"
2nd wall, 136"
3rd wall, 68"

I don't think they make one at 136", so, its 2 tables right there. Issue
with me is the legs.

Preliminary measurements suggest 4 tables.

the is the set up I'm looking to get or at least something similar. the
link of the workstation shown is pretty expensive, $10g. too much LOL!

CITE workstation
http://lacasseofficefurniture.com/wp...sk-Lacasse.jpg

Lacasse office has another one called Pangram which seems more reasonable.

the more cheaper version by Bush workstation
http://media.cymaxstores.com/Images/3830/13067-L.jpg

Bush also has another one called "office in an hour" but its expensive
has privacy panels I don't want.

after some thought, It wouldn't hurt to have some sort of cable
management system with a partial privacy panel behind the desk & off the
floor as my current computer set up is.

would appreciate other listings for companies that carry that sort of thing.

I'm still playing with what will fit in those dimensions. I probably
will get a 3d modeller and figure out the specs and render it.

not too homey, not too officey!

Yeah, its a big computer desk!
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
Old January 2nd 15, 06:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

dilbert firestorm wrote:
[...]

The name of this group, is "homebuilt" :-)

Hideous.

http://homeinteriorsdesigns.info/wp-...desk-ideas.jpg

Good materials, some dimensional changes needed. Mine didn't need
the horizontal rails.

http://www.workbenchplans2.com/wp-co...-workbench.jpg

Even if you hire someone to build it out of wood, it'll
cost less than $10K.

If you want a bulletproof finish, you could use formica or arborite.

My desk is 1.5" thick, and is strong enough to stand on. The
legs are 4"x4" non-PTL posts. L-brackets support the legs,
as well as vertical screws with extra-large heads that
fasten the deck to the posts. The only thing I'd do different
there a second time, is recess those screws better. I thought
initially, I'd be re-tightening those screws all the time,
but they've been stable enough, I could have recessed and filled
them.

Connector bolt for vertical fastener. Two per post. When this product
first came to market, they were $3 each.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/1-4x...-nickel/956530

The head of the connector bolt, looks like the one on the right.
So it's got a large hex drive. If doing it again, I would recess
the head of that, to be flush with the desk top.

http://wedo.hillmangroup.com/ImgMedium/a4704.jpg

*******

And get yourself an Aeron chair, if you have all
that money to burn.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/content/...ron_work_9.jpg

Without the arm rests, it'll pull right into the desk.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/content/...rk_chair_2.jpg

And the large chair, will take a really big ass :-)
(For all you pointy-haired boss types...)

http://store.hermanmiller.com/Products/Aeron-Chair

And none of these chairs, not even Herman Miller,
lasts forever. My current (non-HM) computer chair is quite old,
cost $600 when new, and the tilter broke, the material
in the back rest broke (repaired by reinforcement), the
rubber air rests are crumbling. At least the wheels
still work :-) So I can pretend for my $600, I got
a set of five really nice wheels :-) That's only
$120 a wheel, plus the rest of the rubbish above the
wheels was free.

Paul
Old January 3rd 15, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dilbert firestorm

On 1/2/2015 12:42 PM, Paul wrote:
Hideous.

what was hideous?

yeah, I know the group is homebuilt, but the desk is for the computer,
so, if the shoe fits....

--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
Old January 3rd 15, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

dilbert firestorm wrote:
On 1/2/2015 12:42 PM, Paul wrote:
Hideous.

what was hideous?

yeah, I know the group is homebuilt, but the desk is for the computer,
so, if the shoe fits....

Shouldn't build legs out of plywood.

Posts leave room for legs, chair wheels and so on.

It's even possible posts are cheaper than sheet plywood.

Paul
Old January 3rd 15, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 14:07:18 -0500, Paul wrote:

yeah, I know the group is homebuilt, but the desk is for the computer,
so, if the shoe fits....

Shouldn't build legs out of plywood.

Posts leave room for legs, chair wheels and so on.

It's even possible posts are cheaper than sheet plywood.

I was going to use a kitchen worktop and six of these legs. They are
thinking of putting a rail line through my lounge so I've not done it
until I move.

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old January 3rd 15, 07:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 19:29:11 +0000 (GMT), Rodney Pont wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 14:07:18 -0500, Paul wrote:

yeah, I know the group is homebuilt, but the desk is for the computer,
so, if the shoe fits....

Shouldn't build legs out of plywood.

Posts leave room for legs, chair wheels and so on.

