05A/05B compatible

Old September 16th 06, 01:52 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
PulpZx

Default 05A/05B compatible

I am getting ready to build a system using the Intel DG965WHMKR G965
Express motherboard. I have read, this is a 05B motherboard.
My question, Can I use a 05A Intel P4 Processor 641 3.20 GHz.

TIA
Old September 16th 06, 12:53 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Brownz \(mobile\)

PulpZx wrote:
I am getting ready to build a system using the Intel DG965WHMKR G965
Express motherboard. I have read, this is a 05B motherboard.
My question, Can I use a 05A Intel P4 Processor 641 3.20 GHz.

TIA

Yup,

FMB 05B = 130W

FMB 05A = 95W

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Old September 16th 06, 06:05 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
PulpZx

On 16 Sep 2006, you wrote in comp.sys.intel:

PulpZx wrote:
I am getting ready to build a system using the Intel DG965WHMKR G965
Express motherboard. I have read, this is a 05B motherboard.
My question, Can I use a 05A Intel P4 Processor 641 3.20 GHz.

TIA

Yup,

FMB 05B = 130W

FMB 05A = 95W

What if this 05A chip came from a friend that wrongly installed it on a 04B
motherboard. And found out it wouldn't work.
Would the chip still be Good, or is it damaged now?
Old September 16th 06, 07:18 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Brownz \(mobile\)

PulpZx wrote:
I am getting ready to build a system using the Intel DG965WHMKR G965
Express motherboard. I have read, this is a 05B motherboard.
My question, Can I use a 05A Intel P4 Processor 641 3.20 GHz.

TIA

Yup,

FMB 05B = 130W

FMB 05A = 95W

What if this 05A chip came from a friend that wrongly installed it on
a 04B motherboard. And found out it wouldn't work.
Would the chip still be Good, or is it damaged now?

Thats fine.
If you tried to install an 05B processor on a board that only supported 05A,
you may run into probs such as VRM's that couldn't handle it, but t'other
way round is fine. You're putting a 95W processor in a board that can handle
up to 130W.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Old September 17th 06, 01:34 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
PulpZx

"Brownz \(mobile\)" wrote in
:

PulpZx wrote:
I am getting ready to build a system using the Intel DG965WHMKR
G965 Express motherboard. I have read, this is a 05B motherboard.
My question, Can I use a 05A Intel P4 Processor 641 3.20 GHz.

TIA

Yup,

FMB 05B = 130W

FMB 05A = 95W

What if this 05A chip came from a friend that wrongly installed it on
a 04B motherboard. And found out it wouldn't work.
Would the chip still be Good, or is it damaged now?

Thats fine.
If you tried to install an 05B processor on a board that only
supported 05A, you may run into probs such as VRM's that couldn't
handle it, but t'other way round is fine. You're putting a 95W
processor in a board that can handle up to 130W.

Thanks for the info, I know it would run on my 05B board.
Its just that I am buying it from a friend that has a 04B board.
I am not sure but I think the 04B board (D915PCY board) uses 1.4v max.
And the 05A cpu chip that he is selling was installed on this 04B board
briefly. The 05A box says 1.3v max. Do you think this chip is dead now?
The sSpecs(SL94X)on the 05A cpu from intel's website say Core Voltage
1.25V-1.4V. So I am guessing it is still a good cpu and not damaged by
the 04B board? I will know for sure in a couple of days, when I try it
out. I wonder if this problem has happened to anybody else out there?
Putting a 05A chip on a 04B motherboard is pretty retarded but asking if
the cpu is still functional may be just as retarded. I don't know
Old September 17th 06, 08:06 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
GHalleck

PulpZx wrote:

"Brownz \(mobile\)" wrote in
:

PulpZx wrote:

[...]

If you are going to be this worried and paranoid about buying
this chip and/or offending the friend, then don't do it. There
are things in life that are more valuable than trying to figure
out what CPU to obtain. Go to the spec sheet of the motherboard
to resolve the question.
Old September 18th 06, 07:56 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
JimBar44

PulpZx wrote:
I am getting ready to build a system using the Intel DG965WHMKR G965
Express motherboard. I have read, this is a 05B motherboard.
My question, Can I use a 05A Intel P4 Processor 641 3.20 GHz.

TIA

I have just decided to use this board also. I was thinking about the Pentium
D840 or the Pentium D930.

Any thing you can tell me about your instal would be helpful.

Thanks!

James in Northeast Texas

Old September 18th 06, 10:31 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Trent

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:34:53 -0500 PulpZx wrote in
Message id: :

I am not sure but I think the 04B board (D915PCY board) uses 1.4v max.
And the 05A cpu chip that he is selling was installed on this 04B board
briefly. The 05A box says 1.3v max. Do you think this chip is dead now?
The sSpecs(SL94X)on the 05A cpu from intel's website say Core Voltage
1.25V-1.4V. So I am guessing it is still a good cpu and not damaged by
the 04B board?

If the board was built properly and followed Intel's specification for the
core supply, then no, it would not be damaged. Intel's spec requires that
any motherboard that cannot supply the correct Vcore that the CPU requests
through the VID pins, shut down the core power supply.
Old September 21st 06, 02:53 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
PulpZx

"JimBar44" u26768@uwe wrote in news:66769c80a9bc0@uwe:

PulpZx wrote:
I am getting ready to build a system using the Intel DG965WHMKR G965
Express motherboard. I have read, this is a 05B motherboard.
My question, Can I use a 05A Intel P4 Processor 641 3.20 GHz.

TIA

I have just decided to use this board also. I was thinking about the
Pentium D840 or the Pentium D930.

Any thing you can tell me about your instal would be helpful.

Thanks!

James in Northeast Texas

Well I have built the system using DG965WHMKR and the 641 CPU in question.
All went fine, no problems to mention. The board is fast and the cpu is
fast enough for me at the moment. I would recommend a good power supply and
nice case. I plan on getting some DDR2 800 memory next, only using 533 now.
This board has alot of features that I am still learning about.
Post some questions if you have any,
Old September 21st 06, 07:29 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
JimBar44 via HWKB.com

I will order the same DG965whmkr and a intel 840 or 930 cpu. Should be in
next week or week after. What size fans and how many are you using? I thought
I would put in two 120mm fans. Are you using a variable speed CPU fan? I see
there is a BIOS update listed on Intel's site. Have you installed the new
bios?

Thanks

James

PulpZx wrote:
I am getting ready to build a system using the Intel DG965WHMKR G965
Express motherboard. I have read, this is a 05B motherboard.

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]