Wi-Fi security?

Old December 24th 14, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe[_9_]

Default Wi-Fi security?

Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GL

When Windows starts and I connect to the router's Wi-Fi, other connections
pop-up at the same time showing 100% signal strength (like the router's Wi-
Fi). That seems strange.

Can I assume that any and all connections to the router are shown after
signing in (with password) to the router's "DHCP Active IP Table"?

DHCP Server IP Address : 192.168.2.1

Should I know anything about 192.168.1...?

We've had no complaints from the ISP. I don't know how to measure total
traffic on the router.

Thanks.

Old December 24th 14, 08:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
mathedman

On 12/24/2014 12:58 PM, John Doe wrote:
Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GL

When Windows starts and I connect to the router's Wi-Fi, other connections
pop-up at the same time showing 100% signal strength (like the router's Wi-
Fi). That seems strange.

Why strange? The routers (yours anf your neighbors') transmit the
signal. You don't know their key so their presence means nothing

Can I assume that any and all connections to the router are shown after
signing in (with password) to the router's "DHCP Active IP Table"?

You're not "connected to your router" physically - you're receiving
it's transmitted signals --wireless! Like radio!
You would have no idea if others were using your router --but they
can't receive content from your router unless they know the "key".

DHCP Server IP Address : 192.168.2.1

Should I know anything about 192.168.1...?

Just that it's your IP address --you have no real use for it.

If someone from "out there" used their browser with this IP
address, they'd get your router and then be asked for the routers password.

We've had no complaints from the ISP. I don't know how to measure total
traffic on the router.

Your ISP doesn't know which routers' signals you're picking up!

Thanks.

Charter Cable Co. offers an on-line router speed test for what it's
worth--but so you know your speed. Is that helpful?

Old December 24th 14, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Char Jackson

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 14:45:57 -0600, mathedman wrote:

[...]

Assuming no typos, if the DHCP server is at 192.168.2.1 and we assume a
netmask of 255.255.255.0, then there won't be any valid IP's at 192.168.1.x
since those are outside of the range allowed by the netmask.

If someone from "out there" used their browser with this IP
address, they'd get your router and then be asked for the routers password.

No, since these are part of the RFC1918 address space, and are therefore not
Internet routable. To have any hope of getting to someone's router from the
Internet, you need to know their WAN IP, not their LAN IP.

Old January 14th 15, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

Default Dustin Cook Threatens G Morgan

On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 at 4:15:44 PM UTC-6, G wrote:
In article . 145
Dustin wrote:
[...]

5mp ip camera with IR, motion triggering, and 2.8-12mm lens

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AOTE-5MP-108...em1c352 74c2a

security Stan[_6_] Nvidia Videocards 0 May 21st 13 05:32 PM
SAN & NAS security Slawek[_2_] Storage & Hardrives 3 March 21st 07 04:59 AM
SAN & NAS security Slawek[_2_] Storage & Hardrives 1 March 16th 07 09:53 PM
IP cam security? Bob Day Webcams 9 August 1st 05 10:32 AM
WOL Security Notan Dell Computers 10 July 3rd 05 03:38 PM