It's even possible posts are cheaper than sheet plywood.

I was going to use a kitchen worktop and six of these legs. They are
thinking of putting a rail line through my lounge so I've not done it
until I move.

How about a url :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321554505775

Old January 3rd 15, 08:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Rodney Pont wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 19:29:11 +0000 (GMT), Rodney Pont wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 14:07:18 -0500, Paul wrote:

yeah, I know the group is homebuilt, but the desk is for the computer,
so, if the shoe fits....

Shouldn't build legs out of plywood.

Posts leave room for legs, chair wheels and so on.

It's even possible posts are cheaper than sheet plywood.

I was going to use a kitchen worktop and six of these legs. They are
thinking of putting a rail line through my lounge so I've not done it
until I move.

How about a url :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321554505775

Those look like "Ikea-Legs". Same legs as my
Ikea temporary table uses.

The only problem I had with a concept like
that, is the length. Maybe those leg can be cut down,
on the non-mounting end or something. If I used 710mm here,
that would be a bit too much for my application.

Paul
Old January 3rd 15, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 15:37:31 -0500, Paul wrote:

How about a url :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321554505775

Those look like "Ikea-Legs". Same legs as my
Ikea temporary table uses.

The only problem I had with a concept like
that, is the length. Maybe those leg can be cut down,
on the non-mounting end or something. If I used 710mm here,
that would be a bit too much for my application.

It says that you can remove the plastic foot if you wish to cut the
tube down a bit.

Old January 3rd 15, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 21:10:27 +0000 (GMT), Rodney Pont wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321554505775

Those look like "Ikea-Legs". Same legs as my
Ikea temporary table uses.

The only problem I had with a concept like
that, is the length. Maybe those leg can be cut down,
on the non-mounting end or something. If I used 710mm here,
that would be a bit too much for my application.

It says that you can remove the plastic foot if you wish to cut the
tube down a bit.

I've got a sort of shelf for a keyboard that screws on below the
worktop and would make the height of the keyboard about 630mm. Back in
the late '80s I cut down two broom handles to make legs for my
breakfast bar. We weren't 'spoilt' with ready made legs in those days
:-)

Old January 3rd 15, 11:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Rodney Pont wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 21:10:27 +0000 (GMT), Rodney Pont wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321554505775

Those look like "Ikea-Legs". Same legs as my
Ikea temporary table uses.

The only problem I had with a concept like
that, is the length. Maybe those leg can be cut down,
on the non-mounting end or something. If I used 710mm here,
that would be a bit too much for my application.

It says that you can remove the plastic foot if you wish to cut the
tube down a bit.

I've got a sort of shelf for a keyboard that screws on below the
worktop and would make the height of the keyboard about 630mm. Back in
the late '80s I cut down two broom handles to make legs for my
breakfast bar. We weren't 'spoilt' with ready made legs in those days
:-)

Here in Canada, we used to use hockey stick wood, from
worn out hockey sticks, for a job like that :-)

It's been a long time since I owned a working hockey stick,
as they're all cut up.

And the Ikea store can provide useful bits and pieces,
even for furniture hacking. When I needed shelving for my
"multimedia rack", I started with an Ikea rack system. But
the shelves weren't wide enough, to put two stereo components
next to one another. (Like, put the cassette dubbing deck,
next to the receiver, on the same shelf.) So what I did in that
case, is bought pine shelves (Home Depot pine sheets that
they laminate together from smaller lumber). Then made some
new screw holes in the metal frame of the rack, and adjusted
all the scissor-shaped stiffeners in the back of the rack.
Voila... A rack wide enough for two stereo components, side
by side. So even if an Ikea item isn't perfect for the job,
somethings the fittings can be used to make something "better".
I'm sure somewhere in the Ikea instructions, it says
not to do that :-)

Paul

cloning software, data from a HP xw4600 workstation(running Windowsvista 32 bit) to HP z200 workstation(running Windows 7 64 bit) t General 23 August 28th 12 03:25 AM
choosing a wider computer monitor for a HP xw 4600 workstation g General 10 February 4th 11 02:05 PM
Scan to ... workstation / PC / computer - not available for -LASERJET PRO CM1410 COLOR MFP SERIES thijs Dell Computers 0 October 28th 10 11:24 AM
Help desk Robert Dell Computers 1 October 6th 04 06:48 AM
Building a Workstation-Grade Computer Damaeus Homebuilt PC's 9 August 20th 04 07:12 PM