D865PERL board RAID or NOT?

Old September 26th 06, 02:14 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

Default D865PERL board RAID or NOT?

Hi all,

I have a D865PERL motherboard and I was wondering
how I can tell if it has RAID capability or not. There
doesn't seem to be anything in the BIOS to set for this
capability. It is upgraded to the latest BIOS version,
21. I have two sata hd's connected but they seem to
install as just two plain drives in XP. I downloaded the
raid software from Intels website and did the F6 thing
and it took it off the floppy but didn't make any
difference in the hd configurations. So is it possible I
got a non raid capable board?

thanks,
charles......

Old September 26th 06, 03:22 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Brownz @ Work

***** charles wrote:
Hi all,

I have a D865PERL motherboard and I was wondering
how I can tell if it has RAID capability or not. There
doesn't seem to be anything in the BIOS to set for this
capability. It is upgraded to the latest BIOS version,
21. I have two sata hd's connected but they seem to
install as just two plain drives in XP. I downloaded the
raid software from Intels website and did the F6 thing
and it took it off the floppy but didn't make any
difference in the hd configurations. So is it possible I
got a non raid capable board?

thanks,
charles......

The link below shows which boards have RAID and which don't.
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd..._available.htm

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Old September 26th 06, 03:28 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

"Brownz @ Work"
wrote in message ...
***** charles wrote:
Hi all,

I have a D865PERL motherboard and I was wondering
how I can tell if it has RAID capability or not. There
doesn't seem to be anything in the BIOS to set for this
capability. It is upgraded to the latest BIOS version,
21. I have two sata hd's connected but they seem to
install as just two plain drives in XP. I downloaded the
raid software from Intels website and did the F6 thing
and it took it off the floppy but didn't make any
difference in the hd configurations. So is it possible I
got a non raid capable board?

thanks,
charles......

The link below shows which boards have RAID and which don't.
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd..._available.htm

Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

The chart indicates that the "black" boards have raid. I think
mine is black but there is no place in the cmos that indicates
the configuration of the sata drives either regular or raid.
Shouldn't the cmos be configurable?

thanks....

Old September 26th 06, 07:27 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Brownz \(mobile\)

***** charles wrote:
"Brownz @ Work"
wrote in message ...
***** charles wrote:
[...]

Should be a chapter in the TPS about CMOS settings :

ftp://download.intel.com/design/moth...l/C3176401.pdf

I don't have a PERL here, only a GLC.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Old September 26th 06, 11:05 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Compfix

"***** charles" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a D865PERL motherboard and I was wondering
how I can tell if it has RAID capability or not. There
doesn't seem to be anything in the BIOS to set for this
capability. It is upgraded to the latest BIOS version,
21. I have two sata hd's connected but they seem to
install as just two plain drives in XP. I downloaded the
raid software from Intels website and did the F6 thing
and it took it off the floppy but didn't make any
difference in the hd configurations. So is it possible I
got a non raid capable board?

thanks,
charles......

Here is what the 865perl pdf has to say: (Long Post)
1.7.3.2 Serial ATA Interfaces

The ICH5's Serial ATA controller offers two independent Serial ATA ports
with a theoretical

maximum transfer rate of 150 MB/s per port. One device can be installed on
each port for a

maximum of two Serial ATA devices. A point-to-point interface is used for
host to device

connections, unlike IDE which supports a master/slave configuration and two
devices per channel.

For compatibility, the underlying Serial ATA functionality is transparent to
the operating system.

The Serial ATA controller can operate in both legacy and native modes. In
legacy mode, standard

IDE I/O and IRQ resources are assigned (IRQ 14 and 15). In Native mode,
standard PCI resource

steering is used. Native mode is the preferred mode for configurations using
the Windows XP and

Windows 2000 operating systems.

? NOTE

Many Serial ATA drives use new low-voltage power connectors and require
adaptors or power

supplies equipped with low-voltage power connectors.

For information about Refer to

Serial ATA http://www.serialata.org

1.7.3.3 Intel® RAID Technology

Boards equipped with the ICH5-R support RAID (Redundant Array of Independent
Drives) level 0

on the Serial ATA ports. RAID 0 provides the ability to support striping.
Two physical drives, of

identical size, can be teamed together to create one logical drive. As data
is written or retrieved

from the logical drive, both drives operate in parallel, thus increasing the
throughput.

? NOTE

The ICH5-R provides support for RAID 0 and RAID boot in Windows XP only.

1.7.3.4 RAID Boot Configuration Overview

A RAID array can be created by using the existing Serial ATA Ports,
correctly configuring the

BIOS, and installing drivers. The following steps are required to
successfully establish a RAID

configuration.

1. Enable RAID Support in BIOS.

2. Create a RAID array using the Intel® Application Accelerator (IAA)
utility.

3. Install the IAA 3.0 RAID driver.

4. Format the RAID array.

5. Install the IAA 3.0 Companion Utility (this step is optional).

For information about Refer to

The location of the Serial ATA connectors Figure 22, page 68

The signal names of the Serial ATA connectors Table 36, page 69

The BIOS Setup program's Boot menu Table 73, page 118

Serial ATA RAID configuration http://developer.intel.com/design/

motherbd/rl/index.htm

Hope this helps

Bob

Old September 27th 06, 06:00 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

"Brownz (mobile)"
wrote in message ...
***** charles wrote:
"Brownz @ Work"
wrote in message ...
***** charles wrote:
[...]

Bad news, the board is a green one, no raid. Which leads
to the next question - is there a SATA300 PCI 2.2 card
out there that supports booting and does raid in hardware
and has 2 ports and I can get drivers for it under XP?

thanks,
charles.....

Old September 27th 06, 06:05 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
***** charles

"Compfix" wrote in message

"***** charles" wrote in message
[...]

Went through the steps, then found out the board doesn't support
the raid stuff.

thanks,
charles.....

Old September 27th 06, 08:59 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Brownz @ Work

***** charles wrote:
"Brownz (mobile)"
wrote in message ...
***** charles wrote:
"Brownz @ Work"
wrote in message ...
***** charles wrote:
[...]

Loads.... just put - pci sata 300 raid card - into google.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Too many RAID options!! Ron Krebs Asus Motherboards 5 September 24th 06 07:00 AM
RAID 1 vs RAID 5 and to the bottom of it ! John Storage (alternative) 12 September 21st 06 10:55 PM
IDE RAID Ted Dawson Asus Motherboards 29 September 21st 04 03:39 AM
How Create SATA RAID 1 with current install? Mr Mister Asus Motherboards 8 July 25th 04 10:46 PM
How to set up RAID 0+1 on P4C800E-DLX MB -using 4 SATA HDD's & 2 ATA133 HHD? Data Wing Asus Motherboards 2 June 5th 04 03:47 PM