upgrade recommendations?

Old March 25th 04, 10:49 PM
Lee

Default upgrade recommendations?

Hello

I have decided to build a new machine based around an intel P4!! been using
amd for long time so intel gonna be new to me.

The motherboard i been looking at is the Asus P4S800D-E and along with a P4
2.8ghz Prescott processor, what do you ppl think of this?
I would like to do some good overclocking too so what ram would you
recommend (not too expensive)

Thank you for the info.
-----
Lee.
Old March 26th 04, 04:45 AM
Silvertip

I just ordered the parts to upgrade my P4 1.8 system. After many questions
and many days spent on newsgroups and forums, I decided that the best bang
for MY buck (on limited budget) was the ASUS P4C800 E Delux mobo, P4 2.6C HT
800 Mhz, and for memory, since I would prefer to keep the ratio at 1:1 (and
hopefully o/c to 250 FSB), I chose OCZ Performance Series PC4200 2X512mb.
The mobo seems to be rated as one of the best for overclocking and also
stability. The 2.6 CPU appears to o/c a little better than the 2.8 due to
the difference in the multiplier. I fully expect :-) to be able to hit 3.2
and with any luck should hit 3.4. This is replacing a P4 1.8 100Mhz o/c'd
to 145 FSB giving me 2.6, with my memory (Samsung PC2700 DDR 333) at 384.
If I had not planned on using these parts to build a 98SE flight sim box, I
would have used this Samsung memory in my new mobo and just set the ratio to
5:4 which probably would have let me reach the 250 FSB target. New parts
were purchased from NewEgg. HTH
Silvertip

Old March 26th 04, 07:01 AM
_@_.com

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:49:29 GMT, Lee
wrote:

Hello

I have decided to build a new machine based around an intel P4!! been using
amd for long time so intel gonna be new to me.

The motherboard i been looking at is the Asus P4S800D-E and along with a P4
2.8ghz Prescott processor, what do you ppl think of this?
I would like to do some good overclocking too so what ram would you
recommend (not too expensive)

Thank you for the info.
-----
Lee.

From some reviews I read, Intel stepped on their dicks with the
Prescott. Apparently it runs hot even though it's a smaller die
process. Sounds like a swing and a miss. Stick with the older P4.

I'd check it out if I were you. I'm not really the Intel P4 expert

Old March 26th 04, 07:50 AM
Dennis E Strausser jr

wrote:

Hello

I have decided to build a new machine based around an intel P4!! been

using
amd for long time so intel gonna be new to me.

The motherboard i been looking at is the Asus P4S800D-E and along with a

P4
2.8ghz Prescott processor, what do you ppl think of this?
I would like to do some good overclocking too so what ram would you
recommend (not too expensive)

Thank you for the info.
-----
Lee.

From some reviews I read, Intel stepped on their dicks with the
Prescott. Apparently it runs hot even though it's a smaller die
process. Sounds like a swing and a miss. Stick with the older P4.

I'd check it out if I were you. I'm not really the Intel P4 expert

Me too man. Stick with P4C (Northwood) The Prescott's benchmarks are not
even enough
to beat the system I have. P4C 2.6 GHz @ 3.34 GHz I do have water though.

Someone said about a 250 FSB, you should be able to hit that with Very
little extra vcore.
And maybe a slight boost in volts in Ram.
vcore = try 1.550
That brand of ram should be able to handle 2.8 Volts
.2 Over
I may be done pushing this thing further till I get better cooling for my HD
Once you get to en extreme enough Overclock, you need a boost in AGP & PCI
to keep CPU Performance. People have argued with me on this.
Here's what I get without Overclock on Video & stuff.
Or close anyway...
MIPS = 9880 About
MFLOPS seem to stay the same
But MIPS goes up to 10,and some change with Overclocking the AGP & PCI
10,200 10,020 Trying to give @ least some
idea of what I get.
I cant run Sandra & write this and get a good benchmark.
All programs need to be closed first.
Denny. :-) Always with a smile, even if times are bad.

Old March 26th 04, 12:40 PM
Ed Forsythe

Hi Lee,
I'd suggest going with the P4C800E-Deluxe - it's a great OCing MB *and* I
would be inclined to stay away from the SiS chipset. Intel CPUs work best
with Intel chipsets. I chose an ABIT IC7-Max3 but only out of brand
loyalty, OTES, and the cool black PCB ;-). I've had three ABIT boards and
all have been great. *Please* nix the Prescott and go with a P4 "C" CPU.
Prescotts run extremely hot and don't OC as well as the Northwoods.

According to the stats on Overclockers.com the 2.8C is a better OCing
candidate than the 2.6C. The average 2.6C OC is 3381 MHz while the 2.8C is
3493 MHz. - check it out her www.overclockers.com At NewEgg the 2.6C =
$181 and the 2.8C = $184.

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on RAM - That's the last piece in
*my* puzzle and I can't make a decision *But* from all I've read good
PC3500-PC3700 should let you reach your goal. BTW, you didn't mention a PS!
That's where many builders foul-up. The PS is the heart of your system so
buy one with a reputation for providing clean, stable, reliable power. As
most here know s I'm a rabid PC Power and Cooling fan. They are the
undisputable leaders in PS *but* they are expensive. My Turbo Cool 510
Deluxe has 34A on the +12V rail and it will last forever or at least
until I *have* to upgrade to a 700W unit. I know you're trying to save bucks
but you want your new box to last for three years so build it *strong* BG.

Good luck -
--
Tally Ho!
Ed,

Old March 26th 04, 10:25 PM
Superbezo

Lee a pensé très fort :
Hello

I have decided to build a new machine based around an intel P4!! been using
amd for long time so intel gonna be new to me.

The motherboard i been looking at is the Asus P4S800D-E and along with a P4
2.8ghz Prescott processor, what do you ppl think of this?
I would like to do some good overclocking too so what ram would you
recommend (not too expensive)

Thank you for the info.
-----
Lee.

i just buikd a new PC
chaintech zenith 9cjs + prescott 2.8 + corsair pc3700 2*512

the CPU is overclocked at 3,43 Ghz with 1:1 ratio (corsair support 245
Mhz
instead of nominal 233 ...)

all is fine and the chaintech motherboard is expensive but the best in
my mind.

--
Superbezo

Old March 27th 04, 03:31 PM