Interesting install of WinAmp yesterday

Old January 21st 15, 12:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Interesting install of WinAmp yesterday

Wanted to try a particular VST/DSP sound processing package giving me
difficulties with my standard DSP frontend wrapper

Going behind a firewall and filter, I installed it, ignoring and
denying Winamp's attempt to "phone in" back to home.

So much for not physically disconnecting PWR to the modem/router,
which I hadn't.

The install, evidently, is affiliated with nearby urban corporate
centre, located within 50 miles of a greater metropolitan area wherein
I reside.

I physically contacted them. They've ties to some sort of energy and
equipment interests, as well, a brief mention for marketing. Some
sort of an in-the-know operation that isn't wearing intents on their
cuffs or their webpage.

They had my phone number, name and address, and were calling me before
I even completed the installation. No one would say anything, as the
call was in all likelihood automated to incur a human response for
evaluation and filing purposes.

(I, naturally, tracked down the reverse caller's ID to find out who
had initiated it.)

(The program WinAmp will of course install without processing you for
at least an initial evaluation;- as I said, all I needed was to check
a DSP addition's functionality.)

Sickly sweet and loaded with all the latest DirectX drivers, didn't
take long to form an impression before performing a 40-second binary
restoration of the entire OS to ensure any contaminated trace remains
were digitally obliviated, or close enough to a state of oblivion.

Should have turned off the modem. I don't like uninvited people
selling candy, who take themselves seriously enough to call me on my
personal phone number.

WinAmp is Russian-authored codeworks, btw.

hydravision and winamp 5 Shadow Ati Videocards 3 October 16th 05 05:05 PM
New build - slow Winamp OVS General 7 November 20th 04 05:18 PM
Playlist in WINAMP zero Cdr 3 January 27th 04 03:22 AM
Can't listen to CDs on Winamp 2.81 anymore JMP Cdr 5 November 20th 03 11:48 PM
Cannot play audio CD's in Winamp Folk Cdr 1 August 25th 03 10:39 PM